U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM

92 posts, read 349,033 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations for specific neighborhoods in either Tualatin or Sherwood? Are there any "bad" neighborhoods or areas to steer clear of in either 'burb?

We will be renting. Middle class-ish (whatever that is these days) income, don't want a huge house; 2 boys (5 & 8), 18 y.o. daughter who needs to commute to PCC. Husband works in Tualatin, I got a job in Tigard.

Also, if anyone has any contacts with property management companies or know of anyone leasing out a house in Tualatin, Sherwood or SE Portland, please let me know!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM

638 posts, read 1,124,992 times
People who have been here longer than I have can correct me, but I don't think Tualatin or Sherwood has any "bad" neighborhoods. South Tualatin seems more upscale than North Tualatin, but all of it seems nice and safe to me. We bought in Tigard (North Bull Mtn) but shopped quite a bit in Sherwood & Tualatin.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM

159 posts, read 322,210 times
I've lived in this area for a long time and I can tell you there's no "bad" neighborhoods in either Tualatin or Sherwood. I'm curious, though. Why haven't you considered Tigard?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,359,832 times
I agree with doggiemama. There are really nice neighborhoods, nice neighborhoods, and OK neighborhoods in both Tualatin and Sherwood, but nothing that I would call "bad." You'll be able to discern which neighborhoods are just OK because they look just OK.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Hotpads and padmapper show some affordable rent homes right now in all those areas.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm not ruling out Tigard, just haven't explored it yet. When my husband was going to job interviews in Tualatin and Sherwood, I randomly drove around and thought it was a pretty area.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm not ruling out Tigard, just haven't explored it yet. When my husband was going to job interviews in Tualatin and Sherwood, I randomly drove around and thought it was a pretty area.
Tigard is bigger than the other two cities and has some great things for kids, but any one of the three would be a good place to live.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy Weaselpants View Post
Tigard is bigger than the other two cities and has some great things for kids, but any one of the three would be a good place to live.
What kind of great things for kids?

Are most of the houses in Tigard/Tualatin/Sherwood newer builds/styles? I love craftsman style homes, which is why I wanted to stay in SE Portland but the practicalities of the 'burbs overshadow my architecture wants...darn kids.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM

You can find newer "Craftsman style" homes in Tigard/Tualatin/Sherwood. There are some that are very cute. Tigard also has an older area called Greenburg with some neat historic homes.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
What kind of great things for kids?
Terrific sports programs plus a skateboard park and a large children's section at their library. Oh yeah - and a public swimming pool.

As to the "Greenburg" section having some classic craftsman style homes, that's correct. I used to live in that area (in a newer house) until we downsized into a townhome after all our kids were grown and out of the house. The "Greenburg" section is in a great location - it's "close to" but not "right on" hwy 217, highway 99W, Washington Square and downtown Tigard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland