Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 PM

15 posts, read 39,252 times

Advertisements

Hello all

My wife and I are moving to the Portland area in a few months -my wife to attend the Art Institute, and I, managing vineyards in the in the yamhill county area, and we've gotten close to deciding to rent in the Murrayhill area as a means to split the commutes...

Question: It seems that my wife can either drive to the park and ride at Milikan Max and head to the Art Institute for a trimet monthly pass (public trans time of +45min).... Or buy a parking lot pass in the pearl and drive in.

How is the commute from murraryhill area into the Pearl. Time-wise and stress-wise? Get on the sunset hwy or I5??

There are sub 100$ parking passes around the pearl and if the commute isn't hell, it might be worth the time spent in public trans...

Of course the best option would be to live right by the max (orenco, 185th..etc) But that is getting too into the city for my commute out to yamhill and i'd prefer not to drive over the chehalem mtns everyday.

Thoughts? Advice?

Better area to split the commute in general??

thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
The Murray Hill area does not seem to me a good choice if you are commuting to Yamhill County. Would you be taking Hwy. 99 to your job? If so, I think Tigard would be a better choice. Your wife could drive to a Max stop and take Max into the city, then transfer to a bus or the streetcar to get to the Pearl. It would probably be very time consuming. If it were me, I'd cough up the money for a parking lot and drive to the Pearl.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
From the Murrayhill area, there's an express bus to downtown Portland: TriMet: Bus Line 92-South Beaverton Express Map and Schedule

If it fits your wife's schedule, it would be better than driving to the MAX.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes, I'll be heading S on 99. But from Murrayhill i drove a nice straight shot off of Scholls Ferry onto Roy Rogers Rd to get into Sherwood (10mins saturday afternoon), and that seems to be just as long as getting from somewhere in tigard to sherwood (unless we live closer to king city)

Sherwood is a possibility, but it seems far for my wife and its seems a little too quiet...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
I think the Murrayhill area would be a good choice for you. It wouldn't be an awful walk from the Max station at Jeld Wen Field to the Art Institute (maybe 8 blocks max?) The Millikan Way Max station is a bit of a slog along Murray because it can be busy and there are a lot of lights between there and Murrayhill. But the station always has plenty of parking, and the trains are pretty frequent (every 5-8 minutes during rush hour).

Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
If your wife can take one bus or rail line, it's worth it to take public transportation. If she can read or do schoolwork during this time, it will be a time saver overall. It's when you have to make transfers that it really gets debatable. Will she be commuting during rush hour? If so, driving in will be a time and frustration sink.

For your commute, I feel I should warn you that the Scholl's Ferry and Roy Rogers intersection can get backed up. I haven't done it regularly enough to figure out what the time frame is but I've seen it happen and got stuck in it.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Hmm... yes every time we go up to portland to look around its usually on the weekends. The only solace i have is that I'm going AWAY from the commute both AM and PM...but we still can't decide on exactly where to start renting. As much as I hate moving, we probably won't find the perfect location on our first try..

I wonder about the durham/tualatin area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland