Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 24,140 times

Advertisements

Visiting Portland for a week in March with my husband. Want to know best places to stay around the city. Was looking at hotel Monaco on SW Washington st, seems to have good reviews. Is the area good for things to do? Any other suggestions as to places to stay? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,163,024 times
The Hotel Monaco is in a great location, in the middle of downtown. Just a block away from Pioneer Courthouse Square, and the light rail. That'll give you access anywhere you're likely to want to go around town.

Downtown is very compact, and everything that there is to do there will be easy walking distance.

What kind of things are you interested in doing?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,458,590 times
Hotel Monaco is a chain. I've stayed in their SF and Seattle locations. It's a nice hotel, but not worth the price in my opinion.

I'd look at the Ace Hotel or one of the smaller boutique hotels we have here. Same quality, but cheaper.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,163,024 times
I'm not sure it's fair to call it a chain. That sounds like a cookie-cutter hotel. They're all boutique hotel, owned by a parent company. But each is individual in its own right.

And the same could be said of the Ace, which has other hotels in Palm Springs, Seattle, and New York. It's downside is the location is slightly worse, and I'm not sure that if you get a room there with a private bath, it wouldn't cost as much as the Monaco.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 AM

10 posts, read 24,140 times
Thanks for the advice so far. Also looking for good places to eat, in particular really good sushi, any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for nightlife? Nothing crazy, just somewhere to get a few nice drinks? Possibly a good jazz club? Thx

Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,032,817 times
The top jazz club in the city is Jimmy Mak's, on 10th a few blocks north of Powell's Books. It was rated as one of the top 100 places for jazz in the US by Down Beat magazine. You might also like Wilf's, at the train station, and Ivories, on 15th, 5 blocks west of Jimmy Mak's.

For really top-of-the-line sushi and other Japanese food, the place to go is Murata, on the south side of downtown near the Keller Auditorium and its spectacular fountain. Closer to the jazz clubs, you'll find a couple of outposts of a local chain called Mio Sushi, which I like, and a couple of places that put the sushi on a conveyor belt - Sushi Ichiban on Broadway and Marinepolis SushiLand a few blocks away.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM

84 posts, read 111,180 times
My husband and I just got back from a week long trip yesterday. We stayed at the Hotel Monaco (our second stay there). It has a great downtown location. It is very walkable. The hotel and staff are quite nice too. We would happily stay there again. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM

113 posts, read 217,028 times
the hilton in the center city is just across from Portland's living room. The staff sucks, but the location is perfect. Go on price line.com to get huge discounts on the price. even my corporate discount didn't beat the price line.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM

170 posts, read 194,233 times
personally, i'd try hotel lucia or the nines. they are centrally located and a little different, plus if you call you might get in on some specials.

good luck and enjoy your stay. make it as romantic as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: