Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM

501 posts, read 1,192,399 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to relocate to Portland, or nearby areas, from Northern Virginia (job related). I'm not sure about the availability of coming to the area to look around prior to our relocation.

Is it possible to find a NON apartment rental (single family home, townhome, etc. with 2-3 bedrooms) for around $800-$1000/month? Definitely looking at a rental. Not interested in buying a home. Hubby is a flight attendant, I am a full time homemaker. He would be commuting to/from PDX to SFO on a weekly basis, so the commute to PIA wouldn't be an issue. His current commute to get to Dulles Airport is about an hour.

How affordable are utilities such as electric, water, gas?

What areas are safe to reside in? Should one area be considered over another?

How affordable is car insurance? We are in our late 40's, early 50's, and both have clean driving records, and own a 2003 Dodge, currently with full coverage.

Kids are grown...no concerns about schools. We also do not have any pets.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
That's going to be a tough find. Most of the places that have homes for rent in that price range are probably not places you will want to live. You might get lucky looking in Montavilla, Lents, or Foster-Powell neighborhoods (they will also be nice for his work as they are right on 205, which will get him to the airport in 15 mins). But that is a pretty low price point unless you want to live in Gresham.
Across the river in Washington may be a better place to look in that price range.

Almost all areas in Portland are pretty safe, even if some look kind of run down in spots.

I think car insurance is quite high here. I know my premiums on my beater car jumped a lot when we moved here from CO.

Utilities are kind of a wash, water is much higher, but gas and electric are in general lower. That said, if you can I would definitely try to seek out a rental that included water in the price.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
They might also look in the Vancouver-Camas, house rents are likely lower. Vancouver has it's own forum.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions. How is traffic coming from WA? We hadn't considered WA.
That is why we live so far from Dulles....lower rent, and the area is beautiful.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM

The interstate bridge nearest PDX is on I-205. I don't drive it but from all reports it flows smoothly. Along I-205 vehicles probably back up at the intersection of I-84 during rush hours.

One day the interstate bridge at I-5 will be rebuilt which will shift traffic to I-205 and both bridges will have a toll. To say that progress on this project has been slow is putting it mildly. At the rate this is progressing you are safe for several years, and since your spouse doesn't need to cross the river daily it shouldn't be a budget buster. If anything that will suppress housing costs on the WA side because OR is where most employment is located.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM

107 posts, read 278,522 times
A townhouse or condo (2BR) is doable for $1000, but I doubt you will find a single family home for rent at that price. I personally would hate to commute from WA every day, but a lot of people do it. Its possible you could spend an extra $100/month in gas sitting in rush hour traffic every day.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM

The commute to PDX is weekly, not daily, and I am unaware that there are backups on the I-205 interstate bridge. The I-5 bridge traffic is awful, so if that is what HiggsBosun is referencing he is spot on.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM

107 posts, read 278,522 times
woops! I missed that part, once a week would be a lot more bearable. As far as safe areas I always point people to crimemapper: CrimeMapper

my advice, find some places on craigslist that look appealing and put the address into crimemapper. This gives you actual crime data to look at as opposed to people subjective opinion about what are "dangerous" areas. Portland has some not so nice areas, but overall I've never been anywhere that I felt unsafe. The Parkrose area in NE Portland might also be something to consider.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
I personally would hate to commute from WA every day, but a lot of people do it. Its possible you could spend an extra $100/month in gas sitting in rush hour traffic every day.
Plus, I'm assuming he would probably be going to airport at odder hours.

I agree that they could have a very short commute over the 205.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM

THanks everyone for the advice and the crimemapper.

Can you shed some light on utilities and/or vehicle insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: