Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 AM

26 posts, read 58,633 times

Advertisements

Today I was driving in Beaverton. I was going down Allen and making a right hand turn onto Hall blvd. (Police love to "hide" behind a bush next to the shell station there) As I approached the intersection, I saw the light on Allen turned red, I slowed my car, stopped briefly looked long enough to see the oncoming traffic headed down Hall had not started to move yet so I proceeded to turn right before they started to come. I was pulled over by a motorcycle officer and sited for running a red light. Now he says I did not come to a complete stop and I know that I did because I looked over at the traffic to make sure no one was coming before I turned. I was in my car alone and have no one to witness. It is simply my word against the officers. Does anyone have an idea of how this might play out in a court room? I intend to plead not guilty because I stopped. I have been told in the past that the officer has to show burden of proof which I would be surprised if he could because it’s just my word against his, then to the contrary, I have been told it is common for a judge in Beaverton to just take the officers word for it and force me to pay the $380.00 fine? Anyone have experience in this department? I can’t really afford the $380 bucks and I can tell my side of the story, but the officer is obviously going to insist I didn’t make a complete stop. There is really know way to prove it either way. UUgghhh! HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 AM

81 posts, read 189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgem View Post
Today I was driving in Beaverton. I was going down Allen and making a right hand turn onto Hall blvd. (Police love to "hide" behind a bush next to the shell station there) As I approached the intersection, I saw the light on Allen turned red, I slowed my car, stopped briefly looked long enough to see the oncoming traffic headed down Hall had not started to move yet so I proceeded to turn right before they started to come. I was pulled over by a motorcycle officer and sited for running a red light. Now he says I did not come to a complete stop and I know that I did because I looked over at the traffic to make sure no one was coming before I turned. I was in my car alone and have no one to witness. It is simply my word against the officers. Does anyone have an idea of how this might play out in a court room? I intend to plead not guilty because I stopped. I have been told in the past that the officer has to show burden of proof which I would be surprised if he could because it’s just my word against his, then to the contrary, I have been told it is common for a judge in Beaverton to just take the officers word for it and force me to pay the $380.00 fine? Anyone have experience in this department? I can’t really afford the $380 bucks and I can tell my side of the story, but the officer is obviously going to insist I didn’t make a complete stop. There is really know way to prove it either way. UUgghhh! HELP!
Sorry to hear that you got a ticket. I don't think it's just Beaverton that judges side with the officer's words over yours as I know that's the same in SoCal during my younger hot blooded years . Since I'm still new to the neighborhood, I suggest that you might want to go back to that intersection to see if there's any kind of camera (red light, security, etc.) around that may be pointing at the intersection when you got a ticket. If you intend to contest at court, there's a possibility that the officer may not show up for whatever reason. At which point, the judge will dismiss the case and your ticket will be voided. On the other hand, you can state your financial situation and ask for community service in lieu of fine should the officer show up and you lost the argument.

By the way, I've been told that cops like to hand out tickets near the end of the month because of the quota. Whether that's true or not, I do notice that the cops tend to camp out more often at end of month approaches.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM

638 posts, read 1,174,697 times
Yes, I agree with everything TwentyTwenty said. Show up to court for sure. I have had this happen in TN and I said that I had stopped (I did--and looked both ways before proceeding) and he told me that they are looking to see that your head falls back after you brake. If you keep leaning forward while you're stopped they will pull you over for not coming to a complete stop. It doesn't seem fair, but if they're trying to meet a quota (or win the cruise at the end of the year like in TN) this is a great way to give out lots of tickets.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,405,981 times
This is a reason that I always stop and make a slow count to five before I even start looking for traffic.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,501,757 times
Oregon police hate rolling stops and will ticket drivers they think do that. One told me that they look at the wheels, they must stop turning.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,237,160 times
It was reported in the Oregonian in January that WASHCO was going to start enforcing the "complete stop" rule big time at stop signs and when turning right on red. I live north of 26 in the Cedar Mill area and the cops wait in a church parking lot to catch people. A few weeks ago one of our library volunteers was ticketed. The only traffic ticket I ever received has been in the Beaverton area. A friend told me not to worry that the traffic judge was lenient with first time offenders. He cut my fine in half a couple years ago. The Oregonian also reported that the WASHCO traffic judge cannot reduce first time offender fines any more.

Scroll down to Page three of the minutes. Supposedly, some fines were supposed to be reduced but which ones and dates were not given.

http://www.beavertonoregon.gov/archi...07,%202011.pdf

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 PM

343 posts, read 691,405 times
To make a right turn on red at any stop sign or stop light, one has to come to a complete stop for 2 full seconds. The general rule of thumb is count "one thousand one, one thousand two." Anything less is considered a rolling stop or hollywood stop.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM

804 posts, read 2,885,740 times
It may have felt like you stopped completely. The trick I use to make sure a vehicle has came to a complete stop is watch their rims. If the rims do not stop rotating then the vehicle did not stop. Usually this is not a ticket but it is good PC for a stop.

The officer will come to court and testify that through his XX amount of years of training and experience he determined your vehicle did not come to a complete stop by what ever method he used. About the only defense against you may have is to show that the officers view of your car was blocked or distracted somehow.

You can then calmly articulate to the Judge why you felt you did come a complete stop.
Im my experience the Officer will usually win in that situation but the Judge may still dismiss the ticket or lower the penalty. It really all depends on what Judge you get and what kind of day they are having.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM

57 posts, read 147,373 times
This is in Beaverton and the only chance you have is a reduced fine. Beaverton cops love, rolling right turns, speeding and red light cameras. When in Beaverton dot all your i's and cross all your t's.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:57 PM

908 posts, read 1,655,869 times
Lightbulb Let's make a list of camera intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
To make a right turn on red at any stop sign or stop light, one has to come to a complete stop for 2 full seconds. The general rule of thumb is count "one thousand one, one thousand two." Anything less is considered a rolling stop or hollywood stop.
wow! thanks so much. i have to drive thru beaverton often, and had no clue about the right turn on red/ rolling stop thing. so, if they are using cameras, that means tickets are sent in the mail.... ewwww. Saying my prayers!

Q- are the cameras visible, and does anyone know for sure what main intersections they are on???

Let's make an ongoing list here!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland