Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 15,457 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've posted a couple threads before about my upcoming move to the Portland area, I have learned some helpful information.

Now it's down to the wire. There really are no requirements as far as what I need in a house, meaning what's in the house itself or what kind of things are in the area, none of that really matters - but I would like it to be somewhat private (not in a neighborhood -- ranch-style, or country house, or something along those lines).

Me and the 3 others I'm moving with have saved enough money to last us a year in the Portland area, and come the first week of September we'll be getting in the moving truck and heading out, regardless. Call me crazy, but that's just what we're doing. That being said I am not as careless as I sound, I really am trying to have something secure before then.

So...3 weeks...within 10-15 miles of Portland...

1. What resources aside from Craigslist can I use to find availability without physically being there to scout it out?

2. If I can get an exhaustive list of all towns/communities/habitable areas within the aforesaid radius of the city, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
I don't understand this sentence: "but I would like it to be somewhat private (not in a neighborhood -- ranch-style, or country house, or something along those lines).". I am wondering what would be so terrible about planning to stay in an extended stay motel for a couple or more weeks till you line something up? I also cannot determine if you want to rent or buy. If you were local there would be newstand publications you could access to bolster your Craigslist search. Online... I can't think of any. Certainly nothing free. Craigslist has worked for me so many times in so many ways that I think I can state with some surety that anyone who claims it doesn't work is doing it wrong. Or has a vested interest in a paywalled competitor. Or is terminally picky.

H

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't understand this sentence: "but I would like it to be somewhat private (not in a neighborhood -- ranch-style, or country house, or something along those lines).". I am wondering what would be so terrible about planning to stay in an extended stay motel for a couple or more weeks till you line something up? I also cannot determine if you want to rent or buy. If you were local there would be newstand publications you could access to bolster your Craigslist search. Online... I can't think of any. Certainly nothing free. Craigslist has worked for me so many times in so many ways that I think I can state with some surety that anyone who claims it doesn't work is doing it wrong. Or has a vested interest in a paywalled competitor. Or is terminally picky.

H
If I recall correctly, he's a musician & his friends are his bandmates, and they're looking for a reasonably private place to practice loudly at.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I remember them. I recommended Canby. Still do. I just pulled up Google Maps and looked in a circle 10 - 15 miles... .. good luck finding a 3 or 4 BD ranch with the remoteness to get loud in. Of course in some neighborhoods if you have the right amount of street cred it won't matter what you do, no one will complain about it. To your face. So, if you weren't before, guys, I suggest you become a death metal outfit and have lots of hot Goth groupies coming in and out at all hours. I might even drop by. Lots of leather and ammo and at least one of you should get a Harley and remove the mufflers.

H

When I walk these streets
A loaded six string on my back
I play for keeps
'Cause I might not make it back

I've been everywhere
(Ohh, yea)
Still I'm standin' tall
I've seen a million faces
And I've rocked them all

'Cause I'm a cowboy
On a steel horse I ride
I'm wanted
(Wanted)
Dead or alive

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Yes, it is us, the band...cool that you guys remembered...I did look into Canby, and still will, but it is a bit far from Portland for a consistent commute...

There wouldn't be anything terrible about staying a week or two anywhere while looking for a place. Do you think that actually being in the area for a couple weeks looking would do more good than months being on the opposite side of the country? In a way that'd make sense. We want to rent, by the way. If there are no other known options, I'll stick with Craigslist until we leave, maybe I'll get lucky.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateahm View Post
Do you think that actually being in the area for a couple weeks looking would do more good than months being on the opposite side of the country? In a way that'd make sense.
Whole heartedly yes.

BTW, I've asked around my musician friends and most of them have practice space in several different locations around town, none of it habitable. One has a space in his basement (old Portland style home that he inherited,) that's been heavily sound proofed. A couple of others switch to acoustic when practicing, or go with very low settings on the amps.

I've been told that there are several decent studio rental spaces around town, if you hit up any of the music shops they'll be able to point you to some.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
I said look for a house and just rent a rehearsal space, but OP didn't want to listen.

I still think that's best option, as least until you can live here a little while and figure out where they're going to find this practice house.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateahm View Post
Yes, it is us, the band...cool that you guys remembered...I did look into Canby, and still will, but it is a bit far from Portland for a consistent commute...
Commute? I thought you guy's would not have a commute... my bad.
I too believe I suggested looking into a practice space if you really need to live closer in.

H

Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the M.T.V.
That ain't working, that's the way you do it
Money for nothing and your (Goth) chicks for free
Money for nothing and chicks for free

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I said look for a house and just rent a rehearsal space, but OP didn't want to listen.

I still think that's best option, as least until you can live here a little while and figure out where they're going to find this practice house.

Well, here on the east coast 3 of 4 of us have lived together during this preparation to move, and our gear has been in a rehearsal space -- it's worked out somewhat, but I guess we really all desire the ability to play at absolutely any time, and without paying a monthly fee (our current unit is $190 a month, and after having saved for a move, we can hardly afford to pay over 2 grand a year for a storage space).

We just can't have any restrictions. I'm sure we can find a place which will allow us to play, it's starting to look as if we'll have to go the route suggested by some here, just head out and look once we get there.

If anyone has any more advice keep it coming!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Here are some resources that were just sent to me:

Work Space/Housing | Regional Arts & Culture Council

pdxstump | artist space -- Portland Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: