Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
not every city, but every major city
when people say new york, la, chicago, dc, dallas, etc everyone knows which one they are talking about
So what are we changing Portland Maine too? After all Portland Oregon is four times it's size so we pretty much know which one is the major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:
not every city, but every major city
when people say new york, la, chicago, dc, dallas, etc everyone knows which one they are talking about
And who decides when it becomes a major city, and is subject to your arbitrary rule. And who decides which city needs to change it's name. Is this something you're going to legislate on a national level? Create a new Office of Official Major City Names.

Maybe you should turn your focus next to street names. I find it awful confusing when someone tells me a shop is on Main Street. God only knows what city I might end up in, looking for the shop.

Or how about personal names. I mean, are there too many people named John or what. How am I to know which one I'm talking to? Better make them all come up with unique names, too.

And how about store names. I know I see all these places called Starbucks and McDonalds. Surely they should all need to come up with unique names. How is a person to know the difference?

And by the way ... the city is called Washington. Not DC. Want to tell me that's not confusing? Maybe they need to change their name. Surely a state trumps a city in being "major." As for Dallas ... here in Oregon, no, people don't assume you're talking about the major city in Texas. They'd assume you're talking about the minor city in Oregon.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:52 AM

414 posts, read 537,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
So what are we changing Portland Maine too? After all Portland Oregon is four times it's size so we pretty much know which one is the major city.
i wouldnt change portland maine because they are the original one and actually sit on ocean unlike portland oregon, which isnt a major port either so the name doesnt really fit to begin with
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
And who decides when it becomes a major city, and is subject to your arbitrary rule. And who decides which city needs to change it's name. Is this something you're going to legislate on a national level? Create a new Office of Official Major City Names.

Maybe you should turn your focus next to street names. I find it awful confusing when someone tells me a shop is on Main Street. God only knows what city I might end up in, looking for the shop.

Or how about personal names. I mean, are there too many people named John or what. How am I to know which one I'm talking to? Better make them all come up with unique names, too.

And how about store names. I know I see all these places called Starbucks and McDonalds. Surely they should all need to come up with unique names. How is a person to know the difference?

And by the way ... the city is called Washington. Not DC. Want to tell me that's not confusing? Maybe they need to change their name. Surely a state trumps a city in being "major." As for Dallas ... here in Oregon, no, people don't assume you're talking about the major city in Texas. They'd assume you're talking about the minor city in Oregon.
its all irrelevant, u too sensitive and defensive
returning to the thread topic, if it was named boston, oregon, which sounds ridiculous, would u still try to justify it? lol seems like u wud

Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
i wouldnt change portland maine because they are the original one and actually sit on ocean unlike portland oregon, which isnt a major port either so the name doesnt really fit to begin with
Port of Portland Oregon Imports and Exports $15.4 billion annually.

Portland Maine Imports $1.5 Billion, and exports $35 million a year.

That's a... ten fold increase in value?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Port of Portland Oregon Imports and Exports $15.4 billion annually.

Portland Maine Imports $1.5 Billion, and exports $35 million a year.

That's a... ten fold increase in value?
It doesnt matter, they were the original one so u cant expect them to rename, and im sayin comparin to major ports portland oregon is not a major port, seattle is much bigger

Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:

its all irrelevant, u too sensitive and defensive
returning to the thread topic, if it was named boston, oregon, which sounds ridiculous, would u still try to justify it? lol seems like u wud
Me too sensitive? wat 2 b senstv bout? it nam of city deal wit it.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It doesnt matter, they were the original one so u cant expect them to rename, and im sayin comparin to major ports portland oregon is not a major port, seattle is much bigger
Why should Portland Oregon be renamed when Portland Maine isn't even the original name? It was originally called Falmouth, named after the site of a victory in the English Civil War. Then you can go argue with Falmouth, Massachusetts that the Maine one should have the name because it was not only first, itis actually the bigger city to boot!

Portland OR has always been called Portland since it was incorporated as a City though. Yes, it had a few nicknames before and after that, but every city has a nickname of some sort. Even Portland Maine has the Nickname of "Portland of the East"

Yes, Seattle (#26), Long Beach (#5), and Los Angeles (#9), are all bigger then Portland. But a lot of people disagree with you that Portland is not a major port. Portland Oregon is the 28th largest Port in the US. Portland Maine is #37. Portland Oregon is even bigger then San Francisco (#138!), Oakland (#35), Tacoma (#30), and San Diego (#124) all of which I would have sworn are bigger then Portland before I looked them up.

Deal with Ford makes Port of Portland an auto exporter - Portland Business Journal
"The Port of Portland has for years been the West Coast’s biggest importer of Asia-made autos."

Port of Portland is a major import-export center | Daily Journal of Commerce
"Portland is an international transportation hub thanks largely to the Port of Portland. From wheat and minerals heading to seaports around the world, to computer chips, Oregon cherries and live animals moving by air, Portland is a major export center."

Portland Oregon is 966th largest port in the World.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Why should Portland Oregon be renamed when Portland Maine isn't even the original name? It was originally called Falmouth, named after the site of a victory in the English Civil War. Then you can go argue with Falmouth, Massachusetts that the Maine one should have the name because it was not only first, itis actually the bigger city to boot!

Portland OR has always been called Portland since it was incorporated as a City though. Yes, it had a few nicknames before and after that, but every city has a nickname of some sort. Even Portland Maine has the Nickname of "Portland of the East"

Yes, Seattle (#26), Long Beach (#5), and Los Angeles (#9), are all bigger then Portland. But a lot of people disagree with you that Portland is not a major port. Portland Oregon is the 28th largest Port in the US. Portland Maine is #37. Portland Oregon is even bigger then San Francisco (#138!), Oakland (#35), Tacoma (#30), and San Diego (#124) all of which I would have sworn are bigger then Portland before I looked them up.

Deal with Ford makes Port of Portland an auto exporter - Portland Business Journal
"The Port of Portland has for years been the West Coast’s biggest importer of Asia-made autos."

Port of Portland is a major import-export center | Daily Journal of Commerce
"Portland is an international transportation hub thanks largely to the Port of Portland. From wheat and minerals heading to seaports around the world, to computer chips, Oregon cherries and live animals moving by air, Portland is a major export center."

Portland Oregon is 966th largest port in the World.
im sayin that portland maine took that name first so it was the original portland, massachusets is offtopic
and its not even top 10, 28th port in the US and 966th in the world does not make it a major port, at least not enough to name the city after it, by that logic 27 cities ahead of portland might as well be named portland
the name shoulda been more unique, all im sayin, like portland is a city of roses so roseland would be a good name instead for example

Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,200 times
puffland, because alot of people smoke weed here

Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
puffland, because alot of people smoke weed here
tru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland