Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 PM

216 posts, read 909,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I would absolutely move to West Linn. There are so ugly mass complexes in Happy Valley and it's so far away from the city. The commute from there is awful. Are you working in portland? The nice thing about West Linn is that you can hop on highway 43 and there is pretty much no traffic.

The schools are excellent in West Linn. I don't know much about the schools in Happy Valley. People in Happy Valley or quite snobby. (I used to work in the area and the people are just not that nice)
I agree about West Linn. We just moved here last August and love it! My daughter is loving her new school and teacher, and the people are so friendly here! I just can't get over the beautiful hills and scenery, it's a blessing to look at everyday. I agree with Sobefobik about the 43. I hop on it and never have a traffic problem. Close enough to downtown too, which is very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:26 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,082 times
Hi. My wife and I have been looking at West Linn for a possible move next year. It seems that many of the homes on the market are in the Willamette area. From the map this area looks fairly close to 205. In fact, it looks too close. So I'm wondering, am I mis-interpreting the map or? Thanks.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,428 times
West Linn is right on 205, but you can hardly tell. The main downtown is off the main highway and very nice. They are finally adding some lanes to the 205 there, so that should help with the traffic, which was getting very nasty.

I've lived in Portland for a while now, and I can say that West Linn is one of my favorite towns in the area. It is easily accessible to Porland, and you don't have to take 205 to get there. You take highway 43. There is no virtually no traffic on it, and it takes very little time to get into Portland. Don't let 205 turn you away.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 AM

49 posts, read 233,531 times
I have family in West Linn. They love it. Being close to the 205 when we've visited made it easy to get places. There is no traffic noise where they live and they are close to the river which is also nice.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 9,074 times
Default Happy Valley vs. West Linn?

I am astounded by the responses in this thread. I would NEVER recommend West Linn to anyone. The schools are awful and snobby? Oh my, I can't believe someone said Happy Valley was snobby compared to West Linn. The city of Happy Valley is run much better (everything is not left up to Clackamas County to deal with...) and the houses are newer, nicer and more affordable. The commute is better or worse, depending on where you're going. I agree that Hwy. 43 is a fantastic way to get to downtown Portland, both morning and evening. The new MAX line out of the Clackamas Town Center, however, makes Happy Valley much better for commuters who chose public transportation over driving. Traffic in Happy Valley is not bad at all, except around the Clackamas Town Center. Crime, especially drug crime, is nearly non-existent in Happy Valley, as opposed to West Linn, which has a significant drug problem, including at the high school. You want a perfect illustration of the difference? Attend any sporting event, at any age level, between the two towns (Clackamas and West Linn.) The sportsmanship exhibited by the players, the behavior of the parents and of the coaches will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM

216 posts, read 909,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalissa View Post
I am astounded by the responses in this thread. I would NEVER recommend West Linn to anyone. The schools are awful and snobby? Oh my, I can't believe someone said Happy Valley was snobby compared to West Linn. The city of Happy Valley is run much better (everything is not left up to Clackamas County to deal with...) and the houses are newer, nicer and more affordable. The commute is better or worse, depending on where you're going. I agree that Hwy. 43 is a fantastic way to get to downtown Portland, both morning and evening. The new MAX line out of the Clackamas Town Center, however, makes Happy Valley much better for commuters who chose public transportation over driving. Traffic in Happy Valley is not bad at all, except around the Clackamas Town Center. Crime, especially drug crime, is nearly non-existent in Happy Valley, as opposed to West Linn, which has a significant drug problem, including at the high school. You want a perfect illustration of the difference? Attend any sporting event, at any age level, between the two towns (Clackamas and West Linn.) The sportsmanship exhibited by the players, the behavior of the parents and of the coaches will tell you everything you need to know.
Just curious on why you say the schools are "awful"? They are rated extremely high and are some of the best in the state?? This is a big reason on why families choose LO and WL to live?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 PM

62 posts, read 256,648 times
Happy Valley is a much better area than West Linn in my opinion. I have been in the Happy Valley area, south side of Mt Scott for about 18 months now and LOVE IT. West Linn is much further from Portland proper. The Max (lightrail) runs to the edge of Happy Valley/Clackamas now making commutes downtown simple and inexpensive. Very good community out here and a bit less pretentiousness than I gather in West Linn.

Also whoever said we have horrible traffic has no idea what it is like to live here. The traffic can not even be described as 'poor' here. I go down Sunnyside Rd (the main strip) in rushhour every day and it adds maybe 3 minutes to my commute then if the road were clear, as it usually is.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM

107 posts, read 451,764 times
Thanks everyone for all the responses and sharing your own personal opinions. We have been here now over a year and LOVE West Linn. I don't find it snobby whatsoever. You will gravitate towards your kind!
The schools are great and we have loved all of our teachers. I do think Happy Valley is a pretty area and you do get more for your money, but no way would I move there vs. Here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland