Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I've been to Detoit many times. This summer I visited Portland, and yeah you would definatly like it better. Look at pictures of the gorge and the mount hood area.

yeah, detroit... at least i know it cant get any worse than this LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 PM

77 posts, read 464,471 times
when you stand on Mt. Tabor and look toward the west all you see are trees, and downtown P'land of course. Lots of parks in town and not far to get to the real thing, national forests and mountains ... in short, nature out here is on a much grander scale than the Midwest, although the UP is nice, been to the Porkies a few times. But it's all like the Porkies out here.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Well said, Tcv41. - Just newcomers keep in mind, we do pay for all that greenery/trees/etc. Takes a heck of a lot of water to keep all that up. I know I think its worth it, and obviously so do a whole lot of other people (Oregon sure as heck isnt exactly deserted. hehe) I actually like it, walking through the forest during a light mist, or the incredible sight of fog wisping through the trees. - I live along the coast, and when youre driving up 101, between Florence and Yachats, its incredible and breathtaking all the time, but when you can see the fogbank, looking like a truly solid wall and appearing like you could literally chip away at it, its really kinda neat. The fog can be winding through the trees and make parks of the forest totally disappear, and yet 1 tree away, clear as a bell. Lots of variaty in our rain and fog here. And just think of how much better the air quality is with all these trees. Life is good.
Tiff

Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
i know exactly what you mean, tiff- about liking that sort of weather.

i seriously think i'm crazy- i live for rainy days! the rain, the clouds, the fog- it puts some sort of energy into the air. i think its beautiful. especially the smell of a mist and fog coming off lake michigan. i love the way rain makes everything look so much greener- the leaves, the grass. i love the smell of a rainy forest- damp and musty and muddy. i love going for walks in the rain, when everyone else is hiding away. i've always wondered what they are so afraid of- getting a little wet!?

i'm just sad that you guys don't get many thunderstorms out there. i love thunderstorms. and snow. ooooh i'm aching just thinking about it. but it will be a new experience.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
well, we get a few good ones along the coast here. I ADORE lightning/thunder storms and my all time fav. was one i saw in Idaho. Until I saw lightening over the ocean. WOW. Ive only seen it once, but oh wow.
We had a few storms last year that lit up the sky and threw those jagged arches all over. And the thunder does get loud enough to rattle the windows pretty good.
Tiff

Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM

73 posts, read 231,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I really hope someone can help me on this...

So, I have done research upon research about Portland and Oregon in general. I have learned about the good and the bad, the arguments, the neighborhoods, the people, the politics, the economy, even the salmon berries... and after considering all of the pros and cons, I have decided that yes, Oregon is still definitely my place! I am in love with it and can't wait to move.

However, one question remains: I want to move to Portland, but what if it is too urban for me? Should I move to Eugene or some smaller Oregon town instead?

You see, I am from the upper peninsula of Michigan (called the "U.P."). It is about the size of Denmark yet the population is only about 300,000. I grew up in the middle of the woods, surrounded by lakes that feel like oceans, great people, no traffic lights... I had to drive 40 miles to get to a movie theater, there were 47 people in my graduating class.

I am in the suburbs of Detroit now, and ever since I moved here 2 years ago for school I have been miserable, depressed. It's forced me to quit school. I have no life here. My life is a mess. To make a long, long story short, I've figured out what it is that I need the most in order for to be happy somewhere:

the woods.

This weekend, I found a "park" about a mile from me that was rather hidden- not too big (google maps says its about a 1,000ft x 1,000ft square). It wasn't a park in the sense that it had a baseball field and swingset and benches, no- it just had woods, and trails in it. I was home! I walked way off the path, my recent edition of Poetry Magazine tucked underneath my arm, and sat down by a giant tree to read for about 2 or 3 hours. No one came near except the birds and the squirrels.

I felt at peace.

I didn't have to drive through crazy traffic to get there. I wasn't surrounded by hundreds of people all trying to escape like I was. It was a small square of home in metro Detroit. And it made all the difference in the world.

Now, why not move back to the U.P. you ask? I'm moving because I'm looking for a place that, unlike my home, has culture, progressive people, art, music, and tons to do... but also, unlike Detroit Suburbia, has nature, solitude, beauty, and a small town feel. I think I hate suburbia. There is nothing to do here- it lacks all of those things: nature and culture.

I know Portland has a small-town feel, and I do love many things about the city life... but I need to live near a place where I can hike in the woods, walk by the water, and find some peace/solitude on a daily basis. Even if that means I'm poor. I don't care. IT IS MY TOP PRIORITY.

I understand that Forest Park is huge. But it sounds too expensive to live near it (I'm young, and just starting out in my career). Someone also told me to bring my mace if I go! What!? Is it unsafe? Will I have to endure horrible traffic just to get to Forest Park? If so, count me out. But, I also know that there are lots of other parks around Portland. Are they full of trails? Easy to get to? Crowded? On google earth I see trees all along the Willamette River... can you walk in there?

So, having said all that, what do you think: Portland or some smaller town?

Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help! And thanks for listening to by long-winded ramblings.
I found your question interesting. Having grown up in Southern California, anything seemed better than that. For 5 years I lived in Portland "proper". A year ago I moved 20 miles east and now cannot imagine living back in Portland though I could get used to it. Portland is a wonderful, laid back green city but I love the space and quiet of the rolling fields of east county. I hope to stay here as long as I can. When I go into Portland I immediately feel the tenseness and rushing of city dwellers and it reminds me of California. When I get within 2-3 miles of my home, I start breating easier.

Yeah, a real nature girl. Always wanted to live in or near cities when I was younger for various reasons, but the country life can't be beat. I live 30 mins. from a wonderful city and get to enjoy nature and the Mt. Hood view every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland