Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM

107 posts, read 451,764 times

Advertisements

What are some of your favorite summer/winter activities to do with your children???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
One of my favorite things to do is to go to the fish hatchery at Bonneville Dam during spawning season and watch the HUGE salmon climb the fish ladders. It's also a fun place to go any time of the year (though in the winter it's often really windy and cold) as you can hand feed the rainbow trout, look at the sturgeon and various baby fish in the hatchery. There's a park there too and picnic area (though again, only in really nice weather would you want to picnic in the gorge!) and a seasonal gift shop. It's about halfway between Multnomah Falls (so you can stop there on the way) and Hood River so it's about 40 minutes from downtown Portland. And BTW, Hood River has the old rail road station that hosts Thomas the Tank in the summer, The Polar Express in the winter and so on. They also have cool excursions and various trains there. It's kind of fun to drive 84 to the hatchery, then continue north and cut over to the Washington State side of the river via the Bridge of the Gods (an amazing view!) and come back via the Washington equivalent of 84 (can't think of the number).

As for around town...the parks are great, the fountains are great, I don't know how old your kids are but most think riding Max is incredibly exciting, there's all the kid museums, take them to see a soccer game at PGE Park, etc. My five year old likes to run around on the park blocks and go to the art museum so he can ask about every single painting and sculpture there, but that's just him. I have the kind of kid who needs to be run into the ground so I often take him on walks starting in Goose Hollow and climbing up into the west hills via all the stairways (another thing a lot of people don't know about but there are some stairways into the SW hills that remind me a lot of the San Francisco stairways and take you cool places) and end up coming down via SW Vista. That usually exhausts him pretty fast.

Also, again, I don't know how old your kids are, but if they're over 5 or so check out the jet boats in the Willamette. They're really fun. It's a tour but it's fun, they go fast, and you see a lot of the area you'd never see by car or foot.

Most of the park and rec stuff is dying down for the summer but there are some amazing classes, camps and just informal craft or water stuff that goes on in the parks during summer. Also, OMSI, The Zoo, some of the art schools, etc. all have great classes and summer camps too.

You also should take them to Peanut Butter and Ellie's restaurant which is specifically for kids, the Clackamas Water Park or to the Mt. Scott or SW Community Center pools, which are indoor and have a water slide, whirl pool, water spray, etc.

And don't forget Oaks Park, which is a seasonal historic amusement park and they also have a roller rink there.

I'm sure I could think of more but that's all I can think of now!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheiny View Post
What are some of your favorite summer/winter activities to do with your children???
Oldintype has some GREAT suggestions! Our realtor got us a book about Portland w/ Kids and it features everything that Oldintype mentioned. I can't remember the name but if you do a google search I'm sure it'd pop up.

We haven't been here long but so far my kids have LOVED the beach! We go for the day, take a picnic or eat at a local cafe and they just play in the sand and water. We've been to Oceanside and Seaside.

Also, they love doing the Gorge (waterfalls) and going downtown, especially riding MAX around fareless square.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM

74 posts, read 198,987 times
I ran across this great site online... There is a ton of resources on here!

OregonMom.com "Where to go with kids in tow!"

Old 08-25-2007, 11:53 AM

29 posts, read 130,468 times
Thank you for the info. My husband, 2 year old son, and I are moving to Portland in 4 weeks...the info helps! Thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 PM

107 posts, read 451,764 times
Default Thanks!

That is a great website. Appreciate it lots!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 25,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
The Polar Express in the winter and so on.
Anyone know how long the train ride lasts? We're going with the grandkids next Friday and wondering if we'll make it back in time to see the Duck game???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland