Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

128 posts, read 220,674 times

Advertisements

Someone asked me to post my thoughts on this place so here goes...

Its very pretty....saw Mt Hood for the first time today as the sun came out...is so magnificent and kinda spooky....the weather is fun...u get something new every day...froze over last night but is sunny and breezy today.....the forcast is not ever correct as many say....people have been cool...but don't let anyone say there is no diversity as I see a nice mix of everyone.

The thing I am most dissapointed in is the traffic. U best not try to go anywhere between 4 and 6...its just rush hour...and I'm not talking the freeway...just any street around here.

That is really my only gripe. Otherwise its super neat with just trees everywhere and open undeveloped areas aplenty. We got a cool place in an apt complex...pretty fair price. I won't say cheap. We could have found something less pricy but this place is pretty cool...right next to a giant nature center.

Tho as many posters have said the weather is not for the faint of heart or for women who like to put a lot of energy into hair...lol...seems down to earth would work best as its wet and cold and foggy a lot. Not conducive to fancy hair styles.

Well it is winter I guess but from what I have read its winter a lot here.lol so that is my first impression. Over all I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
You either get used to the traffic, or you learn the short cuts to bypass it

Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You either get used to the traffic, or you learn the short cuts to bypass it
Ya I am already learning the bad streets...the ones that feed off the freeway...the view of mt hood is amazing going down tv..its right in ur path...it is such a weird site...saw pics of it but seeing it here....its like a big beautiful reminder of nature...and its power...hard to explain....been here 2 weeks first time I got to see it...love the freeze over...makes the mud and slosh go away so u can walk ur dog and such wout mud...my dog seems to love hitting the mud....but there is everything out here ...even if its a couple miles away...the drive is nice on these curvey roads....just hard not to get lost! It is soo nice out today...u gotta love these days when they r here ay?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

343 posts, read 692,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMurphy64 View Post
Someone asked me to post my thoughts on this place so here goes...

Quote:
Its very pretty....
Indeed, I would say beautiful.

Quote:
saw Mt Hood for the first time today as the sun came out...is so magnificent and kinda spooky....
I've seen Mt. Hood from the Japanese Gardens and she's beautiful, but never seen it at sunrise. Hope to try this at least once in my lifetime.

Quote:
the weather is fun...u get something new every day...froze over last night but is sunny and breezy today.....
You guys actually have weather. Cool.

Quote:
the forcast is not ever correct as many say....people have been cool...but don't let anyone say there is no diversity as I see a nice mix of everyone.
Funny thing is whenever I tell everyone how much the Bay Area sucks, they always point to its diversity. Sorry Bay Area, but you're not so unique anymore. lol

Quote:
The thing I am most dissapointed in is the traffic. U best not try to go anywhere between 4 and 6...its just rush hour...and I'm not talking the freeway...just any street around here.
I think this is true in most big cities. Here in the Bay it starts getting ugly around 2 or 3. I would consider Portland more tolerable in that department, but that's just me.

Quote:
That is really my only gripe. Otherwise its super neat with just trees everywhere and open undeveloped areas aplenty. We got a cool place in an apt complex...pretty fair price. I won't say cheap. We could have found something less pricy but this place is pretty cool...right next to a giant nature center.
I can't think of anywhere else in the country where you could go from a bustling downtown to lush, beautiful, green scenery in only 20 min. I LOVE Portland.

Quote:
Tho as many posters have said the weather is not for the faint of heart or for women who like to put a lot of energy into hair...lol...seems down to earth would work best as its wet and cold and foggy a lot. Not conducive to fancy hair styles.
The air is pretty moist, lol.

Quote:
Well it is winter I guess but from what I have read its winter a lot here.lol so that is my first impression. Over all I love it.

My favorite season after Autumn/Summer. I would love it to my heart's content. For now I can only wonder and imagine.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
the view of mt hood is amazing going down tv..its right in ur path...it is such a weird site...saw pics of it but seeing it here....its like a big beautiful reminder of nature...and its power...
The best view while commuting, is from 405S headed east. As you get over the top, on a clear day you can see Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, and Jefferson way in the distance.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The best view while commuting, is from 405S headed east. As you get over the top, on a clear day you can see Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, and Jefferson way in the distance.
Yes! Just saw this the other day.

I've been here 6 months and I still gasp every time I see Mt. Hood when I go east on Gaarde (in Tigard). It is literally breathtaking.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
I like the view of Mt. Hood from the Ross Island Bridge. It let's me know I'm almost home.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Glad you like Beaverton so far. I suspect that you'll enjoy the Farmers Market when it opens for the year in May. Have you been to the library yet?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Glad you like Beaverton so far. I suspect that you'll enjoy the Farmers Market when it opens for the year in May. Have you been to the library yet?
Havnt been to the library yet...love em tho and will visit soon we just got our stuff in order..can not wait for the farmers market...all the nice folk here...when they find out I'm new and have a moment to chat tell me how great it is ..guess u don't have to go into portland for it either....oh ya I forgot about the rainbow.....oh man was that neat...I hate to use the term where I was from...but where I was from we got rainbow streaks...or parts not full lucky charm rainbows..that ark these are straight out of the movies...crazy pretty..as I drive around I see so much green...then realize all those sticks I see (trees) will be in bloom in summer..hard to believe it gets prettier...can't wait

Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I wonder what the o.p. would have thought about last winter if she thinks this one is wet and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland