Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:44 AM

268 posts, read 290,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I'm glad I did it. I lived in DC for 7 years and then moved to LA for 2 before coming up here. Moving to LA allowed me to make a lot of adjustments - football on at 10 am on Sunday, watching the whole Oscars telecast before falling asleep, driving a car regularly (I didn't own one in DC), being on the west coast with the ocean to the west instead of the east. But, I love my neighborhood that's an actual neighborhood and I can afford a house and nobody looks askance at my hoopty.

As far as adjustments, the weather is still something I'm adjusting to. I didn't mind the first winter but the second and third hit me hard and harder. By March, I needed sun. I've made a few adjustments including a grow light in my office and it got better. This year, I'm including vitamin D supplements so we'll see how it goes. For me it's not the rain, it's the lack of sunshine. Sure there are sun breaks but if you work in an office, you won't see them. Instead you'll drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. You can catch up some on the weekend but it's tough.

Another thing is that travel from Portland to see family is more difficult than I thought it would be. We have to fly to visit most of the family and Portland's not exactly a hub city. Most flights involve a stopover somewhere and the tickets aren't cheap.
Hoopty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Let me google that for you

Old 11-08-2014, 12:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Everyone has told me that I need to move to the PNW. I have a friend pushing me to check out Bend.
I haven't because of the people I have met. There hasn't been one person from the PNW I have encountered that was truly friendly. It was all very superficial. They seem to say what they need to, whether or not it is the truth.

Some people don't think community is an important factor for a move but it is to many of us. After living all over the country, I have found rural Midwesterners to be very community oriented. Many of my friends and family question why I would want to "live in a boring place that is flat". Simple things like neighbors waving, bringing food over, and basic courtesy makes a huge difference in the quality of life.
Community oriented means different things to different people. My wife and I often get toget her with friends and family each week for food or drinks. I have had a number of random conversations with neighbors because everyone is friendly where I live. I don't wave at all the neighbors when I see them in passing, but that has never been a common trait in the Northwest.

Though I am a strong believer that one should live where they are happiest, and if the Midwest is where you like it the most then that makes sense to want to live there.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:18 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Um, libraries are typically not the place one would go for chatting with other people and making lots of noise. Libraries are more for people who are working on projects and being quiet.
Um, everybody knows that about libraries. The person you were replying to was talking about a a crowded bus stop.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:04 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Frankly I rarely chat-it-up with random strangers at bus stops but I always give the bus driver a smile and hello. I do, however, go out of my way to help out of town visitors in my community and on the bus.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Um, everybody knows that about libraries. The person you were replying to was talking about a a crowded bus stop.
The post I commented on he was talking about libraries.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
It's really strange. You can sometimes be standing a a crowded bus stop and it's as silent as a library. No one talks or looks at anyone else.
This is the post you commented on. He was talking about bus stops and using libraries as an analogy. There was no need for the cyber eye roll and um....correction. That's all.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is the post you commented on. He was talking about bus stops and using libraries as an analogy. There was no need for the cyber eye roll and um....correction. That's all.
You're right, I misread that, my mistake.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:15 PM

418 posts, read 727,477 times
Although, man, these days, the library's not such a quiet place anymore.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 PM

111 posts, read 171,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Frankly I rarely chat-it-up with random strangers at bus stops but I always give the bus driver a smile and hello. I do, however, go out of my way to help out of town visitors in my community and on the bus.
My wife and I had a very strange, for us, experience when flying out of PDX about a month ago. After boarding the economy parking lot shuttle we were one of 6 couples on the bus. One of the couples started chatting with another about their destination, and shortly thereafter the entire bus was gleefully discussing their travel plans with each other.

It got to the point where they literally looked at my wife and I (I assume we looked pretty uncomfortable) and said "well you're the last ones to share, where are you heading?".

I am all about making eye contact and acknowledging people on the street. I go out of my way to hold doors for people, to wave when I'm let into traffic, and to thank waiters and checkout people and the like. I think little things like that, i.e., recognizing other's humanity, is very important. That said, I didn't like sharing information about where I was going at all. I'm not sure why, because I generally enjoy the greater degree of human to human interaction that happens here (compared to the east coast).

Regarding the question asked by the OP, I couldn't be "gladder". Ask me again in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland