Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM

304 posts, read 871,495 times

Advertisements

Portland is one of the cities I have looked at moving to after I gradate college at Florida State University. I'm thinking of attending Lewis & Clark Law School.Where do you believe I could find affordable housing in the downtown area or close by. Is Portland a good city for people in their 20s? Is it possible to live there without a car? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
portland is crazy at finding parking, a bike is the way to go, ive never lived there so i dont know much

Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
It's a little hard to say - affordable is one of those things that might mean one thing to someone and different to another. And good for someone in their 20s? Again, hard to say. It depends on what your interests are. It's not party central. But yes, it's certainly possible to live without a car, depending on where you live and where you want to go. Getting from here to there will probably take longer than it would if you drove.

Lewis & Clark is in the hills, not in the downtown area. So getting there would be by bus. And if you're going to depend on the bus, I'd check the bus lines, and look for somewhere to live along one that goes directly there.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Living downtown will get you the closest to all bus stops. There are shuttles to L&C. The question is what do you believe is affordable housing?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The other question is why do you want to go to law school???? Many grads, even from Ivy schools, are having difficulty finding a position. Where you my son or daughter I would strongly recommend you set your sights on another profession. Don't get me wrong, I count several successful lawyers among my friends. There is nothing wrong with the profession but there are more than the business can support.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Parking is pretty easy to find in almost all of PDX.

UOTE=drum bro;20824855]portland is crazy at finding parking, a bike is the way to go, ive never lived there so i dont know much[/quote]

Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
theres a little less spots becaus the blocks are small the transportation isnt good at night everyone is driving the day time isnt as bad

Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM

You didn't ask about parking but since it has come up here's a thought. One problem with parking at least in the older neighborhoods is that new apartment buildings are being squeezed in wherever there is just a little bit of space. They don't usually accomodate parking and if they do, it's only for one car. Many people have more than one car and have visitors who want to park closeby.

Street parking fills up fast in the evening. People sometimes have to park blocks away from their house or apartment.

But that will depend upon the neigbborhood. Some are better than others.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 PM

125 posts, read 169,571 times
Where you should look for housing is the "Nob Hill" area, on NW 20th through NW 23rd and the attendant cross streets. The neighborhood is full of cool restaurants and shops, and it's really convenient to other areas of Portland. It's right up against the hills and so would be relatively close to Lewis & Clark.

My second choice would be the Pearl District.

Public transit in Portland is very good, and yes, you can get along without a car, as long as you don't have the urge to go out of the city--but you probably will, and should. Portland is surrounded by so many wonderful natural attractions, most of them only an hour or so away, that you'll be glad that you do have a car.

"Affordable" is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but expect one-bedroom apartments to be in the $700-900 range. It also may take quite a while to find exactly what you want. NB: Portland has "micro-neighborhoods". You can go two blocks in any direction from any given point and find that the character of the surroundings has changed drastically, for better or worse. So don't rent sight unseen.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM

If you decide to go outside the downtown or NW area, be sure and check the bus schedules and routes with Tri-Met before you rent. There are some areas within the city on major buslines that are just fine. Since all roads mostly lead to downtown you will be able to take one of those buses and transfer downtown to a Tri Met bus or the L&C shuttle.

As a long time resident of Portland who has never owned a car, I can attest to the fact that many bus routes have had cut backs in their schedules and some taken off the line altogether. Since there are very few cross town buses that go into different neighborhoods and you do not have a car, you will need to make sure there is a grocery store convient to where you live. These neighborhoods are more expensive as you get close to downtown.

As an example, I live in the Buckman area off Hawthorne Blvd which is a very desirable neighborhood. You can walk to everything and are near two major buslines that run every 15 minutes. Rents for a one bedroom apartment go for around $850-$1000.

But if I were attending L&C College, I would want to live either NW, or downtown where the buses converge or closer to the school farther out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: