Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM

99 posts, read 277,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by union410 View Post
Be careful because police are cracking down on talking on a cell phone without a headset. And we have traffic cameras that will catch you running red lights.
Yes, be careful when you see a yellow light. The yellow lights can be rather short, and law enforcement tends to target the intersections with shorter lights since more people end up running those lights.

As union said, watch out for red light cameras and photo radar tickets. The speed limits are slower here than what many out-of-towners are used to, and speed limits are strictly enforced. You can refer to previous threads for more detailed discussion. Tickets are expensive here - common traffic violations will cost you over $280. Here is a page dedicated to the Beaverton Photo Radar Van.

"In 2006, the city issued 6,820 photo-radar citations, with a conviction rate of 74 percent. The city collected $886,500 in total revenue from photo radar. After paying the vendor, state and county assessments and programs costs, including officers' salaries, the city collected profit of $83,330. In addition, the city issued 2,938 citations for photo red-light violations" (Source: OregonLive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscribble View Post
Yes, be careful when you see a yellow light. The yellow lights can be rather short, and law enforcement tends to target the intersections with shorter lights since more people end up running those lights.

As union said, watch out for red light cameras and photo radar tickets. The speed limits are slower here than what many out-of-towners are used to, and speed limits are strictly enforced. You can refer to previous threads for more detailed discussion. Tickets are expensive here - common traffic violations will cost you over $280. Here is a page dedicated to the Beaverton Photo Radar Van.

"In 2006, the city issued 6,820 photo-radar citations, with a conviction rate of 74 percent. The city collected $886,500 in total revenue from photo radar. After paying the vendor, state and county assessments and programs costs, including officers' salaries, the city collected profit of $83,330. In addition, the city issued 2,938 citations for photo red-light violations" (Source: OregonLive).
Since then revenue on the vans has dropped significantly to the point that they no longer pay for themselves. (according to Beaverton's Mayor) So in a sense they've done what they were supposed to do, make people aware of the speed limits in certain areas.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
Default Driving in Portland

Portland is challenging to drive in for all the reasons listed in this thread, plus another: In most parts of the city, cars are allowed to park "rightup" to the corners of the intersections, obscuring vision for cars/bikes wanting to proceed & for pedestrians looking for a clear time to cross. The hazard is particularly great when the vehicle at the corner is a van or a pick-up. I know of no other city in the country where this is allowed, but, well, Portland makes its own rules.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanguerapdx View Post
Portland is challenging to drive in for all the reasons listed in this thread, plus another: In most parts of the city, cars are allowed to park "rightup" to the corners of the intersections, obscuring vision for cars/bikes wanting to proceed & for pedestrians looking for a clear time to cross. The hazard is particularly great when the vehicle at the corner is a van or a pick-up. I know of no other city in the country where this is allowed, but, well, Portland makes its own rules.
This has always been a pet peeve of mine as a pedestrian. In other cities cars get ticketed for parking this way.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 AM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscribble View Post
That reminds me, i got one of those in the mail from the city of Newberg, kinda hard to fight if they have you on camera.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This has always been a pet peeve of mine as a pedestrian. In other cities cars get ticketed for parking this way.
It's a peeve of mine as a pedestrian, as a cyclist, and as a motorist! It'd be nice to have that visibility at corners...

Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM

33 posts, read 80,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
1. If you see a pedestrian or bicyclist waiting to cross the street, slam on your brakes and wave them across paying no heed to what's going on behind you, and ignoring what's coming down the road from the other direction.

2. Proper behaviour at a 4-way stop is to stop and wave everybody else through first; right of way has no meaning here.

3. The Left Lane on most multi-lane Oregon Highways is reserved for casual cruising five miles under the speed limit.

Pretty much. But seriously, be conscious of cyclists and pedestrians in a major way.

Let people in when they're trying to change lanes, and don't honk. They'll do the same for you.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanguerapdx View Post
It's actually not allowed, it's just not enforced consistently especially in low income and low-bike/pedestrian areas.

To makes things confusing, "small" cars are allowed to park there, but the law states that the vehicle can't block visibility. So there is a bit of leeway in interpretation too.

But, what you can do is call the Portland Police non-emergency line and make a complaint about the improperly parked vehicle that is blocking visibility. About 50% of the time they'll get a ticket (if an officer is in the area.) If the vehicle is the cause of an accident, they'll also get a ticket.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post

Let people in when they're trying to change lanes, and don't honk. They'll do the same for you.

I would do this more often (and not honk) if people would just use their darn turn signal once in a while!!!!!

It's like they don't teach drivers in OR that the person in the lane not ending has the right of way and it is up to the person in the lane ending to find a safe position to merge. It's not the responsibility of the other lane to always let the other person in. And if you're coming at least use your turn signal!

I agree that parking at the corners bothers me as well.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:16 PM

33 posts, read 80,078 times
Another thing, which has probably been mentioned above but if so, I missed it in my skimming: a lot of residential intersections don't have stop signs. It's maddening. Near my house there's a 5-way intersection, two of which are coming around corners so you can't see the cars approaching, and NO ONE has a stop sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
It's like they don't teach drivers in OR that the person in the lane not ending has the right of way and it is up to the person in the lane ending to find a safe position to merge.
That is true. A lot of times I can't get over to let them in, and I expect them to just wait and get behind me, but a lot of times they're totally oblivious. It's not like they're really cutting me off to get out of the ending lane, they're just sort of drifting in like I'm not there. It's terrifying sometimes because you more or less assume that if you're in the lane you can just go about your business and the people merging in should be careful, but it doesn't really work like that around here sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland