Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
I've literally never heard this about any other cities than Portland and Seattle. The PNW has a very strong regional culture that doesn't suit everyone, but it is so isolated and insular here that inside the area, people think this is just the way things are, and outside the area - well before the TV show Portlandia, NOBODY HAD ANY FREAKING CLUE.

An introvert moves to the South, she is prepared for neighbors in her business. A conservative moves to SF, he is prepared for public sex festivals viewable from his commute. Somebody who's afraid of bears moves to Juneau, well they probably should not do that.

But for the past 25 years there has been mad hype about Seattle and Portland being normal American cities and THEY ARE NOT. They suit some people. Weird, Viking-descended, very very pale people, but you all really like how you are and that's fine, it's a big world and there's room for lots of different kinds of people. But this Californian would NEVER have moved to this part of the world if I had only known.
Portland's wierdness and nerdy like atmosphere us one of the main things I have always lived about this city, but it definitely doesn't fit everyone.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
I've literally never heard this about any other cities than Portland and Seattle. The PNW has a very strong regional culture that doesn't suit everyone, but it is so isolated and insular here that inside the area, people think this is just the way things are, and outside the area - well before the TV show Portlandia, NOBODY HAD ANY FREAKING CLUE.

An introvert moves to the South, she is prepared for neighbors in her business. A conservative moves to SF, he is prepared for public sex festivals viewable from his commute. Somebody who's afraid of bears moves to Juneau, well they probably should not do that.

But for the past 25 years there has been mad hype about Seattle and Portland being normal American cities and THEY ARE NOT. They suit some people. Weird, Viking-descended, very very pale people, but you all really like how you are and that's fine, it's a big world and there's room for lots of different kinds of people. But this Californian would NEVER have moved to this part of the world if I had only known.
"Portlandia" shows a made-up exagerated city that does not in any way describe the ENTIRE city any more than "Grimm" does when it shows monsters in the woods.

Anyone who would think so is very naive.

I am not viking-descended. I know of no one who is and I have known lots of people here. I admit to being pale but that's Midwestern Eastern European-descendent pale.

There are lots of different kinds of people right here. Portland and Seattle do not consist of only one type or age. To say everyone is just the same means you don't get out much.

I don't know how long you have lived in the PNW. You mention a "mad hype" in the last 25 years. Well, I have lived here for the last 33 and I don't beleive the hype began until maybe 10 years ago. And then it was mostly people from other places looking for greener grass. And Portland and Seattle do have a lot of grass.

And it's HYPE. Not real. Get it?

And the other regional stereotypes you mention are also just that; stereotypes.

The next time you move to a new city, visit there first a few times. Check out all the neighborhoods. Talk to all different types of people. You may just get a better idea of what you are getting into.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 AM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Portland's wierdness and nerdy like atmosphere us one of the main things I have always lived about this city, but it definitely doesn't fit everyone.
I too am in love with its nerdiness, indeed a very intellectual place... unlike CA.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I don't know how long you have lived in the PNW. You mention a "mad hype" in the last 25 years. Well, I have lived here for the last 33 and I don't beleive the hype began until maybe 10 years ago. And then it was mostly people from other places looking for greener grass. And Portland and Seattle do have a lot of grass.
I think it at least started 20 years ago in the early nineties with the national popularity of the grunge music movement. I know that that definitely put Seattle on a lot of young Americans radars.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
You bring up a great point! I think the hype was beneficial to Seattle though, because it produced some really awesome music for a time and helped put Seattle on the map. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana... all kick ***** bands. Nowadays the music I hear is toothless garbage made by pretend musicians. Take "Arcade Fire" or "The Black Keys" for example. I feel like I'm being stabbed in the ears repeatedly with a rusty screwdriver when I hear that "music." It's like "look guys, we can play a bunch of random instruments! We must be musicians now, because droves of people like it!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM

122 posts, read 318,293 times
Look angry palefaces, all I am saying is there are real differences about the PNW that are not generally known. It's different here, just like it is different everywhere else. And those differences do not suit everyone.

Portlandia is funny cause it's true. It's an exaggeration because it's TV, but you couldn't take those same sketches, change a couple of regional details, and call the show Atlantia or Oaklandia anymore than you could set Deliverance in Chicago. It's making fun of real things about the PNW.

As for people who make illconsidered moves, obviously it's always best if people try before they buy but have some compassion. (I know that's really really hard for people in the PNW but stretch yourself.) Sometimes people make hasty decisions, take what seems to be a dream job, or follow a lover. Like I said, you make those moves to another part of the US, you're much more prepared for what you're going to find. The public face, the stereotypes, are closer to reality. There is no public face of the PNW. People have no idea.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
the pacific north west is a good place to be if you like edm

Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

122 posts, read 318,293 times
Yeah that's obvious.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM

63 posts, read 124,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Nowadays the music I hear is toothless garbage made by pretend musicians. Take "Arcade Fire" or "The Black Keys" for example. I feel like I'm being stabbed in the ears repeatedly with a rusty screwdriver when I hear that "music." It's like "look guys, we can play a bunch of random instruments! We must be musicians now, because droves of people like it!
I'm not sure if I've ever heard that of The Black Keys. I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of their most recent album, but Dan Auerbach is a musical genius and I think you should check out some of his older music such as his album "Chulahoma", among others. Chulahoma was covers of Junior Kimbrough's music, and it's not just "a bunch of random instruments".

That being said, I still need to see this city. Sorry for getting off topic, but I've always been disappointed when trusting other people's opinions on certain things, and wouldn't do that when moving to a place for sure, and will keep in mind that if I ever take a visit to Portland (among other places), I'll plan an extended stay if possible.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
You bring up a great point! I think the hype was beneficial to Seattle though, because it produced some really awesome music for a time and helped put Seattle on the map. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana... all kick ***** bands. Nowadays the music I hear is toothless garbage made by pretend musicians. Take "Arcade Fire" or "The Black Keys" for example. I feel like I'm being stabbed in the ears repeatedly with a rusty screwdriver when I hear that "music." It's like "look guys, we can play a bunch of random instruments! We must be musicians now, because droves of people like it!
I actually like both of those bands...and you do know Black Keys and Arcade Fire are not from the Northwest...not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland