Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

In April I am going to be traveling with a group of four from Vancouver. We are taking a rental car from Vancouver and I am curious to know if we should keep it for the weekend or just turn it in when we get there to save some money. I am not sure where we are staying but we are there for a Portland Timbers game so we will be staying somewhere near Jeld-Wen Field.

Also, we will not have a ton of time for sight seeing but is there anything that we should absolutely see. None of us have been to Portland before and not sure when we will be back, if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Vancouver BC or Washington?

Depending on what company you're renting from, the mileage may be your real killer, or the one way fees. Enterprise is free mileage for instance, but their one way fee is another ~30% over the daily fee.

I'd keep the car as one of the things you really want to see is going to be the Columbia Gorge, which will need a car.

Also, there aren't many hotels near Jen-Weld field, you'll be able to stay in downtown easy enough as you're only talking about ten to fifteen blocks. If money is a concern, you might save money by staying outside of downtown (and the nicer hotels,) and driving or taking MAX to the game.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
How are you going to get back to Vancouver? It would likely be cheaper to get a weekend car rental and keep it the whole time than to get two one-way rentals.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Vancouver BC or Washington?
BC

Quote:
Depending on what company you're renting from, the mileage may be your real killer, or the one way fees. Enterprise is free mileage for instance, but their one way fee is another ~30% over the daily fee.

I'd keep the car as one of the things you really want to see is going to be the Columbia Gorge, which will need a car.

Also, there aren't many hotels near Jen-Weld field, you'll be able to stay in downtown easy enough as you're only talking about ten to fifteen blocks. If money is a concern, you might save money by staying outside of downtown (and the nicer hotels,) and driving or taking MAX to the game.
To drive from Vancouver BC to Portland, it is like $220 a day plus $60 in fees. But, if we can find a way to get to Bellingham, WA and get a car there, we can get a car for $200 to have from Friday morning to Sunday morning. If we can find a cheap and easy way to get to Bellingham, WA we will do the second option.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
How are you going to get back to Vancouver? It would likely be cheaper to get a weekend car rental and keep it the whole time than to get two one-way rentals.
We are from Kansas City, we arent returning to Vancouver, we are going home on Sunday.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,898 times
Look into Amtrak. Depending on the number of people, it may be cheaper or close to the same cost and there's no line at the border.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Look into Amtrak. Depending on the number of people, it may be cheaper or close to the same cost and there's no line at the border.
Amtrack from Vancouver to Bellingham? We want to drive to Portland because we have never been in the area and want to be able to stop in Seattle and wherever else to check things out.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
BC

To drive from Vancouver BC to Portland, it is like $220 a day plus $60 in fees. But, if we can find a way to get to Bellingham, WA and get a car there, we can get a car for $200 to have from Friday morning to Sunday morning. If we can find a cheap and easy way to get to Bellingham, WA we will do the second option.
Amtrak does go between Vancouver and Bellingham. Looks like the fare is $12., and leaves Vancouver at 5:45 pm ... and takes 2 hours to Bellingham. Or, there's a shuttle service. It's more expensive ($28) but goes more often.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:

What rental cars charge mileage fees? I have never been charged a mileage fee anytime I have rented a car and all the quotes I have gotten have said unlimited mileage.

We got a hotel a 1/4 mile from Jen-Weld. I dont recall which one it is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Amtrak does go between Vancouver and Bellingham. Looks like the fare is $12., and leaves Vancouver at 5:45 pm ... and takes 2 hours to Bellingham. Or, there's a shuttle service. It's more expensive ($28) but goes more often.
Unfortunately, we are wanting to leave Vancouver around 9AM or even earlier so that isnt an option.

I think taking a cab to Bellingham and then picking up a rental car there is the best way to go.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What rental cars charge mileage fees? I have never been charged a mileage fee anytime I have rented a car and all the quotes I have gotten have said unlimited mileage.

We got a hotel a 1/4 mile from Jen-Weld. I dont recall which one it is though.

Unfortunately, we are wanting to leave Vancouver around 9AM or even earlier so that isnt an option.

I think taking a cab to Bellingham and then picking up a rental car there is the best way to go.
There's a train that departs from Vancouver BC at 6:45 am on Friday mornings and gets to Bellingham at 8:45 am. I'd think that a cab to Bellingham might be pretty expensive.

Alternatively there's the option of just taking the train all the way to Portland from Vancouver BC(unless you wanted to see something on the way down). If you wanted to see something further out around Portland(Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, the Coast) for a day, you could just rent a car for the day downtown--pretty cheap usually and you could just drop it off at the airport. It might be a better deal for 4 people though to rent a car compared to the cost of a train ticket all the way to Portland. But if you're staying near downtown and just want to see stuff around the central part of Portland(Washington Park and the Japanese Garden, Powell's Books, Crystal Ballroom, the Pearl District, downtown restaurants and bars, Chinese Garden, etc) it's actually easier to get around without a car.

Timbers games are a whole lot of fun at Jeld-Wen and I'm sure you guys will be treated well as KC fans... The Timbers Army is pretty passionate bunch, but except for games against the Sounders, it's usually pretty respectful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland