Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times

Advertisements

Dunkin' Donuts... Krispy Kreme... Five Guys... In and Out... come to my house, I'll make you a (1/4lb) burger that will make you do the happy dance and it won't cost you anything. RSVP s'il vous plait. I don't do donuts but corn muffins are not out of the question. Underemployed means no, I mean NO fast food of any kind. I am saving thousands a year. And eating better than ever in life. I may not go back to convenience food even if I do land my dream IT job. FWIW.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,449 times
Party at Leisesturm's place!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM

334 posts, read 486,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Two things. One, Five Guys is extremely overrated and frankly, doesn't hold the same mythical appeal as In n out. Also, the two chains co-exist in Phoenix with little problem (I imagine it'd be much the same in PDX).
agree, I personally would rather in-n-out over Five Guys-at least here in PDX.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
agree, I personally would rather in-n-out over Five Guys-at least here in PDX.
They can both stay away. We have better options

Survey 2011: Best Hamburger in Portland | An Exploration of Portland Oregon Food and Drink *

I'm a huge fan of Little Big Burger, little big burger (expanding to California!) and their Truffle fries.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,033 times
What we really need out here are Smoothie Kings. God I miss those. They were everywhere back east...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, 'cause there's nothing Portland likes better than a corporate chain.
And it's the corporate chains (like Whole Foods) that have pushed out the little businesses in droves in Portland It's what puts Portland on the road to being just one more typical ho-hum city.

Funny how some people move here supposedly claiming it is the uniqueness and individuality they want from Portland but when they get here it's all about what they want to bring from where they came.

But I suppose that's the trend today.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Two things. One, Five Guys is extremely overrated and frankly, doesn't hold the same mythical appeal as In n out. Also, the two chains co-exist in Phoenix with little problem (I imagine it'd be much the same in PDX).
I agree with you on the first point, but the second point completely ignores the overall burger landscape in PDX, particularly our local favorite, Burgerville (I also forgot to mention Sonic which recently grew here around the same time as Five Guys). And remember, we love our food carts in PDX!

But, let's be honest with ourselves here. The main reason In-n-out isn't up here is because they don't want to be up here. They are family owned and so far have preferred to stay regional in the Southwest. I'm sure they would do well if they came up here but it would be at the expense of someone else.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Funny how some people move here supposedly claiming it is the uniqueness and individuality they want from Portland but when they get here it's all about what they want to bring from where they came.

But I suppose that's the trend today.
*raises hands, waves wildly, paints sign that reads "BUCKING THAT TREND"*

I like it here because I like it here, that's why I came!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
Wait until the current city government changes and we get rid of the remnants of the Goldschmidt & Katz years...
I betting voters will vote in a slightly more conservative "business friendly" bunch of people than we have now.
Then the chains will flock to Portland to service everyone else who flocked here looking for ?
The population of Portland is becoming less liberal and moving to the middle.
I know several transplants that are flabbergasted with the way things are done here.

Portland is beginning to lose it's uniqueness, and the personality it had in the '80s and '90's that made Portland special is long forgotten.
It's becoming just another generic city populated by generic transplants from everywhere but Oregon.

We've had major "liberal" influx from California and the east coast. If the more conservative southerners, southwesterners, and Texans "discover" Portland and start moving here en masse, things will definately change.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-29-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

334 posts, read 486,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Wait until the current city government changes and we get rid of the remnants of the Goldschmidt & Katz years...
I betting voters will vote in a slightly more conservative "business friendly" bunch of people than we have now.
Then the chains will flock to Portland to service everyone else who flocked here looking for ?
The population of Portland is becoming less liberal and moving to the middle.
I know several transplants that are flabbergasted with the way things are done here.

Portland is beginning to lose it's uniqueness, and the personality it had in the '80s and '90's that made Portland special is long forgotten.
It's becoming just another generic city populated by generic transplants from everywhere but Oregon.

We've had major "liberal" influx from California and the east coast. If the more conservative southerners, southwesterners, and Texans "discover" Portland and start moving here en masse, things will definately change.
That sounds great....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland