Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

If you are working in WA you should live there. You won't escape Oregon's income tax if you work in Oregon and live in WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Places way north like Seattle don't usually have the paperwork on hand to fill out, or the cashiers don't know how. Cabellos and IKEA will both gladly take it off for you and the cashiers are well trained in how to do so. In fact the Cabellos cashiers are almost militant about it. I don't care about the tax on a five dollar item, but they still insist on taking it off.
Good point. These stores that go out of their way to follow the law, are rare.
However, I have never been challenged by this request for a tax exemption. I bought some Xmas gifts at the now closing (another thread), Barnes & Noble in U-Village in Seattle with a valid Oregon drivers license. There was a a few seconds of confusion, but they got it right quickly. Kudos to B&N for their quick resolution to this.

Speaking of Barnes & Noble, I understand this particular closing in a highly regarded retail center in the middle of an upper income area is really not due to the problems of the industry, but more an issue of the center attempting to become even more profitable with higher end stores. OK, understand this business decision, but now any bookstore fan will need to travel to Northgate. Not the worst scenerio, and I hope for the best for U-Village, if they can turn this into increased revenue. I guess I will always remember U-Village as a typical mall, with mid-priced stores, (Rhodes, for example, followed by Lamonts), but this obviously doesnt cut the mustard in 2011. Now, it is about taking advantage of being near the most affluent residential areas in the city, Laurelhurst, Windemere, Hawthorne Hills, and part of View Ridge. I get it. (Just remember you will pay more when you shop in U-Village, and while that is their goal, it isn't necessarily the best thing you can do).

Last edited by pw72; 10-28-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Speaking of Barnes & Noble, I understand this particular closing in a highly regarded retail center in the middle of an upper income area is really not due to the problems of the industry, but more an issue of the center attempting to become even more profitable with higher end stores. OK, understand this business decision, but now any bookstore fan will need to travel to Northgate. Not the worst scenerio, and I hope for the best for U-Village, if they can turn this into increased revenue.
Uh.. how many independent book stores are there on University Street?

According to Goole there are seven bookstores within a mile of there.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Uh.. how many independent book stores are there on University Street?

According to Goole there are seven bookstores within a mile of there.
Well, there is only one major one on University Avenue, "The U Book Store." I was referring to major stores, but your point is taken.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
I thought this was the Portland, Oregon Forum? At the very least, when you're talking about other cities, it'd be nice if that was indicated in your post ... I had to read back through all the posts just to find out that I had no interest in what you guys were talking about.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I thought this was the Portland, Oregon Forum? At the very least, when you're talking about other cities, it'd be nice if that was indicated in your post ... I had to read back through all the posts just to find out that I had no interest in what you guys were talking about.
Welcome to the Internet. Discussions often take twists and turns, and sometimes don't read like a well-written article. Sorry to cause such a disconcerting experience.

Yes, this thread is in the Portland forum, but the discusssion is WA vs OR applicable to tax issues. Seattle and Portland are the two principle cities, so one could probably make some assumptions here. I believe most posts have addressed the original topic, with the exception of the last post regarding the number of major book stores remaining in Seattle. Oh well, life goes on.

If you are looking for an organized, step by step discussion of any subject, I'm afraid you are in the wrong place.

Last edited by pw72; 10-30-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
I worked at a retail store in Seattle, and we consistently got OR and AK customers, so were well versed on how to log the transaction and take the tax off. I can't imagine you'll have much trouble, esp. if it's a place where you's spending over $50.

We didn't have any trouble at the outlets up I-5. They knew what to do.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 AM

323 posts, read 321,737 times
Taxes will increase everywhere! Mc Cain gets in and there will be sales taxes, but your income tax will reduce big time.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Welcome to the Internet. Discussions often take twists and turns, and sometimes don't read like a well-written article. Sorry to cause such a disconcerting experience.

Yes, this thread is in the Portland forum, but the discusssion is WA vs OR applicable to tax issues. Seattle and Portland are the two principle cities, so one could probably make some assumptions here. I believe most posts have addressed the original topic, with the exception of the last post regarding the number of major book stores remaining in Seattle. Oh well, life goes on.

If you are looking for an organized, step by step discussion of any subject, I'm afraid you are in the wrong place.
This is the Portland Forum. When talking something of OR vs WA, it's Vancouver. Not Seattle. And it was three posts discussing bookstores in Seattle without making it clear that's what you were discussing. If you all want to discuss that ... take it to the Seattle Forum, or at very least be clear in what you're talking about. That's all I'm saying. Staying somewhere near to the topic would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Have you been to Seattle? People that have been there a few times should have at least heard of University Ave, the U district, or University Village?
Granted I lived in Seattle, but it really wasn't that difficult to know what/where they were talking about.

If you haven't been up there, you should go sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland