Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell, your lifestyle would definitely go up a notch assuming equal household incomes. You do get more bang for your housing buck and don't get nickeled and dimed to death nearly as much on countless other stuff in a medium-large city like Portland. That said, you'll find services, entertainment options and diversity/cultural experiences in Portland not even coming close to matching a world class city like NY. Those extras just aren't there in most any other city in the country. Once the newness wears off you'd probably start to find Portland a rather mundane place for most of the year. (It picks up a bit in the summertime with the riverfront festivals and whatnot but still...) Nobody ever thinks New York is mundane. If they did theyd probably want to check their pulse and confirm they were still alive.

It depends on what you're truely after as far as priorities go that would determine whether Portland would feel like an upgrade or a bummer. Guaranteed You'd miss more than you think about NY even if your official stance is "I'm tired of this rat race/hell hole"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
I lived in NYC right after college and loved it but concluded that I could never afford to raise a family there. Flights to San Francisco are relatively cheap, an occasional visit to NYC no big deal and you will be $$ and quality of life ahead.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 684 times
I grew up on LI and lived in Midtown (close to work at UNICEF) until I retired . First moved to Texas for 5 years... huge disappointment! Then we came to Portland's Cultural District last summer. It was like night and day, and in many ways felt like coming home! Reading this thread I realize that people tend to focus on only the material/practical issues, which of course should not be understated. However the most striking elements for someone considering moving here are the reasons we find ourselves knowing we'll stay: the atmosphere and attitude! The people are warm, friendly, inviting and inclusive. In general people are very progressive/liberal with a live-and-let-live approach to life... their own, thier friends and neighbors. Portlanders are oft described as hyper-literate and well informed. They are kind, gentle and generous, but don't tolerate fools. They care about and for the environment and are concerned not only for the beauty and health of their own space but for the collective space around us all. People are active, vibrant participants in all aspects of their lives, throughout the life span. We raised our children mostly while I was stationed abroad, so while we don't have young children at home our daughter and her husband are raising our granddaughter near Mt. Tabor in SE Portland. I feel that there are few places I prefer for her to grow up for the social reasons I've mentioned as were as the practical issues others have raised. Hope this helps... did I mention l like Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland