Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I assume Macadam must have been one of, if not the earliest ‘paved’ road in the area. Does anyone know what the street was named prior to it being “Macamaized”?
I don't believe it was named. It was built in 1863, and roads were more just "described" at that point. It led to the Milwaukie ferry.

And to tie it back to more of this thread ... Cicero Hunt Lewis was one of the proprietors of the road (Henry Corbett being the main one). He married another of the Couch daughters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM

198 posts, read 400,194 times
Glee sun (We slur.... Mc Cad um)

Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sure your "number" of years trumps my lifetime. Which were filled with actual study of the area, the city, and the people who lived in the place where my family first arrived in 1849.
umm, I said most, not all. I am sure you know a tremendous amount of information on Portland's history, and it is cool that you can brag about having family here that dates back several generations.

But that doesn't mean you are the only people to know a lot about the city's history, nor does your vast knowledge of the city's history mean that everyone that was born and raised in Portland has that equal amount of knowledge because that is something that has to be learned, even if you have lived here your entire life.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM

It does, however, mean that I know the correct pronunciation of the streets. And it does mean that I (and anyone else who grew up here) studied Oregon history all through school, not just as an adult.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
It does, however, mean that I know the correct pronunciation of the streets. And it does mean that I (and anyone else who grew up here) studied Oregon history all through school, not just as an adult.
Um, okay. That is good that you have studied you own state and city's history. I never said you didn't. But that still doesn't change the fact that if someone asks me how to get to "couch" I will give them directions and probably not bother correcting them unless maybe I am at work.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Um, okay. That is good that you have studied you own state and city's history. I never said you didn't. But that still doesn't change the fact that if someone asks me how to get to "couch" I will give them directions and probably not bother correcting them unless maybe I am at work.
Um, I think you've established that fact in the dozen or so posts you've made in this thread saying the same thing. Well done, you.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Um, I think you've established that fact in the dozen or so posts you've made in this thread saying the same thing. Well done, you.
As have you, so I assumed you must of forgotten what I said...either that or Captain Couch is really important to you. Either way, I don't really care that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland