Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,677 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Portland, and I love Halloween! A few questions:
Since Halloween is on a Monday this year, will trick-or-treating still happen that evening? What time does it usually start? I'm decorating my house and hoping for lots of trick-or-treaters.
What are the best Halloween activities in Portland for adults?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
It's mostly dependent on the weather and your neighborhood. There are some neighborhoods that really get into Halloween and get lots of trick or treaters and others like our that get maybe 4 or 5 knocks. If it's cold and rainy, especially if it's on a weeknight too, then there will be few trick or treaters. Most parents who do get the kids out are doing it right when it gets to be dusk/dark. Unfortunately each year it seems less and less people are into Halloween here in Portland and I don't know if it's the weather or what but it's nothing like it was when I was younger

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I live in the Buckman neighborhood off Hawthorne and I haven't had a trick or treater in five years or more. We used to have lots of them. I miss the kids in their costumes but I believe they are instead participating in organized activities at their schools or park districts.

I still buy a bag of candy though, just in case.

It may be different where you live.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
It seems to me that the downward trend in Trick or Treating in the Portland area started in the mid-80's when we had some issues with someone putting phonograph needles into candy. It got a couple of kids, but nothing too bad. Many of the hospitals the next year offered free X-Rays of Candy, but didn't actually find anything. After that shopping malls started offering Trick or Treating, which was then followed by areas like Downtown Gresham.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
The main drag in Eastmoreland used to be the go to place for going trick or treating in years past.
The nieghborhodd used to put on quite the show.
Decorated houses, etc...
The logic from the kids was big houses, rich owners = bigger and better candy.
I haven't been there in a few years but I am sure it's still going strong.

In the Woodstock neighborhood, I have usually about 20-30 kids at my door.
Mostly groups of little kids with parents.
After 8pm, it's dead.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 344,341 times
If Halloween falls on a weekday, like it does this year, we usually have kids start going around right after they get home from school. At least, that's how it is in my neighborhood. We have kind of an "unwritten rule" around here to go only to houses that have their porch light on. It's kind of a signal that they are home and have candy.

I gotta admit, I really resent older kids (i.e.: over 18) coming around to get candy. As far as I'm concerned, trick or treating is for little kids.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
-We were in Portland at Halloween last year. Overall it seemed pretty quiet. Missed the pre-Halloween downtown zombie march by a week or two. Keep an eye out for it.
-Went to a corn maze outside of town. It was wet and muddy, and mainly for kids and teenagers, but still kind of entertaining. We did not get lost and call 911 (reference to news story this week).

Trick or treating seems to have gone down in popularity over the past few years across the country, due in part to safety concerns (including rumors about drugs or razors in food, etc.). I'd ask neighbors about likely turnout before buying a lot of treats. Anyone else out there old enough to remember the song "Monster Mash," by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI

Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
-We were in Portland at Halloween last year. Overall it seemed pretty quiet. Missed the pre-Halloween downtown zombie march by a week or two. Keep an eye out for it.
-Went to a corn maze outside of town. It was wet and muddy, and mainly for kids and teenagers, but still kind of entertaining. We did not get lost and call 911 (reference to news story this week).

Trick or treating seems to have gone down in popularity over the past few years across the country, due in part to safety concerns (including rumors about drugs or razors in food, etc.). I'd ask neighbors about likely turnout before buying a lot of treats. Anyone else out there old enough to remember the song "Monster Mash," by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers?
bobby 'boris' pickett & the cryptkickers - monster mash - YouTube

Oh yes indeed! Monster Mash!

After the razor scare and I think it all wound up to be just rumours, parents were advised to only accept wrapped candy. That made sense but I remember when I was a kid back in the dinosaur age, people actually gave us apples and homemade popcorn balls and sometimes even homemade backed goods like fudge or cookies.

No one ever even thought about sabotaging our Halloween candy.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadria View Post
What are the best Halloween activities in Portland for adults?
Thanks!!
The Corn Maze on Sauvie's Island.
Boo Ball
Here's a list of events.
Good list of Pumpkin Patches, etc. here.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Almost non-existent.

Even back in Georgia, we almost never saw trick-or-treaters anymore. I think that part of Halloween is pretty much dead, or nearly so. Sad. When I was a kid it was always a big deal with awesome home-made costumes (thanks mom!) and long walks from house-to-house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland