Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,076 times

Advertisements

My family might be relocating from Texas to Portland within the next year. I've never been to Oregon so we are planning a vacation there near the end of March. We will be bring our two kids with us. One will be 3 years old and the other 9 months old in March. I need to know what we can do while there to
1.) Keep 3 year old busy/happy.
2.) Get a good idea of what it is like to live in Portland.
3.) Take a look at the suburbs (which is where we would live) PS - need advice on best suburbs to live in.

Or anything else useful you could share with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM

320 posts, read 417,193 times
I don't live in Portland yet, but I also plan to visit with my husband and kids this summer. This will be my 2nd trip to Portland but my first with the little ones. A great website is oregonmom.com. It has tons of great ideas on what to see and do with kids...rain or shine. We also plan on driving around checking out different neighborhoods to live in while there. I would suggest simply reading through all the post on here from people asking the same question. We plan on checking out Beaverton, Tigard, Sherwood, and both the NW and NE areas. You can also go to greatschools.com and enter in different school districts to compare if that's important to you.

Also, just a heads up. My first trip to Portland was in March and it was nice and wet Of course that didn't stop us from enjoying the great outdoors there! Hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls in the rain was very refreshing and beautiful However I don't know if I would suggest doing that with the kids in tow. But a must see IMHO!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Grandmom of toddlers here!

For indoor fun OMSI has a wonderful science playroom Visit Museum | OMSI; the children's museum (near the Oregon Zoo) is fantastic Portland Children's Museum | Family Fun, Learning, Birthdays | Portland, OR; PlayDate PDX is a huge indoor climbing structure.

You can check this resource also: What to do around Portland with kids!

Enjoy your time with us.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 13,008 times
Default visiting with small children

We lived in Portland for 2 years and absolutely loved it. There is so much to do with kids and many activities are free or very inexpensive. Check out urbanmamas.com

Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM

jb122, there are folks who leave Cleveland and come back to Portland.

Housing may be cheap but private schools are not.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Nell Plotts, we have been in Cleveland for about 8 months and are underwhelmed. We are considering a move Asheville, NC but are tempted to just head back west!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Health care is Cleveland's primary industry these days and the Cleveland Clinic has a fantastic reputation. Cleveland schools, not so much.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Earth Mama, if you move to Portland you should consider moving to a neighborhood within the city limits. Portland has an almost European feel so you will find that amenities such as parks, libraries, markets, public transit, etc. are readily accessible and most neighborhoods are safe for families. The public schools are good, offer open enrollment, and have immersion and enrichment programs as well. The suburbs are cookie cutter, boring, any-town USA kind of places filled with big box stores, malls, chain restaurants. In many cities across the country you may feel forced to live in the suburbs due to poor schools, crime rate, and lack of amenities; not so in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland