U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,621,834 times

Advertisements

This weeks' Willamette Week has an article about the rising gang violence in Portland. The story is based off a document distributed by the Portland Police.

Inside The Gang Wars

"Here’s what the data show:

Black gangs are to blame for two-thirds of the attacks. Police link Crips, Bloods and other black gangs to 34 of the 50 incidents—including two stabbings and one beating. The Crips/Bloods violence has left 27 people shot, including the seven dead.

Cops say only six incidents involved Latino gangs, including two stabbings and two people hit with bullets. The white supremacist gang the Brood was behind two shootings, cops say. Police did not list gang affiliations for eight of the incidents, but many of those took place in territory traditionally associated with black gang activity."

Over all a fairly interesting article. Please not trying to start anything here, but rather a discussion about what Portland (and ourselves,) can do about this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM

25 posts, read 29,394 times
I moved my family to Tigard to avoid the gang crap. I grew up in a poor neighborhood and had to shake gang violence during my whole youth. I vowed that if I could afford it, my family will not be around gangs at all. I can leave my garage open all night without anything happening. Well, a cat may **** on my lawnmower.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,506,025 times
I thought I saw a street biker gang once of some tough looking dudes, but it was just the Portland Dykes on Bikes.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM

758 posts, read 2,239,974 times
It comes in waves. This has been a worse-than-average year; I'm sure the economy has some to do with it. Portland perennially forms a gang task force, which usually tamps it down for a while.

The good news is that there are many fine citizens of NE and SE (where most of the conflict occurs) who will both demand action and suggest solutions.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,316 times
Can anyone tell me about these jacko*** that call them selfs brood ( brood gang) my dad had done all together probably 6 years in prison mostly at OSP and we do not talk but anyway he got out and he is in the brood whatever it is and has it tattooed on his neck and knuckles I know it's a bunch of whites I think it is so dumb but not sure really what it is oh and he is a Huge tweaker so I don't know if that helps

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM

12 posts, read 27,388 times
I laugh at these gang related crime. I lived in Boston for 28 years. The fact I live so close to crime that I hear emergency siren every damn night, I felt it's like living in a peaceful area in NE Portland.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 PM

892 posts, read 1,475,832 times
Good thing about the weather is that the gang activity takes a nose dive right about now.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM

2,435 posts, read 3,183,333 times
Like many Californian visitors, I feel that In spite of any shortcomings, I have great admiration for this beautiful city. So I am disappointed to hear of this since I always thought this was a phenomena exclusive to Southern California. But I guess society has changed drastically while I wasn't looking. Let this not reflect in any way, on the integrity of my favorite city.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Like many Californian visitors, I feel that In spite of any shortcomings, I have great admiration for this beautiful city. So I am disappointed to hear of this since I always thought this was a phenomena exclusive to Southern California. But I guess society has changed drastically while I wasn't looking. Let this not reflect in any way, on the integrity of my favorite city.
Portland, like other cities, has always had it's share of gangs. At one time in my trendy neighborhood along Hawthorne Blvd, it was a very different neighborhood. It was a Skinhead enclave.

There was always some kind of gang presence. It was back in the 80's I think we began getting an influx of the Crips and the Bloods from LA. And there were gang wars or so we were told by the news media.

Southern California certainly does not have a monoply on gang activity. It is everywhere to one degree or another. But it isn't a major worry in Portland.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM

81 posts, read 180,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Over all a fairly interesting article. Please not trying to start anything here, but rather a discussion about what Portland (and ourselves,) can do about this.
Actively? Requires government officials making the right decisions (I guess wishful thinking unless everyone petition for specific actions), more presence of law enforcement (in uniform and undercover) in gang infested areas, community involvement (reporting all illegal activities). That's gonna be tough. The folks living in gang infested area are sometimes too scared to report or getting involved. The presence of law enforcement will incur additional more spending on a strained budget. Then there's the government officials...

There's also another option but would require cooperation of other metropolitans by making use of RICO. So the gang problem would not only be reduced here but in other metros too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: