Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM

319 posts, read 604,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
@Isotop-C14 Here is some light reading for you:

If it's so OK and has minimal impact, why are so many groups and agencies across the Northern US interested in decreasing it's use?
Probably cost. It's not free. Money really does drive 90% of decision making.

Most of your links do not include multiple recent, peer reviewed data, in a non-biased environmental journal, like Environmental Science and Technology. To be quite honest, I don't believe everything I find on the internet (treehugger.com, really?), I know for a fact that certain pages on the wikipedia have quite wrong statements about certain instances of acid base chemistry due to first hand research on the topic, even though they site a source, that source was published outside the realm of peer review.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Even there, the critical reader has to understand *how* the data was acquired. While it is common to use something like conductivity meters (since they are cheap and *can* test on-the-spot) it is not nearly as good as using something like Ion Chromatography, where the individual ions are separated from the sample matrix, this is harder, you have to collect the sample, and how to do it is rather complex compared to sticking an electrode into a solution. Sometimes the preliminary data will not take into account complex geological issues as well, these streams don't exist in a bubble, and all kinds of unusual minerals may be present out of sight, underwater, or even flowing out some irresponsible person's 55 gallon drum behind their barn...

Not all methods due to expense, will be used for a given experiment. Most departments that deal with basic science of the environment are not well funded, and governmental organizations also have other agendas. The best one can do is hope that based on preliminary data, that better data is produced down the road. This might make one think "better safe than sorry" dealing with all chemistry, but road salt will have far less, if any long term impact, if sensible application rates are applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I don't understand why the big whoohaw in an Oregon forum over road salt we don't use in Oregon.

We don't use road Salt in Oregon and probably never will either.

I think we have it handled very well thank you very much.

What's the point in getting all upset over it?
Nobody really cares about it because:

WE DON"T USE ROAD SALT IN OREGON!!!!!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-20-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I don't understand why the big whoohaw in an Oregon forum over road salt we don't use in Oregon.

We don't use road Salt in Oregon and probably never will either.

WE DON"T USE ROAD SALT IN OREGON!!!!!
LOL! It reminds me of a comment I read by Trey Shannon that went something like this:

"If they like it so much (they want to move here), why do they want to change it?"

Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM

343 posts, read 692,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmikepdx View Post
i don't understand why the big whoohaw in an oregon forum over road salt we don't use in oregon.

we don't use road salt in oregon and probably never will either.

we don"t use road salt in oregon!!!!!
lol

Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Well, all I can say is that in my experience, snow in Portland used to be a hell of a lot better twenty or thirty years ago before all them dad gummed outsiders invaded and ruined it for everybody.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Probably cost. It's not free. Money really does drive 90% of decision making.
The generally accepted replacement (Calcium Chloride) in terms of similar effectiveness is 3x the cost.

Although it's long term environmental impacts aren't known yet either, it's thought to be neutral.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
LOL! It reminds me of a comment I read by Trey Shannon that went something like this:

"If they like it so much (they want to move here), why do they want to change it?"
I would say most people like about 95% of what Portland/Oregon has to offer, they just don't understand why the area is so insular and kind of "non-progressive" when it comes to some things, like:
1. Road Salting/Plowing
2. Pumping your own gas
3. Sales Tax
4. Studded tires

Almost no other areas of the US operate this way, so I'm definitely not surprised it's a shock to most when they find out OR is different. They're things people would never even imagine not having.

Just because people get worked up with one or two quirks in Oregon doesn't mean they hate the whole state.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I would say most people like about 95% of what Portland/Oregon has to offer, they just don't understand why the area is so insular and kind of "non-progressive" when it comes to some things, like:
1. Road Salting/Plowing
2. Pumping your own gas
3. Sales Tax
4. Studded tires

Almost no other areas of the US operate this way, so I'm definitely not surprised it's a shock to most when they find out OR is different. They're things people would never even imagine not having.

Just because people get worked up with one or two quirks in Oregon doesn't mean they hate the whole state.
Welcome to Portlandgrad comrade. Do not let the politburo construe your remarks as an attack on the current political climate. I have been chased from coffee shops for even admitting I prefer to live in Texas over Portlandgrad.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
1. Road Salting/Plowing
2. Pumping your own gas
3. Sales Tax
4. Studded tires

Never said I thought that though. I was just trying to inject some humor into the discussion. Hence the smiling emoticons.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
1. Road Salting/Plowing
2. Pumping your own gas
3. Sales Tax
4. Studded tires
Or is it so "non-progressive," that it's "progressive?"

Seriously though, I recently saw an article in another cities newspaper that was talking about how Portland's freeway system is so progressive and they were lamenting how their city didn't buck against the trend of paving everything back in the day too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland