Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 122,599 times

Advertisements

Is there a better county then the other for schooling?
How is Washington county schools. Saw on CNN Money magazine
that Sherwood is rated #18 out of a 100 for best places to live.
Anyone have feedback on that. Thank you kindly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffreys View Post
Is there a better county then the other for schooling?
How is Washington county schools. Saw on CNN Money magazine
that Sherwood is rated #18 out of a 100 for best places to live.
Anyone have feedback on that. Thank you kindly...
We seriously considered Sherwood before relocating and chose not to simply because one of our kids has an IEP and the Tigard/Tualatin district is known for their model approach for SPED. So we chose to live in Tigard.
But other than that, Sherwood is an excellent place to raise a family and has great schools overall.
Lake Oswego, West Linn and Wilsonville also have great schools though didn't work for us....Tigard/Tualatin is also a very good district, just doesn't have as high test scores. Good luck! You really can't go wrong with any of those areas IMO!!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Bridlemile

Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times
Forest Park

Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM

24 posts, read 82,315 times
Riverdale is by far the best school district Portland has to offer. Lake Oswego also has a good reputation although I found the classes to be either too crowded or combined grades which doesn't work for my own taste. Riverdale has been a wonderful place, the downside is that you have to pay tuition if you live outside of the district. Living in the district is dificult unless you have plenty of money you don't mind throwing away on an overpriced home.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM

143 posts, read 810,023 times
I live in Sherwood What would you like to know?

The schools are excellent. We have lived all over the country (compliments of the military) and when retirement came, we knew we wanted to stay in the PNW as it was home for us. Sherwood was the perfect fit for our family. I call it Mayberry (as in the old Andy Griffith Show) and that pretty much sums it up, lol!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 PM

23 posts, read 157,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Chick View Post
Riverdale is by far the best school district Portland has to offer. Lake Oswego also has a good reputation although I found the classes to be either too crowded or combined grades which doesn't work for my own taste. Riverdale has been a wonderful place, the downside is that you have to pay tuition if you live outside of the district. Living in the district is dificult unless you have plenty of money you don't mind throwing away on an overpriced home.
I graduated from Riverdale. It went beyond being just a great education, it forced every student to look beyond our privilaged lives and develop an understanding of other ways of life. In high school I took a class called "exploring diversity". Riverdale beats every other public school, easily.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 PM

73 posts, read 473,872 times
Default Best schools in Portland area

My husband and I are considering moving to the Portland area with our three kids. We are currently in "the best" school district in the Bay Area and have been disappointed. Our first grader needs a challenge and the best schools around here only care about test scores.

Can anyone recommend a good school district that thinks outside the box?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 19,904 times
Default Schools - Special Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
We seriously considered Sherwood before relocating and chose not to simply because one of our kids has an IEP and the Tigard/Tualatin district is known for their model approach for SPED. So we chose to live in Tigard.
But other than that, Sherwood is an excellent place to raise a family and has great schools overall.
Lake Oswego, West Linn and Wilsonville also have great schools though didn't work for us....Tigard/Tualatin is also a very good district, just doesn't have as high test scores. Good luck! You really can't go wrong with any of those areas IMO!!
Hi, we're moving to Portland next year and also have kids with special needs. Both our boys (ages 3 and 7) are on the autism spectrum, but high functioning. I've been trying to research the best schools for them and seem to be finding that Tigard/Tualatin, West Linn/Wilsonville and Evergreen or Camas (WA) School Districts have the best reputations for special educ. I'm interested to see if you agree and what made you decide on TTSD over West Linn/Wilsonville. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 29,946 times
I found that if you have a child that does fit "in the box" that Tigard-Tualatin did not fit the bill. With that said, Tigard-Tualatin does indeed have an excellent special ed program. But if your child is somewhere in between, then consider somewhere else to live. Sherwood has great schools with tons of parental involvment. The schools are crowed, but the community is committed. Tigard-Tualatin has a lot of "latch-key" families and minimal community involvment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland