Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM

21 posts, read 31,237 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I currently live near Tampa, FL, and we've had it up to here with the place. I have lived here for going on 27 years, and she has lived here off and on since birth (24) as well. The heat, the thick humidity, the flat landscape, the awful politics, the bad drivers, the pill junkies, the boredom and stagnation have all finally reached a point of critical mass, and we are more than ready for a totally new, completely alien environment. New street signs, new smells in the air, different looking trees...you get the idea. We think Portland is a great fit for our mindset and world-view. We are both VERY passionate about animal rights (but not to the point of PETA-mentality pushy extremism), which, among other reasons, has led us to the decision to become vegan. This is not a lifestyle/mindset that is very catered-to or accepted where we currently live...we're constantly answering a condescending "Why?" when we tell others of our choice. We are very environmentally conscious, accepting and tolerant of all walks of life, and wish to see the world begin to take measures to ensure its continued longevity. As a recreational and somewhat, at times, medicinal user, I am in favor of re-educating the world regarding the risks, rewards, and many issues surrounding the use of cannabis on a more realistic basis. I am very much a naturalist and hate watching the human race destroy in a generation the environment took hundreds upon thousands of years to form.

Hopefully this gives you a relatively clear idea on where our minds are. Now to the inevitable questions:
Currently, we both work in grocery retail earning hourly wages, and rent a 1/1 in one of the nicer apartment complexes in town. We stay comfortable financially, and while modest, we think we get by pretty well. Affording internet/cable/cell phones/gas+insurance on 2 cars (only one of which will make the move with us) is never a problem from month to month...to give you an idea of our standards of living. We are about 15-20 minutes from the city limits and enjoy our separation from, yet easy access to the "hustle and bustle" of the city. I'm wondering, for a couple such as ourselves doing the kind of work we do, is it feasible to expect to find a comfortable, modest existence (such as the one we currently enjoy in Tampa) in Portland, while working the same type of jobs?

Another less wordy question - I always have, and always will, love dogs, and will always have one as a pet. We have a shelter rescue right now, and would like to find ourselves another puppy when we get out there. What is the climate in Portland regarding pets (in general), and Pit Bulls (specifically)? I have grown up around the breed and am very interested in owning one, preferably a neutered male. I just don't want to expect that I'll one day be able to own one out there, only to find out that I may arrive to a city on the brink of enacting some sort of legislation regarding the breed. I don't want issues with the dog, and I'm just curious if they're specifically looked down upon, targeted by the local media, etc.

Sorry this was so long. I thank you for reading this novel and look forward to any and all of your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,591 times
What's your budget for rent? That will help people tell you what neighborhoods to look in. Pit Bulls? You're going to get the people who hate 'em and people who think its a training/owner issue. Over the past few years a lot of people and pets have been mauled and/or killed by dogs so there are a few folks who definitely do not like Pits. You may run into trouble trying to rent with a Pit so be prepared for that.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM

95 posts, read 201,184 times
You guys sound like you would fit right in here, according to my experiences in living here (only a couple months worth)
I live in the heart of the NW District (Alphabet District, Nob Hill....too many names to count) and it doesn't feel like a city. Not compared to the AZ city, anyway....i always feel safe and its surprisingly quiet at night, even with a bar across the street.
There was actually just a story on the local news about pit bulls within the last few weeks (i think..not sure on the time frame.)...they were wanting to ban the breed altogether because of a recent attack by a group of 3 or 4 running loose.
There were protesters galore, and i would be surprised if it actually went through.

Anyway, good luck with your decision...moving here was the best thing we have ever done...We love it more and more the longer were here...just feels like home

Have a great night!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Well right now we're paying $775 and that's well within our grasp. That's Tampa dollars though, I don't know what the "conversion rate" is.

Renting with a Pit in a complex, I realize is probably not do-able. Our plan was if we couldn't find an apartment that allowed it, that we'd wait to get it until we were somewhere that did. I guess I meant more the prevailing attitude of folks.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
We have friends who are in a very similar situation to you. They both work for Trader Joe's (different stores one in WA one in Pdx), and live over the river in Vancouver (not in town but a suburb (although many would advise you not to live there and work in Pdx) and most (myself included) will advise you to not live there period). They get by just fine.

The city is quite vegan/veggie friendly. $775 will easily get you a 1/1 in Pdx, and if you look hard enough you might even find one in a desirable neighborhood, otherwise you'll be just on the outskirts of the main sections of town (which isn't a horrible place to live, but not ideal for many).

Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks, guys. For a while, it's been West Coast or bust in my head, and my recent research on your city has pretty much convinced me that it's the place for us. Now that it doesn't seem impossible, cost prohibitive, or just another farfetched dream, I can't wait to get out there!

I realize the weather is mostly gloomy...at least that's what I understand. I realize that, being born and raised in the Sunshine State, it will be a culture shock...and to be honest that's exactly what I'm looking for. Are there any other common "dealbreakers", per se, that people have about moving there?

Also...state income tax. Florida has none so I have zero experience with this. How does it work? Is it like federal where they withhold it from your pay, then they calculate what you owe and send you back the difference (if one exists)? Or is it an out of pocket check one must plan toward each year? I apoligize if I seem naive about this but as I said, I've never had to deal with it so I want to know what to expect.

I want this move to be for real, and not fall on my ass in a few months and end up back down here. I just want to amass as much information, good and bad, as possible about the area and the various caveats that come with living in the area. I want to make sure I'm doing it right, and while I feel we'll find ourselves at home and among like-minded individuals...I guess maybe I'm just over-thinking this, but it will be one of, if not THE, biggest decisions I have ever made, and the more info the better.

One last thing - Tampa has a very active "underground" metal scene. Lots of small, barely promoted shows in smoky dives in the seedy parts of town. We are the home of many death metal bands (Death, Obituary, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Massacre, Six Feet Under, etc etc etc...) so I guess you can say it's in my blood. (By no means am I your typical long haired, crazy drunk metalhead, in fact I've quit drinking altogether...I just love the music ) Is there such a scene in Portland? What would one say the majority of small, local bands tend to play?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
The state income tax does work like a federal where it will be reduced from your paycheck. It is quite high here, since we have no sales tax to pay for anything (all funds are raised through income and property tax (which you will also pay indirectly renting)). As long as you set it up correctly when you get a job, you usually won't have to pay anything at tax time. One thing though, many states have more of a progressive income tax, but OR does not. Even if you're in one of the lower income tax brackets you'll still pay a fairly high rate (at least what I was used to in other states).

Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
The music in Portland is best described as Indie Rock, although I'm sure there is a metal scene if you look for it. You will definitely find a huge variety of vegetarian/vegan places, and I doubt you will have to do much explaining to people what that is. The biggest shock will be the weather, but it sounds like you are looking forward to it, so hopefully you will be prepared. It's pretty hard on me, coming from another "sunshine" state (Colorado) and I even live in the "sunny" part of Oregon! Good luck on your move.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
The good and bad about Portland (as compared to other big cities):

Good- clean and friendly, good schools in the surrounding communities, easy and close access to the mountains and beaches, more or less 4 seasons (overall, a moderate climate) arts, restaurants, diverse, deeply liberal politics with intolerable views otherwise

Bad- gang issues, largest population of homeless youths (and associated issues) in the USA, very poor city schools, high taxes, deeply liberal politics with intolerable views otherwise

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Two problems I can forsee for you. Jobs and apartments.

There are few opportunities in the grocery business. Recently this local grocery store held a job fair. They anticipated 1500 applicants for 100 openings. I heard a report after the fair was over that there were actually 1000 applicants.

Looking for work? New Seasons is holding a job fair | Events | Beaverton News

Fred Meyers which is owned by Kroger is often hiring but usually only at part time. It's a union thing I won't go into but you could probably get at least a part time job there. Wal-Mart is usually hiring. The other supermarkets advertise openings from time to time. They would be Safeway, Albertson's, Bi-Mart and CostCo. There may be others but these come to mind.

Regarding apartments, $775 will maybe get you a studio apartment in the city proper. You would do better in the 'burbs although from the description you give of yourself, I think you are more the city type.

There are lots of vegans here and marijuana activists. You will find many who reflect your views. But a word to the wise. It is not advisable to come here with the idea of "re-educating the world." Most Oregonians do not like to be preached to by newly arrived transplants. Even if they are in agreement with you.

After all is said and done, if you are able to secure jobs here and surround yourself with like-minded people, I think you will like it. Do you plan to come out for a visit? That would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland