Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Cap Chew View Post
Wow, cat fight.

Nova, I don't know why you are coming down so hard on oldtintype. She was just saying that living in Portland is different than reading about Portland on the internet. You can't really know a place, get a true and accurate feel for a city until you spend some time in it. You seem to get angry quickly, a bit of a short fuse. I've read a lot of posts by oldtintype and she has been very kind and respectful to everyone and extremely helpful. I think you were a bit heavyhanded with your remarks compared to what she said to you. She was just saying some of your current views and ideas about Portland may not hold up once you have lived in Portland for a while. You do come across as very definite in your views about Portland without having had any actual hands-on experience with the city. I love your posts though, always fun to read, and I love your passion to help the homeless, etc, but no need to get spittin mad - especially at oldtintype of all people.

Kiss and make up, girls.
I'm not coming down hard on anyone. I think we have different interpretations of how people come across and the basis of their intent. Trust me, I have been around enough people to know different personality types and where people are coming from, so this isn't anything shocking but more the "standard" in today's world. I have always been extremely kind and respectful to everyone in addition to trying to help others who are looking for suggestions. You seem to mistake my reactions for anger, which is not the case. I can care less what a bunch of anonymous people think about me as I'm not here for a popularity contest, so anger is not the issue, disgust/repulsion perhaps but certainly not anger. I don't give people that kind of power over my life. I simply choose to stand firm against people who come across in a rude and ignorant demeanor against myself and others. I don't need people to dictate to me what I can and can't comment on because they don't agree with my views or feel that I need to live in Portland before I can comment, call me naive or analyze my every word. I will never have respect for people like that, in fact, that behavior is what I'm fighting against on a daily basis. Different people apply different methods for feeling out a new city, it's not a right or wrong scenario. When others attempt to lecture people it becomes insulting and ignorant behavior, and anyone who can't see this is blind. A short fuse against ignorance, yes. We have enough of it in the world and that's why America is in constant crisis/conflict. I'm all for free speech, always have been, regardless if I agree with you or not, but there's a line between free speech and dictating to others what they can and can't say, what they can offer, how they should think etc... Meaning they CAN say what they want but I/or anyone has the right to freely respond, defend or clarify points which need to be communicated. I stood up for myself and other people here who didn't have the courage to do so. Thank you for your comments on appreciating my posts. I'm here to hear different views about Portland from the locals as well as to help other people based on my knowledge, research and experience. If people are going to appreciate me, than I would appreciate it being for who I am as opposed to being a socially groomed robot. It takes courage to live in today's world and I feel very comfortable with myself................ I firmly stated my peace and would like to move on. Let's continue with the topic of the thread.

Last edited by Supernova7; 09-12-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 PM

65 posts, read 252,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Well, it appears that this "message board" restricts free speech and self-expression. Your comments have to meet others acceptance standards and views or they may be edited, deleted or mistaken for something that they're not. I'm wording this as carefully and as politely as possible.
I'm afraid I have to say something here... It seems like "free speech and self-expression" only applies to you, Supernova7, in this case. OTT merely tried to clarify some misconceptions. If you feel your "feelings" about something are absolutely right you might try testing them against the reality of the place. One can only go so far from reading and asking questions because all your "facts" are essentially opinions of other people. Be careful to try to apply you're own standards to yourself... There was NOTHING inflamitory about OTT's response... It seemed like "just the facts". In MY OPINION your response was uncalled for.

OTT is one of only a few locals on this board who actually have first hand knowledge of Portland and with some VERY helpful hints. I would be VERY sad if someone who hasn't even been to Portland managed to drive her/him (not sure which actually) off the board...

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcat View Post
I'm afraid I have to say something here... It seems like "free speech and self-expression" only applies to you, Supernova7, in this case. OTT merely tried to clarify some misconceptions. If you feel your "feelings" about something are absolutely right you might try testing them against the reality of the place. One can only go so far from reading and asking questions because all your "facts" are essentially opinions of other people. Be careful to try to apply you're own standards to yourself... There was NOTHING inflamitory about OTT's response... It seemed like "just the facts". In MY OPINION your response was uncalled for.

OTT is one of only a few locals on this board who actually have first hand knowledge of Portland and with some VERY helpful hints. I would be VERY sad if someone who hasn't even been to Portland managed to drive her/him (not sure which actually) off the board...
I had indicated in prior posting that I had stated my peace (firmly) and would like to get back to the topic. Which by the way is what we're supposed to be discussing before inappropriate and rude attacks were made against me. You are entitiled to "your opinion" as are the rest of us. As mentioned before, I'm not looking for a popularity contest nor do I feel the need to explain myself. If anyone choses to leave this board it's their choice and has nothing to do with myself or anyone else, so I would appreciate you not using me as a scapegoat. To clarify a few points in your post: There are MANY people on this board and not a "few" that have knowledge about Portland. MANY people have visited, lived in and presently live in this city, so it's really not fair for you to make those comments to the rest of the people here who have something to say/offer. Second, I never indicated that free speech applies only to me. That's another misrepresentation of my post and deliberate attack on my character. Please show "evidence" where I said that "free speech apllies only to me??????" You can't because it's untrue. If anyone clarified misconceptions it was me All my facts are facts to me because they are coming from people who had lived and presently live in Portland, this does not even include the private research that I have been conducting. Perhaps if I stated that I lived in Portland or have visited, somehow people would turn that in to an argument as well, since people who didn't like Portland seem to always get attacked here. I ALWAYS apply my standards to myself, there's no other way. You may think my response was uncalled for and I respectively and strongly disagree with you. Unlike some people, I think very carefully before I post and always try to be as polite as possible. You can think what you like but I took a stand on the basis of principle and will continue to (ALWAYS) stand up against rude and ignorant behavior albeit here or in the real world. I have never and will never be a mute robot for people to walk on. I'm blunt, direct, to the point, and seek the truth in all things, that's how I live with myself I have nothing further to say on this matter and would appreciate it if we can get back on topic.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

116 posts, read 614,224 times
Geez....this is getting out of hand and downright hostile.

We all take time from our busy lives to help out those interested in Portland and all wish to share our thoughts and ideas. Nova, for someone who claims to want an open forum where all are welcomed to post, I find it ironic that you also want to set the topic and decide when people should or should not continue a discussion. I think this whole discussion is rather valid. As someone who fairly recently moved to Portland I found this and similar boards very helpful in my decision making process. That being said, the point of view of someone who actually lives in a city, or at the very least has visited it, is more valid than someone who has not. That is not a shot at you, rather a simple fact.

I don't think there has been any attack on your character or person, rather simply an attempt to add some reality to your post. You may think you know what Portland is like, but Oldtintype actually "KNOWS" what the city is like, therefore his/her post will "always" be more valid and carry more weight than yours.

Oldtintype, please continue to post and share your insighs regarding life in SE and Sellwood. Even though I actually live in Portland I don't really respond to many questions regarding the SE because I only have a surface understanding of what life is like there. I usually keep my comments to Portland in general and the NE specifically. So, keep up the good work. Your enthusiasm for you great neighborhood is truly a benefit to this board and those who frequent it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 AM

65 posts, read 252,702 times
Supernova7,

You are acting like a child who is having their misconceptions challenged by adults. You do NOT own the board nor the truth.

Chill out...

Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I'm thinking of Noe Valley before it became stroller and yuppie central but was on the verge of that. There are a lot of older people in Sellwood, especially compared to Alberta. I like Sellwood--I worked in the neighborhood for a few years, but I do think it's going to change a lot over the next few years.
Oh, gotcha. I never knew Noe Valley prior to 1985 so I didn't realize it had changed quite that much, say in comparison to the areas of SF I lived in.

From what you tell me, Sellwood would probably work for me whether it stays the same or morphs into a younger, hipper area...and I guess I can deal with a few expensive strollers here and there if it comes to that. :^) I do love some of the streets in that area.

Thanks for your insights - the comparisons to SF are helpful. On my next trip up there over the holidays, I think I will go take a peek at AA since I'm pretty familiar with Sellwood, Hawthorne, and East Moreland already.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcat View Post
Supernova7,

You are acting like a child who is having their misconceptions challenged by adults. You do NOT own the board nor the truth.

Chill out...
I shouldn't even be responding to your post as it's another childish attempt to provoke people. When did I say I own the board? Never. There goes your credibility My misconceptions? Child? Why? Because I'm a strong person, intelligent, highly educated, well spoken, considerate and NOT afraid to stand up for myself. Get real! I AM an adult amongst "some" little spoiled children that feel the need to force their point. People don't seem to understand I don't care what others think. I care about standing up against ignorance and I will continue to do that If you don't like it than ignore my posts, move on, but you can't. You feel the need to provoke people in to an argument. Talk about acting like a child. "Here's an idea let's agree to disagree and stay on topic." Why is it so hard for some of you to follow the rules of the board? "STAY ON TOPIC" . This isn't about me or your inflated ego. It's about Alberta Arts

Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
Geez....this is getting out of hand and downright hostile.

We all take time from our busy lives to help out those interested in Portland and all wish to share our thoughts and ideas. Nova, for someone who claims to want an open forum where all are welcomed to post, I find it ironic that you also want to set the topic and decide when people should or should not continue a discussion. I think this whole discussion is rather valid. As someone who fairly recently moved to Portland I found this and similar boards very helpful in my decision making process. That being said, the point of view of someone who actually lives in a city, or at the very least has visited it, is more valid than someone who has not. That is not a shot at you, rather a simple fact.

I don't think there has been any attack on your character or person, rather simply an attempt to add some reality to your post. You may think you know what Portland is like, but Oldtintype actually "KNOWS" what the city is like, therefore his/her post will "always" be more valid and carry more weight than yours.

Oldtintype, please continue to post and share your insighs regarding life in SE and Sellwood. Even though I actually live in Portland I don't really respond to many questions regarding the SE because I only have a surface understanding of what life is like there. I usually keep my comments to Portland in general and the NE specifically. So, keep up the good work. Your enthusiasm for you great neighborhood is truly a benefit to this board and those who frequent it.
No "ALL" of us don't take the time to help others. Take a look at how many people are on this board asking fore help and how many threads went unanswered, or only answered by one person. Please.....you make it sound like this forum is filled with loving angels waiting to do God's good work...LOL Point to be made: Some people here post for their own ego's and self gratification, it makes them feel important and has nothing to do with "genuinely" wanting to help others. This IS an open forum and yes everyone is welcome to post, when have I ever said otherwise? Stop putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting my posts

I'm NOT competing with people here, for a millionth time, TRY to comprehend this basic concept. My posts/contribution are just as valid and helpful as anyone elses. Whether I live in Portland or not has no bearing as it's all opinion based, it's subjective. I can be writing this memo "from Portland" and it wouldn't change a thing because my experience will vary from the next person and so on.... I received some of the best information from people who are NOT presently living in the city. Besides, some of the people here are clearly hyping their city and making it out to be something that it's not. I could be communicating with a 12 year spoiled child for all I know. It's the nature of these forums, so I take them with a grain of salt.

I don't set the topic or control the discussion. THE RULES of the board state that you should focus on the topic and not stray, otherwise you're hijacking the thread. The only reason I'm replying to you is because you made rude, inaccurate statements towards me. I'm clarifying this so we won't have this discussion again as it's pointless and I won't waste my time with it. People who come here aren't concerned about the politics of how you feel about me or others, they are concerned with getting information they seek. This is "basic comprehension" I'm not sure why it's so difficult to understand.

You're entitled to your opinion and you can support whom you wish. That's your choice. I'm entitled to share my thoughts, offer help, obtain information I seek and stand my ground. I'm not going to be a doormat for a bunch of virtual strangers trying to impose their will on me WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE. Don't like my posts? My views? Ok. MANY PEOPLE HERE DO. Look at my reputation points as they speak for themselves. I help out of kindness and love and not out of ego and self-gratification. If you disagree with my or other people's views there's no need to misrepresent them nor provoke people in to an argument. Just respectively disagree, ignore and move on

P.S. I'm the LAST person on this board that would ever flame, attack or be hostile to anyone. You mistake hostility for defending thy self against unnecessary attacks. Yes, I'm not afraid, as you can see to stand my ground

Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 215,084 times
Quote:
Please.....you make it sound like this forum is filled with loving angels waiting to do God's good work...
Quote:
I'm NOT competing with people here, for a millionth time, TRY to comprehend this basic concept.
Quote:
I'm clarifying this so we won't have this discussion again as it's pointless and I won't waste my time with it.
Quote:
Some people here post for their own ego's and self gratification, it makes them feel important and has nothing to do with "genuinely" wanting to help others.
Quote:
Don't like my posts? My views? Ok. MANY PEOPLE HERE DO. Look at my reputation points as they speak for themselves. I help out of kindness and love and not out of ego and self-gratification.
Quote:
This is "basic comprehension" I'm not sure why it's so difficult to understand.
Quote:
You mistake hostility for defending thy self against unnecessary attacks. Yes, I'm not afraid, as you can see to stand my ground
. . .

Old 09-13-2007, 05:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,903 times
I am sorry to close this Alberta Arts topic. It's become too much off topic and a problem for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: