U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,598 times

Advertisements

i've been doing a lot of research about portland oregon for the past few months trying to decide if i want to up and move there. my husband and i are a young newlywed couple, and both of us are cosmetologists. he previously lived in portland for about 8 months until he came back to california. (yes i know oregonians aren't fond of californians) he absolutely loved it there. i on the otherhand, am not completely sold. so i have a few questions since i've never been.

1. i'm aware that the weather is cold and rainy, coming from someone who has lived in 75 degree weather my entire life and having a hard time adjusting to the 50 degree winters. do you think it would be easy for me to adapt to the weather change or that i would just freeze the entire time i live there? no sun is fine with me and i dont care about grey skies.

2. being a cosmetologist would it be easy for me and my husband to find work? we're also considering opening a salon sometime in the future, would this be a good place to do it?

3. i heard property tax is extremely high. we wouldn't be buying a house right away, but if we were to, what would be an estimated price for a decent four bedroom house?

keep in mind we are moving from calfornia because of the expenses here, we are not rich by any means. we are both a little under 21, so we're just starting out. we just want a little bit slower pace of life, be able to raise children, live in a safe place, and not pay $600,000 for a crappy house.

thank you very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM

10,881 posts, read 18,741,180 times
According to my hair cutter the economy hasn't been kind to her profession. Most rent a chair in a salon, set their own prices. I suggest you call salons and ask about usual and customary $.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,047,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbussard View Post
i've been doing a lot of research about portland oregon for the past few months trying to decide if i want to up and move there. my husband and i are a young newlywed couple, and both of us are cosmetologists. he previously lived in portland for about 8 months until he came back to california. (yes i know oregonians aren't fond of californians) he absolutely loved it there. i on the otherhand, am not completely sold. so i have a few questions since i've never been.

1. i'm aware that the weather is cold and rainy, coming from someone who has lived in 75 degree weather my entire life and having a hard time adjusting to the 50 degree winters. do you think it would be easy for me to adapt to the weather change or that i would just freeze the entire time i live there? no sun is fine with me and i dont care about grey skies.

If 50 degree winters are difficult for you, Portland winters would not be easy for you. It is more around upper 30's and low 40's. 50's do happen but not too often as a rule.

2. being a cosmetologist would it be easy for me and my husband to find work? we're also considering opening a salon sometime in the future, would this be a good place to do it?

I can't say for sure but I have seen many more salons close than open in the past couple of years. My neighborhood alone in SE Portland has had three go under during this time. But there are some that have been here for a long time and appear to be doing well.

3. i heard property tax is extremely high. we wouldn't be buying a house right away, but if we were to, what would be an estimated price for a decent four bedroom house?

I think that would depend upon city or suburb. You could pay $600,000 for a very nice house but that would depend upon where the house was; city or suburbs. For a four bedroom house in the city with good schools, you would possibly have to pay that much. I don't know if that is the norm but I have seen larger houses like that go for that price in my city neighborhood which is considered a nice one. I think you might want to contact relators for that kind of information or look at housing listings online.

keep in mind we are moving from calfornia because of the expenses here, we are not rich by any means. we are both a little under 21, so we're just starting out. we just want a little bit slower pace of life, be able to raise children, live in a safe place, and not pay $600,000 for a crappy house.

thank you very much.
You can do some checking by googling Portland Neighborhoods and by contacting various cosmetology shops and possibly schools to determine what the picture is. We have Dosha and the larger department stores have cosmetic counters as an alternative to beauty shops.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,509,654 times
I know about a dozen young ladies who've all studied at the Aveda school in the Pearl who have gone into modeling to make ends meet.

If you have makeup experience, you may want to look into setting your self up as a makeup artist on ModelMayhem, doing a few shoots for free to build up your profile and then get some work from there. If you go that route, let me know, I'd be willing to invite you to a few shoots to get your portfolio built up.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM

343 posts, read 649,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
According to my hair cutter the economy hasn't been kind to her profession. Most rent a chair in a salon, set their own prices. I suggest you call salons and ask about usual and customary $.
Your hair cutter's right. Cosmetology school is also terribly expensive, I believe $30k+. When my mom went it was less than 1/10 that through our local ROP. She's been in the business for almost 20 years now, and her hours and pay have been cut many times. All the while prices are going up on commodities so she's having problems making ends meet. We live in the Bay Area so things are obviously different from Portland, but Oregon's employment situation is bleak ATM.

I would also suggest renting a chair. Try it out and see how it goes. You guys are still very young so you have a lot of time to work on your goals. Most recent layoffs don't have that luxury. My best advice: use your time wisely, work hard and save your money wherever you can. You will rely A LOT on tips. You'll find many people don't tip worth squat (often nothing), some are very generous, while others are average tippers. If you guys are successful and save up enough, you can lease a small space to open up shop.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,719,201 times
Also, keep in mind that Portland isn't exactly known for it's "beautiful" people.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
as bad as it sounds we here in oregon do not want californians here. they are not welcome and we just plain dont want you to move here. we have tried to make that clear in the last 45 years or so but californians just dont get it or don't believe it. please don't move to oregon, washington, or idaho. the northwest dosent want you here!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,047,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthefrog51 View Post
as bad as it sounds we here in oregon do not want californians here. they are not welcome and we just plain dont want you to move here. we have tried to make that clear in the last 45 years or so but californians just dont get it or don't believe it. please don't move to oregon, washington, or idaho. the northwest dosent want you here!

Speak for yourself buddy. We are not all that hateful.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 20,449 times
I think that you can sort of convince yourself that the weather is okay for the first couple of years. After that, if you've known better weather in your life and living elsewhere then you'll go crazy after a while. I appreciate the people of Portland a lot because they're pretty genuine for sure. If you have a good personality, then you can make it here pretty easily if you try hard enough.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM

343 posts, read 649,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthefrog51 View Post
I have a better idea: why don't you leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland