Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM

125 posts, read 578,589 times

Advertisements

What are you thoughts? Comparisons? Cost of living (i know the stats) Crime? Jobs? People? The beaches? Vibe? comfort level for somone who grew up in upstate NY, liberal, love the urban/small town feel all in one, llove Portland and the urban/small town feel all in one, but also loves the tropics, can tolerate some humidity (but not suffocating, like in S. Florida), college educated (but want to go back again), outdoor LOVER,

- I would love all transplants, natives, whomever to give me their thoughts......i know all stats and what you can find on the internet. Live in PDX now. And yes, planning on visiting FL in a few months...

Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,357 times
Hello.
I am actually contrasting a bit to your scenario of living in Portland and visiting Florida. I live in Florida and will be visiting Portland. However, I thought I would respond with my take on Jacksonville.

I have never lived in Jacksonville, but I do have a rental house there and have visited many times. The humidity that you mention does not stop in S. Florida, unfortunately, and is just as bad in North Florida, only difference weather wise is North Florida actually HAS a winter, with temps. regularly dropping in the 30's and occasionally 20's (never more then 2 days at a time) from Dec. to Feb.

Jacksonville lacks any small town feel that may exist in Portland, and is very sprawled out. To get to anything you must drive. The downtown area has several historic, great neighborhoods, which may be the closest to the urban/small town feel that you like. With the river running through downtown, it offers a beautiful setting with the bridges, unfortunately the city does not take advantage of it, and has allowed development along nearly the extent of it.

The rest of the city is very conservative. However, I believe many transplants from the N.E. have moved to Jacksonville and Florida in general.
Violent crime is a major issue for all of Florida, as many places have experienced record murders over the last few years, including Jacksonville. However, it is mainly tied to drugs and gangs, so if you avoid those you should be fine.

I am also college educated and currently living in North Florida but grew up in Orlando. If I stay in Florida, Jacksonville would not be an option. Many times people say Jacksonville is not quite there city wise, some very nice people, but still not wanting to let that good ole south mentality relinquish itself.

Some alternatives in Florida that you may want to consider would be St. Petersburg (Tampa), or Tallahassee. Hope this helps!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM

30 posts, read 127,869 times
Default PLEASE, PLEASE rethink Fla!

As a resident of Tampa, FL, I can tell you without a doubt there is NO compairson between here and Portland! My husband & I have visited Portland on numerous occassions and the first time we went we immediately fell in love with the city, culture and especially the people and laid back attitude. We are moving out there in May 08' and counting the days. I cannot even begin to describe the unfriendly, conservative, backward attitude of the people in Fla. We have been here for 5 years (due to job transfer) and it has been a living hell. Can't wait to get back out west where the people are at least free thinkers and not part of the "herd" as so many here in fla are! As for the traffic, this has got to be the worst place ever... you can't get anywhere without a car, even to run out for a bottle of water you have to get in your car and get through the unending traffic and congestion...a transportation system is non existent here compared to Portland which has one of the best transportation systems around. At least in Portland you can jump on your bike and pedal over to the Wild Oats or Safeway and everything is in walking distance and convenient. There is absolutely no convenience here. Also, no bike paths...you are literally taking your life into your hands when you TRY to ride a bike in this crummy town! This is NOT a pedestrian/biker friendly city for sure! Remember...this is the good ole south and 99% of the people living here are still in that mind set and they let you know it. The most rude, obnoxious unfriendly people going. Everyone here hides behind there gated walls and nobody gets out and does anything physical, which is why Fla has the fattest unfit unhealthy peeps going. The entire state is loaded with junkie strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. unlike the indy owned businesses in Portland. Do yourself a favor and stay in Portland...you will regret it here in Fla! ABSOLUTELY no comparison. Oh yeah, crime is off the charts here in Tampa and only getting worse!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,977 times
I visited Tallahassee before and I think it is a nice town. The weather didn't seem that bad, and people seems to be friendlier (when compared to Orlando). I never lived there but just an observation from visits on few different occasions.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Thanks to you all

The overall tone of the answers I am getting, on this thread, others, and from people who actually live/have lived there seem to say the same thing - RETHINK.

I'm listening - and I guess my appreciation for clean cities, low humidity, urban, vibrant downtown, and liberal leanings would severly clash with FL. Aside from its beaches, sunshine, and palm trees, nothing else there appeals to me.

I hear you all - and my gut. Guess I might just stick to visiting, unless I get priced out of Portland - its getting quite $$$.

Thanks again guys, and if anyone has further comments...keep em coming!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,357 times
Housing in Florida, although not quite as expensive as Portland, is not as cheap as it use to be. Another thing to consider beyond the price of the housing is insurance. Many insurance companies have vacated Florida, making it difficult to get your home insured. Once the home is insured, it is ususally very expensive, and ever increasing due to former hurricanes and the threat of future ones.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 127,869 times
Default Home Owners Insurance

Many people here in Fla are leaving the state due to the fact they cannot get insurance on their homes anymore and if they do, it's at triple the price of what it once was. Just another reason to reconsider!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,055 times
I've never been to Portland (though I have been trying to visit for years), but my wife is from FL and we visit a few times per year. Let me tell you, there is no way in HELL you could get me to live there! Yes, the beaches are pretty, but the postcards with the white sand and palm trees don't show you everything else: rude people from the NE, suburban sprawl of a magnitude you wouldn't believe (and I'm from Texas), no urban form... the whole place is a subdivision or a strip mall, HUGE bugs, HORRIBLE WEATHER (unbearable heat and humidity), boring landscape (flat, flat, flat except for the Ocala area).... dare I keep going?

I do have to say that the native Floridians I met were all very nice and down to earth, many good people from there. It is, however, very conservative, churchy and judgemental.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
I lived in Portland and have visited Jacksonville. Portland is much safer, far more cosmopolitan, MUCH more upscale, far more manageable, less sprawled- Jacksonville only trumps it in winter weather and beaches. Otherwise no comparison.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I've never been to Portland (though I have been trying to visit for years), but my wife is from FL and we visit a few times per year. Let me tell you, there is no way in HELL you could get me to live there! Yes, the beaches are pretty, but the postcards with the white sand and palm trees don't show you everything else: rude people from the NE, suburban sprawl of a magnitude you wouldn't believe (and I'm from Texas), no urban form... the whole place is a subdivision or a strip mall, HUGE bugs, HORRIBLE WEATHER (unbearable heat and humidity), boring landscape (flat, flat, flat except for the Ocala area).... dare I keep going?

I do have to say that the native Floridians I met were all very nice and down to earth, many good people from there. It is, however, very conservative, churchy and judgemental.
I suppose I just need to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland