Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytonks View Post
I agree with others that the 30 min commute time may not work for all that you are looking for. You may be able to break some sort of happy medium by living in St Johns and commuting using Germantown road instead of Hwy 26. It's a turning and twisting drive though so you may have to take other routes some days in the winter. They have some good new restaurants, near the Willamette, trendy, not really any nightlife but its about 10 min to Downtown.

You would also probably like the area around N Mississippi and Skidmore and you may be able to find the garage you are looking for there. The food scene is terrific there and that's where the Mississippi Studio is for live music. If you've seen the show "Portlandia", then you know what that neighborhood is like.

I doubt you will find anything on the water for your price range unless you give up on your other criteria.

Ultimately, I would NOT choose to live our in Hillsboro though. It's just too far out for what you are looking for. Personally, I would also suggest living east of the Hwy 26 tunnel if you want to be "trendy". The west side is more suburban. Good Luck!
Portland, although technically a river town, is not really a place where you go for the "water"--the place to go for water would be Seattle. At any rate, if you want to look at water you're probably going to be out of luck. Anywhere within 30 minutes of Hillsboro is not really going to have a view of the water, whether that is Oswego Lake or the Willamette River.

Now, although most of the trendy spots are also going to be 30 minutes+ from Hillsboro since they are mostly on the East Side, there are a few nice West Side suburban areas that, if plunked down in the middle of Dayton, would probably be the trendiest neighborhood in all of Ohio (and yes, I've been to some "trendy" places in Ohio). I would look around Cedar Mill, Sylvan, Cedar Hills, and perhaps West Slope and Raleigh Hills. That would probably put you at about a 30 minute commute and be a good deal trendier than Hillsboro. There are some good restaurants in that area too, surprisingly, and outside of rush hours it is just a hop, skip, and a jump to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandchrissymowery View Post
I ran across some condos in Hillsboro called Travertine? The price is really good and less than 2 miles from work, but it sounds like Hillsboro isn't a really good option to consider.

So I can't give up the garage but can compromise on the commute time; if you had a only a few days to check out the area and try to pick water and/or trendy areas to live for a year or so and get used to the area where would you suggest? I have read a lot about West Linn, Goose Hollow, Lake Oswego, Laurelhurst and Sherwood.....

If I have some flexibility on my budget where would be the top 3 areas to look at and keep my garage????

You guys are extremely helpful, I hope everyone is as friendly. We are so excited about this move.....
If you wanted to extend your commute a little bit you could probably look into Hillsdale and Multnomah Village. That would put you a little closer to the river (not that you'd see it everyday anyway) and it is a trendier area with easy access to other parts of Portland. Stay close to Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway/TV Highway if you do, for commuting purposes.

As for West Linn, Goose Hollow, Lake Oswego, Laurelhurst and Sherwood... West Linn is like Hillsboro, but more upscale, homogenous, and conservative. In Goose Hollow you probably won't find a garage. Laurelhurst--no garage in your price range most likely, and it's also on the wrong side of the river for a commute (trust me--commuting to Hillsboro from the East Side is horrible). Sherwood is basically just a small, suburban town. It's nice, but not that interesting. Lake Oswego is considered to be the premier suburb of the region (exluding Dunthorpe). I don't know that you could stay in your budget there close to the lake. Away from the lake there are definitely areas that could fit, but any nightlife is still going to be in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Portland is bisected by the Willamette River, bridges constrain travel. As nice as Laurelhurst and Sherwood can be I would scratch them off for a commute to Hillsboro.

The Goose Hollow (where I live) is high density, parking (when available) is in secure parking shared garages. If Goose Hollow is an option for you increase your search area to the NW district (zip code 97210 on the city side of the hill and 97209). PM me if you are looking at a specific address and although I haven't seen the apartment I can give you the scoop on the street life.

West Linn is suburban. Nuf said.

"Downtown" Lake Oswego has the vibe you may be looking for but the commute to Hillsboro might be hellish.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 24,938 times
Default Thanks Nell

I appreciate all of the advice!!

I am leaning towards the Hillsboro condo for the commute and price.....I will say this in case it makes a difference on commute....I am an early riser so I would likely be commuting by 5:30am at the latest if this makes a difference on drive times from some of the more desirable areas.....

Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM

At 5:30 am traffic is light, MAX service infrequent.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandchrissymowery View Post
I appreciate all of the advice!!

I am leaning towards the Hillsboro condo for the commute and price.....I will say this in case it makes a difference on commute....I am an early riser so I would likely be commuting by 5:30am at the latest if this makes a difference on drive times from some of the more desirable areas.....
I think you can get just about anyplace in town within 1/2 an hour at 5:30am. At that time of the morning even Gresham to Hillsboro, which is about 35 miles, would probably only take 45 minutes driving time (barring any traffic accidents or road construction delays).

Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 24,938 times
Default Does this change any of the recommendations?

Does the 5:30am commute to Hillsboro change anyone's opinion on areas to look at for housing?

I still think I am leaning towards the 1.9 mile commute to work but am a little nervous we won't like Hillsboro living based on everyone's feedback.....

Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Recently I drove west on the Sunset Hgy (26) to the Costco near NIKE at about 1:30 in the afternoon. I was stunned at the slow traffic going the other direction between the tunnel and Skyline. Much of this is likely the result of the intersection just east of the tunnel as traffic sorts itself out. I came back home using W. Burnside.

The traffic west bound at 5:30 am should zip along. In the afternoon heading into the city I would choose either Burnside or Cornell Road for Goose Hollow, NW District or the Pearl.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM

218 posts, read 376,808 times
I have the same questions you do about time of traffic. Right now I leave my house at 5:45 am get on the freeway by 6 pm and to work by 6:35ish and its a 30 min drive. We take the carpool lane (hubby and I work together) so we don't hit the bad traffic as say the 7 am 8 am and 9 am drivers do. When is the most traffic happening? Would you say between 7 and 9 am? And the way home 5-6 pm?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM

You must be driving I-5 north from Portland (carpool lanes). North bound traffic from the city center seems bad to me from 3:30 pm to about 6:30 pm.

Can you imagine what traffic will be like when employment improves? I am so glad I retired!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You must be driving I-5 north from Portland (carpool lanes). North bound traffic from the city center seems bad to me from 3:30 pm to about 6:30 pm.

Can you imagine what traffic will be like when employment improves? I am so glad I retired!
Or when they build the new Columbia River Crossing and "everyone" moves across the river to Vancouver as predicted? That is, after they all pay their $10 toll to cross the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland