Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM

73 posts, read 333,645 times

Advertisements

I've been tracking these posts. Some may have seen my other posts. We just came back from the weekend in Portland. My husband is interviewing for a job in Portland (his family is in the PNW). We can no longer afford to live in Los Angeles and are looking for a better cost of living to raise a family, but I am noticing that the prices in Portland and suburbs aren't that affordable either.

Coming from sunny Southern California, I have to say, I definitely felt a bit depressed by the gloom. It was overcast and drizzly, and from what I understand, that's the normal weather. I loved the greeness of it all, but I could see how the gray would get to you after a short while.

Also, I noticed a LOT of street kids, homeless and just that grunge-counter-culture vibe that made me feel unsafe. I seemed to see more of these people out and about (I was staying near Washington and 5th), than anything else. Where are corporate offices? Where are the businesses and residential enclaves in the city? We found NW 23rd which was really sweet, but looked insanely pricey. We ventured over toward Sunnyside? Sunnyslope? Some street that reminded me of Melrose Ave in LA....but again, couter culture... kind of seedy.

If we were to try renting in the city area, are there any "affordable" areas where one could find a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for under $1800 that is safe, near shops, walkable, etc.? I fear that there will be quite a culture shock. While I went to a pretty "hippy" liberal private college in the Northeast, I kind of welcomed that vibe back then. Now, we're at a different phase of our lives, and I'm not sure Portland is the place...

I was wondering if anyone else has relocated to Portland from LA/So.Ca? Having lived in LA for 15 years, I fear it's too much in my blood, faults and all... So, that said, to any peopel who HAVE relocated...I have a few questions...

What are the biggest likes/dislikes ?
How are you adjusting?
On the whole, do you like it and are you happy to have moved?
Is it hard to make new friends?
What do you miss?
Do you plan to stay?

I used to think that no matter where we went, my husband and I would be happy because we'd be together, and we are generally positive people. We shall see what happens...

Would love the input!

P.S.... Are Oregonians really "predjudiced" agained Californians due to their relocating to the area having an impact the real estate market -- driving up prices?? That's the reason we want to leave LA! I'd hate to **** people off before we even got there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times
Your impressions sound spot-on, and I'd have to say trust your instincts about Portland.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and have lived in Portland for 20 years. I hate it here -- the weather, the snotty hipsters, the slacker attitude. I used to say "at least it is affordable and less superficial than LA;" however, that is no longer true. In the past few years, Portland has become a sort of mecca for the young, shallow and trendy. You can find all of that in LA.

I don't regret my move, because my life has turned out well here, BUT I am ready to leave. I never adjusted to the weather, and I increasingly don't care for the attitude here.

Go with your gut. I never thought I'd miss LA, but I have been in the past couple of years.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
What part of LA do you live in? You stayed basically in the very heart of downtown. Would you expect people who visit only downtown LA to know what the region is like?

Yes, they're very different places. Most of LA is sprawl, suburbs and as long as you stay in "good areas" you don't have to look at things that may not appeal to you. Portland is a small city, so you get a little of everything within a small area. You could find a suburb here and stay in it and you wouldn't have to view anything "seedy" if that's what floats your boat.

I don't think people really hate Californians but they do hate people who come here and only complain about what it ISN'T. So, if you don't think you'll be happy here I wouldn't come.

As has been said on here before, the street kids you saw around Pioneer Square are there because of the services that are nearby. All big cities have homeless people and street kids but with Los Angeles, which is basically a series of suburbs, you don't see it unless you go to downtown LA (you know, the area where people from hospitals keep dumping people) or Melrose or whatever.

It always amazes me that with all the amazing stuff here in this city, people freak out about some kids hanging around and can't get passed it. I remember the homeless kids in Berkeley and I always laugh because it's like night and day here compared to that.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Hi Suncat,
Can I ask where you lived in LA, and what area you are in now in Portland? Do you have children?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Tin... Yes, I know what you are saying. I kind of figured that... and of course, it's silly to base our decision on one short weekend visit to small portion of the area. We live in the San Fernando Valley, though it's not where we would prefer to stay. We have our share of transients, people who live by day in our neighborhood parks, our share of a few addicts who raid our blue recycling bin on trash nights to get their bottle refunds for drugs.

We are at a tough cross-roads: Should we go where we may actually have a chance to save for retirement, with my hubby getting a better paying job in Portland...and which may also allow us to finally have a family, VS. stay, struggle pay check to pay check, but have the comfort of our friends and things familiar near by. It's a tough call...

Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 PM

147 posts, read 578,242 times
If you like the Valley, maybe you should look at Beaverton, Orenco or other suburbs. There are not as many fun stuffs happening, but there are not many homeless people roaming around and I don't see any hipsters out there.

Goose Hollow near 23rd are still in the city and is pretty safe and has many rentals.

If you think one weekend is depressing, you're in for a long 9 months.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM

147 posts, read 578,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Your impressions sound spot-on, and I'd have to say trust your instincts about Portland.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and have lived in Portland for 20 years. I hate it here -- the weather, the snotty hipsters, the slacker attitude. I used to say "at least it is affordable and less superficial than LA;" however, that is no longer true. In the past few years, Portland has become a sort of mecca for the young, shallow and trendy. You can find all of that in LA.

I don't regret my move, because my life has turned out well here, BUT I am ready to leave. I never adjusted to the weather, and I increasingly don't care for the attitude here.

Go with your gut. I never thought I'd miss LA, but I have been in the past couple of years.
20 years of hatred, that's a tough way to live.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinLA View Post
Hi Suncat,
Can I ask where you lived in LA, and what area you are in now in Portland? Do you have children?
I'm from Redondo Beach, live in SW Portland and don't have kids.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
20 years of hatred, that's a tough way to live.
Oh please. You prove my point about the people here.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Hi JoJo,

Actually, we don't "love" the Valley. It's what we could afford. My hubby and I are in our mid-thirties. We've never been "hipsters" per se, but we'd like to think we're hip (whatever that means...if that makes sense). We enjoy eating out and trying new restaurants, checking out new bars, having friends over for dinner, outdoor activities like hiking and walking with our dog. But, for the most part, life consists of work, eat, occasional ymca gym visit, walk dog, sleep, repeat... on weekends, throw in yard work and errands at Target and Trader Joe's. It's just knowing that we HAVE the option to go try a new Tapas restaurant, or sushi, or hit some new wine bar, or go hiking in the mountains, or swing by the beach for an afternoon drive or can take a day trip to wineries or San Diego. These are the things I know I'll miss.

Our suburban lifestyle doesn't necessarily, allow time for us to do these things all the time, but again, it's knowing we have the option. I guess I'm just looking for some positive feedback that gives me hope that a change and move to Portland won't be a big mistake!

Last edited by JinLA; 08-21-2007 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland