Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM

170 posts, read 193,953 times

Advertisements

i need to find a house and i do not want to go through a property manager, but alas, it seems that all rentals ARE through property managers. i cannot find one website that is owner/landlord related that doesn't involve the danged property managers.

if you don't want to post it publicly, please pm me!

thanks so much for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I doubt any individuals with houses to rent are going to have websites promoting them. That's only advantages when you have bunches of them.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I doubt any individuals with houses to rent are going to have websites promoting them. That's only advantages when you have bunches of them.
That's true, they more than likely do not have multiple properties so it would not be to their advantage to maintain a website. All they have to do is put out a sign and the renters will flock to them.

My landlord owns four small buildings. He does not have a website because he doesn't need one to find potential renters for this reason.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,090 times
When we were looking last year, we found Craigslist had numerous listings by private owners. Just make sure you do your due diligence w/any private owners that everything is on the up and up. First place to start - before you even bother calling about a showing - is the county assessor's office website to make sure their version of the property matches what the owner is saying. Also use Google drivebys (if available) to match photos.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
I'd actually prefer going through a property management company than an owner. At least you have an existing business to support the potential signing contract. just curious, what's your issue with property managers?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,278 times
Dunno... I've just gone through the rigmarole of finding a place, and I kind of prefer private owners to management companies. Less paperwork, less of a hassle, and as long as you get and keep receipts for everything (and do your homework before dropping the deposit), you're good to go.

On the other hand, the property management company does have the advantages of a more uniform management style, and removes the uncertainty and homework of finding a good landlord. It also makes a place easier to find sometimes.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM

170 posts, read 193,953 times
Cool landlord's websites vs property managers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
I'd actually prefer going through a property management company than an owner. At least you have an existing business to support the potential signing contract. just curious, what's your issue with property managers?
we're on a fixed income and i really hate to give 45-70 bucks for the check thing. i know that it's great for the landlord to have someone do that for them, but i really resent it. i guess we'll have to pound the pavement and look for the signs up. we are really particular about what we rent and we're very good tenants. we're too old to buy now, never wanted to buy, you know fear of committment. we take really good care of everything and never bother the landlord. in fact we replaced the diswasher and fridge in this house and just let the landlord know we did it. they said take it off the rent and my husband said no.

i've placed a housing wanted ad on craig's list outlining what we need and what we can pay and so far no nibbles, i've posted it twice. i've looked at the houses that they show in craig's list and besides being property managers, the houses are small, dark (i've got severe SAD issues) and over priced.

thanks for all your help guys!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen1 View Post
we're on a fixed income and i really hate to give 45-70 bucks for the check thing. i know that it's great for the landlord to have someone do that for them, but i really resent it. i guess we'll have to pound the pavement and look for the signs up. we are really particular about what we rent and we're very good tenants. we're too old to buy now, never wanted to buy, you know fear of committment. we take really good care of everything and never bother the landlord. in fact we replaced the diswasher and fridge in this house and just let the landlord know we did it. they said take it off the rent and my husband said no.

i've placed a housing wanted ad on craig's list outlining what we need and what we can pay and so far no nibbles, i've posted it twice. i've looked at the houses that they show in craig's list and besides being property managers, the houses are small, dark (i've got severe SAD issues) and over priced.

thanks for all your help guys!
Buying is really overrated here in the US. No doubt you all would make good renters. I'm the same. Figure the less I bother the land owner the less likely they'll raise the rent.

One thing you brought up I'm curious about - why is it so many places I've seen there in Portland are so dark and enclosed. I would think with the darker weather they would build more open and bright layouts.

good luck to you,

Old 02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
One thing you brought up I'm curious about - why is it so many places I've seen there in Portland are so dark and enclosed. I would think with the darker weather they would build more open and bright layouts.

good luck to you,
Portland (as opposed to the 'burbs) has mostly older homes. 1940s and earlier.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Buying is really overrated here in the US. No doubt you all would make good renters. I'm the same. Figure the less I bother the land owner the less likely they'll raise the rent.

good luck to you,

Sorry to say but that does not have a whole lot to do with rent increases. Every private owner I have rented from and that has been many have given me a rent increase every year even if I never spoke to them.

The ever-rising costs of taxes, maintenance and utilities are just some factors that contribute to yearly or more frequent rent increases. A prospective renter needs to factor in the cost of rent increases in years or sometimes months to come.

Some will raise the rents periodically just because they can. Especially with apartment vacancies at 3% in Portland. If you are moving from out of town, you may have to take whatever you can get and then browse through areas in which you are interested to scout of "for rent" signs which is the way most individual landlords advertise their properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: