Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

One of the recurrent themes on this board and general Oregon debate has to do with this state's attitude toward "growth" - population and economic, mainly.

It's interesting to chart out the long-term population growth curves for Oregon and Washington:

After the turn of the last century, Washington's growth rate overtook that of Oregon, and the divergence has continued since then.

Portland was a prominent "freeway revolt" site back in the 1960's, unlike other western cities (aside from Vancouver in BC). The state's reputation in previous decades wasn't so much "anti-growth" as "insular," and many migrants gave it a pass in favor of other west-coast destinations.

How do current Oregon residents feel about this, though? Is there a certain value in being insular, even though it may be accompanied by slower growth and job creation than the state/city may be capable of?

As an exercise, here are the rough outlines of three other metro areas overlaid on top of Portland. The maps are courtesy of Google Maps.

Los Angeles:

Seattle:

Phoenix:

It's something to ponder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
You can easily see where the jumps Population correlated to historic moments, the Alaskan Gold Rush, The Lewis and Clark Exposition, the WWI and WWII bumps in population.

Part of the problem is the Oregon got bypassed by economy in favor of Seattle due to the move from Wind and Steam power, to Gas powered ships. It also didn't help that two transcontinental lines hit Seattle within five years of the first one hitting Portland. The mountains in Northern California/Southern Oregon were easier to bypass with larger gauge trains.

The other problem is that Oregon's economy centers towards Timber too much, which keeps getting hit with various issues over the years.

Personally, I prefer the less populated state. It's nice to be able to drive an hour or two from town and be able to get away from everybody.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
This is really illuminating. I think both geography and land use laws are instrumental in the size of these three other metropolitan areas. Seemingly most of the easily-buildable flat land that is relatively close to the core has been built out. Contrast that with Portland--particularly south of Wilsonville where there is still a lot of flat land, but we obviously have valued maintaining high quality agricultural land over suburban sprawl.

There are a lot of folks who deride Oregon's choice to preserve agricultural lands, because this choice has resulted in higher property costs and smaller lots. But I think the real beneficiaries of these difficult choices that we have made over the past few decades will be our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I've always thought Astoria/Warrenton would have made more sense than Portland as a bigger metro area because of the easy port access.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

198 posts, read 400,194 times
Yes, I agree, smaller was the winner. Interesting to see the significance in patterns of development from a historical perspective.

Yes, what are we going for here?

As a native Oregonian, I am hard pressed to see the value in the "growth". Come on. Successful companies understand the perils of rapid growth.

Who actually profits? The growth I have seen where I live has lead to companies who are based outside of Oregon. The profits leave. So what's in it for me? Nothing but more crowded roads. The thought that ports may have been larger could have lead to a Vancouver situation. Foreign investment driving our housing markets crazy.

What I like seriously is seeing people ride bikes all around. They are teaching us the value of enjoying life and being healthy. Anyone who wants to move here, move into/remodel an existing structure...not build new....are welcome here in my way of looking at the world. Come on down. Just don’t put stress further stress on the roadways. I drive, so I am a hypocrite, but I don’t honk at least.

Start a business to employ the all of the young people who have moved here and want a job...all the better. Don't increase the driving load. Keep the benefits here. Let them pay taxes if they are doing business here.

[SIZE=3]The other group, wanting to increase the 1-5 corridor…I wished they’d go home. Along with the one’s who honk from their cars. I would rather they go too, or stop honking. [/SIZE]

Last edited by Mclaurin; 08-01-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland