Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times

Advertisements

Everything comes back around, doesn't it.

We were just talking the other day about how they ripped all the streets up not that long ago to get rid of the left-over trolley tracks ... that they are now ripping back up and putting back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Everything comes back around, doesn't it.

We were just talking the other day about how they ripped all the streets up not that long ago to get rid of the left-over trolley tracks ... that they are now ripping back up and putting back in.
Just imagine, if we had never ripped up the tracks in the first place, how far ahead of the game dollar wise we'd be.

I've never done the research, but have you heard the rumors of GM having bought out all of Portland's trolleys and closing them down to jump start the demand for cars?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Or is it so "non-progressive," that it's "progressive?"

Seriously though, I recently saw an article in another cities newspaper that was talking about how Portland's freeway system is so progressive and they were lamenting how their city didn't buck against the trend of paving everything back in the day too.
True, and for some things I would say Portland is an inspiration, but I think too many in this town let that go to their heads and think that EVERYTHING Pdx does is the only way.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Welcome to Portlandgrad comrade. Do not let the politburo construe your remarks as an attack on the current political climate. I have been chased from coffee shops for even admitting I prefer to live in Texas over Portlandgrad.
Self-serve gas, state sales tax, and studded tires are all statewide issues, and not specific to nor to be decided by the Portland city government.

You were what, chased from coffee shops in Houston or Portland? Yeah, that's sounds likely, those tough people in coffee shops are always violently chasing people out of them...

Not even saying I agree with a lot of the city policies of Portland, but your post sounds like baloney...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
True, and for some things I would say Portland is an inspiration, but I think too many in this town let that go to their heads and think that EVERYTHING Pdx does is the only way.
I don't think that anyone thinks the way Portland does it is the only way. Of course there are other ways to do it. What most of them are more likely to think is that Portland does it the right way.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Quote:
I don't think that anyone thinks the way Portland does it is the only way. Of course there are other ways to do it. What most of them are more likely to think is that Portland does it the right way.
For most is there really any difference?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
For most is there really any difference?
That's why I live here still.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM

56 posts, read 163,511 times
Quote:
How much more in taxes do you want to pay in order to purchase the equipment to be "ready for it" when it's usually only a few hours of snow? Isn't it better just encourage people to stay home, and wait it out.
THIS! I moved here from Lake Tahoe, where it snows up the yin yang LOL. Believe me, it is expensive to have enough plows around to deal with a city full of snow.

People always say that about towns that can't handle a little snow. But if you really think about it, it will make sense to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland