Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM

26 posts, read 39,333 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm a South Jersey girl (born in Philly, raised just outside of Philly) who goes to college in DC. My boyfriend and I have looked at a few cities (and their suburbs) we like and are considering moving to in the future to raise a family.
- Washington DC
- Philly
- Portland

I have never been, but he loves Portland.

Thus, here comes my Portland post. We are looking for;

Walkable area. I'm from a small town where you could walk everywhere, and it was residential around a small downtown with a few shops. I couldn't live somewhere that sprawled out endlessly with strip malls and stuff. No McMansions either!!

Good schools. I am not concerned with having "the best" schools, I just want a solid education for my future kids (as in, planning for next 10-20 years).

Short-ish commute. At most a 20-30 minute commute is acceptable. The commute from my home town to Center City, Philly was only 10 minutes hahah I have high standards (<3 PATCO!). I'd be looking to get a job in Portland, or somewhere nearby.

I want a HOUSE, not a condo, penthouse, or whatever. I want a 3-4 bedroom, 1-2 bathroom with a front and back yard, sidewalks, and a park within walking distance. Maybe this is a lot to ask for but where I am from, this stuff is plentiful. Problem is, jobs aren't plentiful there

Honestly, just looking for a stable, safe-feeling, comfortable suburb that is walkable and has a 'small-town' feel.

Towns I have looked into; Beaverton (I know it's big but I have heard lots of good things), Lake Oswego, and Sherwood. I really like the looks of Lake Oswego.

Can anyone explain the public transit system(s) in Portland? I don't know much about them.

If it means anything my boyfriend is upper class while I am lower middle class, in regards to economic standpoints. We are both white, left-of-center politically standing, and non-religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
You talk about a commute... but didn't say to where.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Downtown Portland, I imagine. This is all hypothetical. Just somewhere within 20-30 minutes at most from downtown Portland, if that helps.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,203 times
i live in lake oswego. its a nice place and theres some cool people but its not as cool as when i was a kid, i use to race slot cars but there gone like alote of stores.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
BTW, your race is not a factor in housing.

"Downtown" Lake Oswego does fit your description although I have no idea about transit from there to downtown Portland. It appears there is a bus, routes 35 & 36.

One cutsie area convenient to the MAX (our light rail) would be Orenco Station near Hillsboro.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
What kind of job will you be looking for? The unemployment rate in Portland is very high and competition for whatever may be available is very, very heavy unless you have a specialized skill. Other than that, signing up at a temp agency is a good way to go.

The type of housing you describe may be found in the suburbs but not likely in Portland itself.

Lake Oswego is beautiful but very expensive. Also the commute is long with buses going through circuitous routes. Sherwood would be more reasonable. I think the best bet for what you are looking for would be Beaverton. It has everything including a light rail that goes directly to downtown Portland. And there are lots of apartments at reasonable rents. I don't know about houses there.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,704 times
if you are young why do you want to live in the suburbs? why not live in the city?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 PM

145 posts, read 265,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
if you are young why do you want to live in the suburbs? why not live in the city?
I thought the same thing..lol.

I would NOT live in Lake Oswego...and I am 30. I'd retire there, sure.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi527 View Post
I thought the same thing..lol.

I would NOT live in Lake Oswego...and I am 30. I'd retire there, sure.

Where would you live, then? Or DO you live, I guess I should ask? Just want some input. It's hard to get a good idea for these places via the internet, I will be visiting in a few months though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
BTW, your race is not a factor in housing.

"Downtown" Lake Oswego does fit your description although I have no idea about transit from there to downtown Portland. It appears there is a bus, routes 35 & 36.

One cutsie area convenient to the MAX (our light rail) would be Orenco Station near Hillsboro.

Oh, I'm well aware it's not a factor, but to some of the folks on here it seems to be. I frequented these forums for a while before signing up today, and everyone seems quite intent on mentioning this stuff so I figured it would be good to throw in.

Last edited by Marka; 11-07-2011 at 12:24 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyborninDC View Post
Okay, so I'm a South Jersey girl (born in Philly, raised just outside of Philly) who goes to college in DC. My boyfriend and I have looked at a few cities (and their suburbs) we like and are considering moving to in the future to raise a family.
- Washington DC
- Philly
- Portland

I have never been, but he loves Portland.

Thus, here comes my Portland post. We are looking for;

Walkable area. I'm from a small town where you could walk everywhere, and it was residential around a small downtown with a few shops. I couldn't live somewhere that sprawled out endlessly with strip malls and stuff. No McMansions either!!

Good schools. I am not concerned with having "the best" schools, I just want a solid education for my future kids (as in, planning for next 10-20 years).

Short-ish commute. At most a 20-30 minute commute is acceptable. The commute from my home town to Center City, Philly was only 10 minutes hahah I have high standards (<3 PATCO!). I'd be looking to get a job in Portland, or somewhere nearby.

I want a HOUSE, not a condo, penthouse, or whatever. I want a 3-4 bedroom, 1-2 bathroom with a front and back yard, sidewalks, and a park within walking distance. Maybe this is a lot to ask for but where I am from, this stuff is plentiful. Problem is, jobs aren't plentiful there

Honestly, just looking for a stable, safe-feeling, comfortable suburb that is walkable and has a 'small-town' feel.

Towns I have looked into; Beaverton (I know it's big but I have heard lots of good things), Lake Oswego, and Sherwood. I really like the looks of Lake Oswego.

Can anyone explain the public transit system(s) in Portland? I don't know much about them.

If it means anything my boyfriend is upper class while I am lower middle class, in regards to economic standpoints. We are both white, left-of-center politically standing, and non-religious.
mainline philadelphia has it all, with a decent jobs market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland