Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM

39 posts, read 79,903 times

Advertisements

how bad is it really comments on yelp make it sound like sou th central l.a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
Well not quite but there has been an influx of gang activity and shootings there. Are there safer neighborhoods in Portland? Most definitely yes.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
There has been gang activity all along the I-5 urban corridor from LA to Seattle. It is not associated with that neighborhood, they do not live in that neighborhood.

here is a link to the Police crime stats: Maps & Statistics

Here it is on a map: CrimeMapper Detail Report and includes a full year's worth of data updated monthly. You can drill down on the type of crime that concerns you. IMHO assaults are the most concern so that is what I would look at. Simple assaults are typically a drunk or mentally ill person pushing & shoving with no injury, rarely with criminal intent.

The City is very open about the things they deal with.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
While the crime at Lloyd Center isn't caused by people who live there, the presence of the shopping mall encourage groups of teens to hang out. This can cause an increase in some crimes like car break-ins and rowdy behavior.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,983 times
I found this link, apparently there was a gang shooting there earlier this year.

Teen shot in Lloyd Center area dies at the hospital | Crime | Northeast Portland News

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,068 times
Yep. Therehave been a few since I moved here. I also have seen some petty theft and thug type individuals hanging around Macy's looking for a fight. Try to go earlier in the day way before 3pm. I have started going downtown and Clackamas to avoid Lloyd Center since why bother with the drama. Not worth it.

/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
I found this link, apparently there was a gang shooting there earlier this year.

Teen shot in Lloyd Center area dies at the hospital | Crime | Northeast Portland News

Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM

20 posts, read 84,098 times
Default Not a concern

I live several blocks from the Lloyd Center, skate there 4 days a week, and use the Lloyd Center MAX stop day and night. Personally I feel very safe because there are so many people around, at least until the mall closes round 10pm. There are no clubs or bars, so no drunk people. (Old Town is way more dangerous imo.) Most of the drama is teen/drug/gang related. If you are not involved in drugs, not a gang member there is little or no risk. There are some people hanging around the MAX stop and Halliday Park asking for money and they are exceedingly polite.
The two neighborhoods immediately next to the Lloyd Center, Sullivans Gulch and Irvington, are prime real estate and VERY nice places to live.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM

127 posts, read 306,757 times
I've never felt in danger at Lloyd Center, but the kids there think I'm undercover security (which I'm not) because I've no problem saying 'hello' to them. haha! Random greeting was very common when I first moved here in the 1980's coming straight outta NYC's crack years. As a paranoid teen with a pocket knife & eyes in the back of my head, Lloyd Center was a 'utopia' I never knew.

Given history for lots of locals, this is the 'hometown mall'. No tourists, hence the absence of alarm. If there's a string of violence, locals avoid it that week, wait it out till the coast is clear, then they all come back. It's pretty funny actually. Everyone seems to know the routine. All the original $erious $hoppers that Lloyd Center lost over the years go to Pioneer, Wash Square and Bridgeport. The main problem facing Lloyd right now is rampant shoplifting, not violence. Store employees are very frustrated about that every time they clock in to work.

Last edited by rainierman; 09-14-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 PM

58 posts, read 170,514 times
Thanks for the post rainierman, that explains a lot. I'm new to Portland and I work in one of the big office buildings over there so I stop in the mall from time to time. It definitely has a weird vibe. I don't think I'm ever going to get used to that ice skating rink either, haha.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM

892 posts, read 2,393,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainierman View Post
The main problem facing Lloyd right now is rampant shoplifting, not violence. Store employees are very frustrated about that every time they clock in to work.
Perhaps I just grew up in a weird part of the country, but it's always been my experience that retail shrink is a staple element of shopping mall reality no matter where you go. The only thing that varies is the balance between how many teen shoplifters there are and how many collusive teen employees there are (even among "management" or among "security" forces) in any given community. Most mall employee cultures even involve a fairly complex behind-the-scenes barter system, in all it's tax-evasive glory. Occasionally, truck drivers are even part of the action (though this has decreased in the era of commercial contracting destroying the big rig owner-operator).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: