Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 PM

323 posts, read 321,634 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Vancouver WA, in which plan to relocate to the Washington County or possibly Clackamas County. Everyone from this side of the river tell me "oh no you going to hav to pay a lot more in taxes". What are they talking about if already employed in Oregon. Are property taxes that much more? Or is everything in general taxes higher in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
According to the website of The Tax Foundation, Washington taxes are higher. But so are salaries.

Oregonians pay 9.8% of their income in taxes (which is the national average), paying $3,761 per capita. April 8 is their "tax freedom day."

Washingtonians pay 9.3% of their income in taxes, but pay $4,408 per capita. April 16 is their "tax freedom day."

I think people in Washington fool themselves on taxes, because they pay out so much day to day in sales tax, they're not aware of how it adds up.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
For a given level of services fees/taxes must be collected. "Back in the day" Vancouverites paid less in property taxes than Portlanders but that isn't, generally, the case any more because Clark County now has to provide urban services such as storm water, drinking water, sewerage... streets had to be improved. Clark County used to be somewhat rural. Clark County residents still want all the services without paying for them... replace the bridge but no toll, Oregon should widen I-5 through Portland but not extend light rail which would reduce the pressure on I-5. Portland, and Oregon, are now taking the position that they will no longer eat out of our lunch bucket.

Remember that state income taxes are deductible on you Fed tax return. Frankly if you were to add up all sales taxes, property taxes and fees paid it would be a wash.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM

323 posts, read 321,634 times
Nell,
Thank you for clarifying the difference's. I believe there should be tolls on both bridges that cross from Washington.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM

Each time the I-5 Interstate bridge has been upgraded it was tolled until paid for.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Each time the I-5 Interstate bridge has been upgraded it was tolled until paid for.
The Astoria-Megler bridge is no longer tolled, but I see that the Bridge of the Gods still is. Does anyone know if that is a temporary toll too?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
I currently live in Vancouver WA, in which plan to relocate to the Washington County or possibly Clackamas County. Everyone from this side of the river tell me "oh no you going to hav to pay a lot more in taxes". What are they talking about if already employed in Oregon. Are property taxes that much more? Or is everything in general taxes higher in Oregon?
Property taxes are somewhat higher in Oregon, but otherwise those people believe one of the following:

1. They are assuming you pay no Oregon state income taxes but you buy all of your stuff in Oregon; or

2. They just assume that the overall tax burden is significantly higher in Oregon (which it isn't, for most people).

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM

The pro-business folks who complain of Oregon taxes are focused on personal income tax, they overlook Washington's Business & Occupation tax which is based on a business' gross sales, not profit. Oregon taxes business based on profits. There is a reason why most business activity on Portland metro is on the Oregon side.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Fred View Post
Income tax is not all THAT high in Oregon. I think the right-wing, pro-business crowd tends to inflate the tax situation in Oregon.
Well it is a fact that more growth overall during the past decade came from states with no income tax. But for the typical taxpayer, the difference between Oregon and Washington is probably negligible.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 PM

The spotted owl issue put Oregon's resource economy on the skids. It appears that the spotted owl is dying off not because of the loss of old growth timber but by the encroachment of another species of owl from the east, the barred owl, and another encroachment from the east - sudden oak disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland