Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM

56 posts, read 127,533 times

Advertisements

...according to this:

Travel taxes: The worst US cities for travel taxes | The Economist

Good thing? Bad thing?

Frankly I expected to see Seattle on this list, not Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I don't think it is a significant factor one way or the other. The daily rates upon which the travel tax is assessed are less than other communities on the list. The 'low' cities all have significant sales tax to they are picking the pockets of travelers too. Rental car taxes out of PDX are typical, and frankly avoidable if the traveler takes the MAX to Beaverton or Hillsboro (Washington County) and rents a car there.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
People have pointed out that the key word is "discriminatory". This means the difference between things like the hotel rate and the general sales tax.

Since Oregon has no sales tax, any hotel tax is going to register as extremely discriminatory. San Diego's hotel tax rate is 10.5% and Portland's is 11.5%. But since California has a large sales tax, their room tax is seen as much fairer.

Of course, any difference will be more than negated with one decent meal in each town per day.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 07-26-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times
Here is the link to the actual GBTA article:

GBTA Reveals Best and Worst Travel Taxes in Top 50 U.S. Destinations

Since the article also states that Portland has one of the LOWEST total travel tax burdens when factoring in sales taxes, I think the title of this thread is highly misleading.

That being said, I would love to see how the GBTA made this conclusion regarding hotel tax rates (but not so much that I want to pay for their report). One of the projects we did when I volunteered for the group that was trying to bring MLB to PDX was to look at alternative funding sources to help pay for the cost of a new stadium. Hotel and rental car taxes would have been near the top the list for the following reasons:

1. Portland had fairly low hotel and rental car taxes compared to most of the other similar-sized or larger cities in the US;
2. Travel taxes tend to be fairly inelastic in smaller increments, meaning they don't negatively impact demand for the item being taxed; and
3. The tax is politically easier to sell because it affects visitors, not the locals who vote on it.

However, this funding source was not available because the state legislature passed a law years ago saying that the rates could not be raised unless those funds were tapped specifically to promote tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland