Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 PM

20 posts, read 103,332 times

Advertisements

What is the most quiet, affordable, rural area near Portland, OR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 AM

30 posts, read 86,142 times
I'd like to know this, too, because I'm hoping my parents will relocate after I do. They've asked me this same question, but I won't really know till I get out there, I suppose.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Im guessing here a little but, look into the St Helens and Scapoose areas. Both are reasonable compared to Portland. The money you save might end up being spent in a commute into town. Across the river there are communities north of Vancouver Wa. The bottleneck at the I-5 river crossing makes this a test of endurance. Out south and west there are communities beyond Hillsboro, and Oregon City. The first two I mentioned are far closer and easier to get into Portland and seem to have the least amount of traffic to do so. Highway 30 is under construction in places but is being improved to handle the flow from the communities further out. Other possible communities beyond St Helen's/Scapoose are Deer island and Goble. If you are retired or retiring, the further out small pockets around these places are nice. I became fond of a place called Birkenfield but its way out in the sticks. Vernonia is quite aways out as well. Vernonia gets a bonus for being closer to the coast.

Squidlo

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,689 times
If you like farming and/or wine country...Thats what I think whan I hear "rural"
Check out Newburg, Dundee, McMinnville....about the same (give or take 10 minutes) travel time as Scapoose and St Helens to Portland, but Beaverton and Tigard are closer and you can get what you need there. Also the weather seems better...slightly more southern and in a valley as oppsed to a river gorge-ish area. Oregon is famous for micro climate pockets, which makes for the vast agricultural range.

I didnt care for Scapoose area when I traveled out there for work for about 3 months...
Just not my cup-o-green tea. I prefer the above areas based on the services, restaurants, schools and its prettier (again to me) lots of info on Willamette Valley wineries on the web...most likely some info on Dundee.

A humble opinion

Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
I liked Dundee, Newburg, Forrest Grove and McMinnville as well. Along Highway 26 there is also North Plains home of the Elephant Garlic Festival. What I have never liked is the traffic on the south side of I-5 coming into Portland, nor did I care for coming into Portland on Highway 26. At some point you have to come to town heh.

I think Portland would benefit from another bypass or loop maybe Cornelius Pass from Highway 30 to Newberg open that side up and take some pressure off of Highway 26. I've driven the route and it wouldnt be impossible. Off topic and just a thought

Squidlo

Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM

49 posts, read 233,516 times
We just got back from a quick trip to Portland and liked the Damascus area east of the 205 and the 212. There were some really nice large lots 1-5 acres and the traffic did not seem too bad compared to the nightmare I expericenced on the 99W which I checked out Tigard and Tualitin. We had considered Newburg but being over there we will consider the Oregon City/Damascus side of town instead.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 AM

40 posts, read 125,175 times
Canby is a town 25 minutes from Portland (off I-5), about 10,000 people, has a lot to offer nearby, relatively quiet and certain parts are VERY rural (cows, only residential, horses, real farmers, grass growers..etc) if you go a few miles outside the city's main street (highway 99E). I highly recommend it. You can still buy a decent house for a decent price (under 300K).

Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM

20 posts, read 103,332 times
right now I focus on Tigard, Tualatin and Oregon City because the weather seems better. Can sombody tell me this is the right choice?

All opinions/comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
Those areas aren't particularly rural. Are you looking for RURAL or just a quiet suburb?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 AM

49 posts, read 233,516 times
I didn't find Tualitin or Tigard rural at all and as I said the traffic was terrible. Oregon City has some rural areas on the outskirts. I don't believe the weather is any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland