Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM

264 posts, read 907,948 times

Advertisements

Can you locals comment on the beatings of whites making the national news ?
Overblown ? A real issue ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM

132 posts, read 324,108 times
what national news source is reporting this?

i haven't really heard anything about it.

other than this: Flash mob hits another Portland store | OregonLive.com

but i don't know that it's an "issue".

Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Can you locals comment on the beatings of whites making the national news ?
Overblown ? A real issue ?
Why not post some links so we can tell what is concerning you? I haven't heard of any beatings making national news.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,184,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Why not post some links so we can tell what is concerning you? I haven't heard of any beatings making national news.
He's probably referring to these.

The original Youtube video, which was taken down, apparently because of the language used by the people cheering on the beating, went viral. You can see a little bit of it here:
Four arrested in connection with MAX beating - KPTV - FOX 12

This was reported by most of the local news sources and was picked up nationally:
Two teens held after man assaulted on MAX train

I don't think there were any beatings in the flash-robs.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,627 times
I was thinking the same thing... not a troll, but a question brought on to see how PDX stacks up against the rest of the nation.

Personally? Yeah, it's a big town. You're gonna see some crime. Any situation where that many people live in that close a proximity almost guarantees it. On the other hand, compared to other cities with similar densities? PDX does pretty good.

As far as the racial aspect? I don't think you're going to see as much racially-motivated crime up here... mostly because the population is whiter than a sheet.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Since these are only two issues that made the national news, I don't think it exactly indicates a crime wave. Portland will have its share as any other town of its size. I am not overly concerned about it.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
I think the question may have been a sincere one, but the trollishness comes in the misrepresentation in the question. If it's the MAX incident ... sounds like there was one victim. So why is the question asked in the plural? And most of all, what does the race of anyone have to do with it?

And incidentally, neither of those news articles mention the race of the victim.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM

64 posts, read 77,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
I was thinking the same thing... not a troll, but a question brought on to see how PDX stacks up against the rest of the nation.

Personally? Yeah, it's a big town. You're gonna see some crime. Any situation where that many people live in that close a proximity almost guarantees it. On the other hand, compared to other cities with similar densities? PDX does pretty good.

As far as the racial aspect? I don't think you're going to see as much racially-motivated crime up here... mostly because the population is whiter than a sheet.
I think what you meant to say is that since this area is mostly white or at least in control or CA indoctrination has not hit the area politically like with hispanics and blacks in power and what not, that non whites tend to think twice and moreso since they are on the cops bad side or if they see whites are being nice to them here, they still see the racism and they see who clearly runs the shop or establishments they go to. It doesn't matter. I say lets all be outwardly racist and get our true feelings out there. The sooner the better. If you don't like something thats rather disturbing, give the look of death at least. The whites being too nice is still not doing a lot.. blacks and mestizos see racism no matter what, its just more under the table here.. thats what I notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland