Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 AM

53 posts, read 213,766 times

Advertisements

Well it's official, after spending the past 3 months living here I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is that makes Portland spoken of so highly by it's residents.

And I've come to a conclusion... it's overrated! for ALL I've heard about how safe it is and how it's one of the safest cities in the United States. Man oh man was whoever said that wrong. Ever since I've been here all I heard about is people disappearing, rape, theft, assault. Especially in the Northeast and Southeast

I mean let's be honest. It rains all the time and as a matter of fact I heard you guys only get a few weeks of actual summer time if that lol. And yes I know rain is part of the "life" but as for me, I like my skies with a bit of blue thanks. 9 months of rainy season? forget that!

The public transit system is a joke. If you aren't downtown you can forget about decent service.

It's severely lacking of diversity, not only does it have a history of the KKK. Everybody I spoke to said it's a bit of a hick town and to be honest I can sorta see why. What culture does it have? what culture do they associate with Portland? other than rain? I'm Samoan and it's very clear I'm out of place with the lack of diversity. It is after all "One of the whitest big cities in the nation"

The stupid hate on Californians, let it go! whatever the housing cost grudges were over or however that feud started. It's time to move on. Are they jealous of California? they say when you fail in California you get sentenced to Portland. Maybe that is why?

The whole smug factor "'I'm so much more open-minded than you are, which is why I don't listen to a thing you say." I've encountered alot of that

The phony sense of kindness. Sure by all means people are cool to ask a question to if you get lost. It's very anti social here it seems like though, people seem very afraid to step outside their safe little bubble

The hipster culture, those who think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. With the overly arrogant attitude in coffee shops. It's everywhere sure but a much higher concentration in Portland

Downtown is a total bore, as are alot of surrounding areas. What exactly do people do for fun?

To top it all off? you can't even pump your own gas!

Now you're probably asking yourselves why I decided to move here right? I was lied too. I was told it was a completely different story. A "friend" of mine told me all these great things and made it seem opposite. When I visited for a bit it seemed pretty decent. I guess some things you can only pick up on by living some place though huh?

In just 2 months. I'm LEAVING Portland. I couldn't be happier! I'm going back to my friends! my family! in the BAY area! Where we have culture, decent weather, entertainment, variety in things to do! GOOD public transportation and driving!

Feel free and take the obligatory shot towards California now because I have insulted your town. Just know that the main reason you guys hate. Is because you never were as good as Cali, never could have been, and never will be. So thank you Portland! for giving me life experience! it sucked sure, but hey I got to see a different part of the world for a bit! because while Portland may suck, where I come from? is Awesome!!!

So sayonara, arrivederci,see ya later, bye! peace out! Portland! and all the lil jimmies who say it's utopia!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:43 AM

358 posts, read 470,685 times
I could care less what you insult. Live your life...no need to spread hate.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 AM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I hope that Portlanders reading this will not judge all Californians by this guy's sour attitude. My husband is a native, so I've spent a lot of time in Portland. I fell in love with your city from the first time I laid eyes on it, and 30 years later I still think it's an amazing city. I would live there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family and roots in the Bay Area.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM

53 posts, read 213,766 times
And one other thing! 99% of the time, your weather predictions are wrong here too!

I'm not hating, I'm spreading the truth. No need to be afraid.

I'm not sour neither, very elated at leaving!!! 8)

Old 12-30-2011, 01:52 AM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I doubt if a truly elated person could be bothered to write a post like that. To me you come across as snarky. People with that kind of attitude can't be happy anywhere. All I can say is that I hope you've done your research before moving so that three months later you won't be posting a similar rant in another forum about how overrated your new city is.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:30 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
You want overrated try SF. At least Portland gets rain to wash
away the urine

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Default In the eye of the beholder

Portland is "hyped" I wouldn't call it overrated. A twenty something that works 40 hours or less and has enough income to live comfortably should enjoy the town. Outdoor activities abound in the Portland metro area. I really enjoyed my time as a young person hiking and camping in Oregon. There is the local micro-brew scene and the associated social trimmings. The weather is what it is. Plan for rain enjoy anything else you get. I've been to the Bay area. Nice, but unless I had a dump truck load of cash I would stay in Oregon.

My only gripe is the weak economy. I always felt like I was waiting for the rest of the nation to heat up the economy so we would get the spill over in Oregon. Still miss my friends and family and all the green outdoors. Always just a few hours away by air.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
And who elected you the authority on what places deserve praise? I may never get to live in Portland. But I have visited enough to appreciate why the natives love their city,
just as I feel that way about my home, for better or worse, Los Angeles. But I love and admire Portland and its people too. So how dare you profane the land that gave birth to them!

Last edited by Mr. Opinionated; 12-30-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 AM

198 posts, read 400,006 times
People do love to justify their actions. It isn't necessary really.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
Were you the kid stuck out in Lake Oswego?

Honestly, I felt the same way you did, after ending a one-year stint in Winnipeg, Canada. There, it gets down to minus 40 in the winter, basements are often flooded in the spring, there's a terrible concentration of biting mosquitoes in the summer, and fall is party season for wasps. The city has the highest concentration of fetal alcohol syndrome in North America, and is one of the highest-crime cities in Canada (granted, that's not saying much). Most of the city is a sprawling discount strip mall hell, there is no streetcar or subway, there's a 12% sales tax and prices are probably double what they are in Portland. There are no pediatric cardiology services in the whole province because a doctor accidentally killed 12 kids in the 90's, so they did away with the service.

Still, Winnipeg has a ton of passionate defenders; the city just got its hockey team back. In the end, it's all about what makes you happy. But if you really want some perspective (which I suspect you might gain when you get older), go live somewhere truly awful!

Last edited by turquoise1; 12-30-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland