Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,136 times

Advertisements

I have two nights off a week, and I think I'm going to have this schedule for the next couple of years. Sometimes I work on school stuff, but since I work the night shift I normally have time to do school work at my paid job.

So tonight, like many others... I did laundry, grocery shopping, cleaned the bottom floor of the house, grilled some chicken, listened to the radio for a while, blew off organizing the garage for the millionth time, and generally kept it quiet while my wife and kids are sleeping.

I'm not really into going to bars and blowing my paycheck, the Metro shuts down kinda early for me, nothing's open around Beaverton after 2AM.

There's always Yahoo Chess or something like that, but what do you other night shifters do on your nights off? 24 hour fitness and pump it up? Ride your bike around downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
I adjusted my schedules so I did everything in the morning/afternoon before going to work, then went to sleep as soon as I got off work. I also found another job that didn't make me work such awful shifts.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
I worked nights for years in Portland. When the economy was better in the 90's you could do all sorts of activities after a swing shift. I would imagine it's not as much fun now with the town rolling up the sidewalks by 12 most nights. I always did my grocery shopping weeknights at a winco or a safeway. Do a search.for 24 hr businesses. You may be surprised at what you find. Bowling and billiards usually somewhere. Powells was open late years ago I don't know what the hours are now. I recomend making the most of your weekend by prime-timing those hours to actually feel like you have a life. I can never sleep right after work. Graveyard was always a better odd shift to work for me. I am working a mid shift now. Off 8pm at the latest. Not perfect but it beats a late swing.

Good luck with that schedule. Make it work for you or move on. Not worth feeling like a troll with no life.

Squidlo

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM

159 posts, read 344,374 times
I notice that a lot (if not all) of the Subway sandwich shops are now open 24 hours. While they're not necessarily a place to dance and play pool, you can at least get a sandwich whenever you want. BTW - they'll serve hash browns at any time, not just breakfast.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
I've never worked night shift, but have always been a night person. The biggest problem I see is being in the suburbs. If you're downtown, there are more things to do, places that are open. I used to take my laptop over to a 24-hour coffee shop over on Powell and hang out in the wee hours a lot. There are several 24-hour restaurants around. Of course, the late night places have more interesting people watching to do than regular hours places. The cart pod at 11th & Hawthorne is always jumping late at night. A lot of the movie theaters' last showings start after 10, and that can take you into tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: