Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 28,367 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody:

Would anyone help me to understand which will be the right option to choose on how to respond a speeding ticket in Multnomah County? My goal is to dismiss the ticket by the school program because is my first speeding ticket.

The radar caught me driving at 41 m/hr in a zone that allows only 30 m/hr.

Should I declare myself guilty and sent a written statement explaining to mitigate the violation? Including a petition to be considered for the school program or should be better to respond NO Guilty and go to court to fight?

Thank you in advance for your smart advice.

JJ

Last edited by JJimenezE; 10-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: is not legible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
If there is a phone number on the ticket for information or the county clerk, call them and ask them what to do.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM

I called already but the person told me that they are not allowed to give me any advice

Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
Maybe your insurance company would have some information? I wouldn't give out my name or policy number to them though.

You could go to court and find out there. I've gone and had the ticketing officer not show up.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
Alright take my advice with a grain of salt because I know Idaho law a lot better than Oregon.

Usually how it will work is you go in and plead guilty pay your fine then you pay to go to traffic school. At the end of traffic school you get the ticket taken off your record and or not reported to your insurance company.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM

thank you to everybody, I just wrote a letter to explain what was happened. I made a little research speaking with the police officer at the radar station, they are not good comunicators. The maximun discount at court is only 10% but you have to spend at least half day at court. There is not a school option at Multnomah County according to the police officer. My insurance company did not get anynews about the court; that makes me think that probably my letter would work at least to stop the comunication between the court and the insurance company. I am still in a waiting mode until the end of January.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,440 times
There are actually a few good traffic ticket lawyers there in Multnomah County. You can google a few of them. You pay them a hundred bucks or so and usually they can get the ticket dropped to a lower charge like illegal parking or something. It worked for me when I got a ticket for running a red light. Good luck. It happens to all of us at some point.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
If you haven't paid the ticket yet, you should go in on the date the ticket has issued for you. There you can plead your case to the person in the booth after waiting in line. If it isn't a ticket in a construction zone, she can reduce the ticket a little bit. If you plead no guilty, you get a court date where you should talk to the officer there before the judge gets in. Which when doing that you should be honest and respectful. With that, the ticket will more than likely be reduced by half. Also you don't have to pay the ticket until after your trial date, which gives you extra time to save up the money if need be.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 11,661 times
Morning Sir...
Not to be rude or disrespectful but if you just pay the ticket and actually declare yourself "Guilty" because you went over the "Speed Limit" (Which is not a "Crime") then you should really consider other options of travel. NO VICTIM, NO CRIME...Period. If there is no injured party, how can there be a Citation/Summons/Ticket issued? I know this always get people riled up, all I ask it do some research and prove me wrong. Happy New Year.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Entity View Post
Morning Sir...
Not to be rude or disrespectful but if you just pay the ticket and actually declare yourself "Guilty" because you went over the "Speed Limit" (Which is not a "Crime") then you should really consider other options of travel. NO VICTIM, NO CRIME...Period. If there is no injured party, how can there be a Citation/Summons/Ticket issued? I know this always get people riled up, all I ask it do some research and prove me wrong. Happy New Year.
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that you should use public transportation so that you don't get the ticket in the first place? Or drive safe so that you don't get the ticket in the first place? Or fight the ticket no matter what? Or...?

Please enlighten this confused soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: