Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 PM

21 posts, read 45,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh wow!! I've never even heard of anyone flyfishing for Tuna, not bluefin, not yellowfin, and not albacore. An 80 pounder would tire out all six fishermen on the boat, a 300 pounder would turn all arms to jello. I did land a six pound largemouth bass on a flyrod, ahhhhhh, that was fun.

Nice catch, you can catch just about anything on a fly rod. I didn't mean to make it sound like NC didn't have good fishing, but I'm not into deep sea fishing, I'm terrified of the ocean. I would like to catch some salmon in a river, that sounds fun to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM

145 posts, read 265,034 times
1bedroom houses are hard to come by, especially for 700 bucks.

I'd suggest looking close in. Either SE (before 60th), NE...lots of public transportation to get you to PSU.

Me personally, if I were attending PSU - I'd rent a studio downtown. Sure, not much room..but I like convenience. Walk to class!

Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Thank you for your reply, I think I'm going to try and find something a little ways off but has close access to the MAX. The apartments close to campus seem to be overpriced and short on vacancy. I also have lived in an Army barracks room for quite some time as I am single (im also stationed up here in Alaska and they don't even let SGTs move off post) so I am so sick of cramped living quaters where your bedroom is your living room and kitchen.

I suppose at the end of the day I will end up taking what I can get though.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
My quick glance at Craig's list was interesting, several are taking applications for PSU students entering in the fall of 2012. Grim... Apartments listed now will be gone before you move. I see that there is a very small 1 bedroom on St. Clair in your budget. The Goose Hollow neighborhood has a resident parking permit (modest city fee) so you could leave your car on the street. There is a large grocery store nearby, convenient transit and walking distance to PSU and meet-up spots on NW 23rd & The Pearl.

The two nearby tower apartment buildings are more expensive.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You will be lucky to find a 1 bedroom apartment for $700/mo within 15 minutes of PSU let alone a house. Contact PSU about housing, there is a limited number of student apartments under their management. You may have priority as a disabled vet. Car parking may be an issue too (this is a down town school).
PSU, along with almost all Oregon Colleges, have at least one person, and frequently and entire Office Dedicated to Veterans Affairs. Contacting the college will get you in touch with that person or office and they'll be sure to get you everything that you deserve.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierInTransit View Post
Nice catch, you can catch just about anything on a fly rod. I didn't mean to make it sound like NC didn't have good fishing, but I'm not into deep sea fishing, I'm terrified of the ocean. I would like to catch some salmon in a river, that sounds fun to me.
You can do some sea fishing from the shore. Also docks on rivers, such as Yaquina Bay in Newport.

The Rouge River is supposed to be "the" spot for fishing these days. But if you can ever get over your fear of the ocean, deep seeing salmon fishing is absolutely awesome.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierInTransit View Post
Thank you for your reply, I think I'm going to try and find something a little ways off but has close access to the MAX. The apartments close to campus seem to be overpriced and short on vacancy. I also have lived in an Army barracks room for quite some time as I am single (im also stationed up here in Alaska and they don't even let SGTs move off post) so I am so sick of cramped living quaters where your bedroom is your living room and kitchen.

I suppose at the end of the day I will end up taking what I can get though.
Unfortunately, this describes the apartment situation in most of Portland. I would suggest you take what you can find for now. After actually living here, you will have the opportunity to find something better since most landlords don't advertise because they don't need to for the good places.

What they do is put out a for rent sign and within a very short period of time the good stuff will be gone. If you are right there to apply, you will have a good chance of getting something you will really like.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
What Minervah said. Implied in that is to live light, don't buy anything more than you absolutely need in the way of household goods as when you find the perfect place you don't want to be moving a lot of stuff. Portland has several traditional resale places and a huge Goodwill store.

One of the 'traditions' around many universities is the sale of the contents of senior class apartments. I haven't noticed it around PSU but then I haven't been looking.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM

Great information, thank you guys very much!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
Hmmmm Portland and military aren't a good mix, I know that because I'm currently Air National Guard and former active duty. I'd look at Tacoma Wash, near fort lewis, or Spokane, Wa. much more military friendly. Trust me you'll thank me for researching that. I get into it weekly off base with hippys and stupid ****ing liberal twenty somethings from this new awful entitlement generation. I'm not exactly liberal or conservative, I love colbert and Stewart and subscribe to mostly liberal views but my time in the military has showed me that conservative ways have benefits also.

Every week with out fail I see or hear something that really pisses me off here. Last week im eating at a ethnic sit down restaurant near the airport in unform and some dumb 20 gauge earing goteed idiot asks me "whats it like to be a cog in the machine" I asked "what is it like to be a 25 year old bus boy with bad hygiene and ****ed up teeth."

Then last week, I was getting lunch and the guy behind the counter was wearing green spandex goggles and a sombrero. It was mexican fusion so I thought okay a little ecentric. Well he shot his mouth off about supporting corporate agendas. I told him "Whats the problem you tried to get a job at a corportation but they didn't support your love of spandex and goggles as professional attire."

This city will drive you mad. I laugh at the crap I see on a daily basis but in uniform I am always confronted and annoyed. I was born and raised here and I don't even recognize the city anymore. It's like Portland put out an ad 10 years ago that said if your an insane, unemployable, wannabe artist, like wearing stupid clothes, and pretending that your degree from a liberal arts college makes you and expert on everything, come to Portland, everyone is different just like you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland