Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,572,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
We are actually going to look down in Salem first, ( work wise) I am certain within a year or two we will move up to Portland area. I know we loved the Clackamas/sunnyside rd ( east of the 99E) last time we visited near happy valley a lot. But then again we loved beaverton too. So I am not looking into real estate this time but more areas of rentals ect. I appreciate the heads up on the events going on. The latest we are moving will be May ( end) due to my 7 year old needing to finish up 2nd grade here then we will go.
We are in a newer rental home in the HV/Damascus area. If you don't mind me asking - what's your price range & size? Perhaps I can be of some help, since we just moved here in June and are still fairly fresh w/the rental situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM

218 posts, read 375,372 times
Sure I don't mind you asking. Since we are a family of 4 we need atleast 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Our price range is from 1000-1500. We found a few nice homes on sunnyside and 130th ave i believe for $1300 which were not bad. How do you like the HV area? I loved the new schools they built out that way too.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM

780 posts, read 1,572,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
Sure I don't mind you asking. Since we are a family of 4 we need atleast 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Our price range is from 1000-1500. We found a few nice homes on sunnyside and 130th ave i believe for $1300 which were not bad. How do you like the HV area? I loved the new schools they built out that way too.
Yeah, you should definitely be able to find something pretty nice in the 1300-1500 range for a 3br/2ba home out here. Constantly keep you eye on places like Craigslist. We were looking for a 4BR home in the 1400-1700 range, and after waiting a while for the perfect home to come up, we did find one in that range that is only a few years old in an allottment w/a nice little park & fabulous neighbors.

I would STRONGLY recommend POUNCING on something if it's really good - they don't last on the rental market out here. On two occasions (one in HV and one in West Linn), homes we were looking on Craigslist were already off the market by the time we called to set up an appt. A third home (in HV) that we did actually see in person was gone by the time we applied for it just two hours later. When our current place popped up on Craigslist, my wife had us an appt in 2 hours & we had our check in hand at the viewing to rent it - turns out that was wise, because he had an appt after us, who we later found out also had the deposit in hand. That lady ended up renting another place in our 'hood & mentioned it to us at the park one day, when we were discussnig where we lived...lol.

We live right near the 212/224 split in extreme SE Happy Valley, and our kids go to the two new schools there, Rock Creek MS & Duncan ES. We really like our area, because within 20 minutes you can be anywhere from Milwaukie to Oregon City to Gresham to Sandy. Getting around is a breeze, IMO. I work in Milwaukie and have about a 14-17 minute commute, depending on lights & traffic, and there are honestly no real hiccups along that route.

As far as the schools go, I have read many reports that they are among the best in the state, although I personally struggle w/that assessment a bit, because we came from a district in Ohio that was academically in the top 2-3% of all districts in that state & unusually well-funded, due to its ridiculously good string at passing local levies/bond issues. Regardless, when we did our research last year, we found that only two districts in metro Portland (WL/Wilsonville & Lake Oswego) seemed to consistently fair better than it in various (non-athletic) rankings. Also, it feels like the east side NCSD schools (Clackamas HS based) seem to get much better rankings that the west side (Putnam & Milwaukie HS based) schools. Note that Sunnyside Road is the dividing line between a number of the elementary schools, as well as the two eastside middle schools. The NCSD has a map showing the boundaries.

In the end with the schools, my kids seem to be happy at their respective schools (Rock Creek MS & Duncan ES), and are getting pretty good marks.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM

343 posts, read 691,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Well, a large supply of ramen noodles always helps those who are budgeting for a purpose!
Nah you can have your packaged ramen. I heard the ramen shops in Portland that aren't half bad though. I'll stick to that, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland