Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,080 times

Advertisements

My husband retired last year and we moved to lovely Ashland, Oregon. It's a super little town and we're not unhappy but it's a bit small for me. Portland looms largely on the horizon by virtue of its size and amenities. The weather during the winter sounds grim but if we're retired we can just get up and get out for a few weeks at a time.

So what would it be like to live there as retirees? I'm not old but my husband is. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I plan to retire to Portland just as soon as I retire in June (from teaching in NY). The weather for me compared to snow , is a plus. I am looking for an over 55 community. I don't know how old your husband is, but I am over 55 (I guess that's old ). Portland consistently makes the lists of great places to live. It is not cheap, but any place that is nice is usually not inexpensive. Good luck !
Try:
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 191,266 times
Default Also thinking about Portland

We are also thinking about moving to Portland. We are retired and currently live in central Oregon in a country setting. While we are by no way "elderly", we do both have spine problems that are making it more difficult to maintain a home.

Our son has lived in downtown Portland for several years so we have some familiarity with the area, but my husband isn't too keen on living in downtown. The idea of having the MAX, bus line and the trolley as our main mode of transportation is very appealing. (If you've ever tried to drive in downtown PDX and find a place to park, you know what I mean.)

We would like to find an apartment/condo complex for adults, that isn't a "retirement home". While we love children, we are ready to try something a little different....and quieter, with less toys, etc We are ready to divest ourselves of home ownership and the property taxes that come along with that here in Oregon. Is there anything like that in the Portland metro area? All I seem to be able to find are 55+ communities with some degree of care, or condo properties to buy.

Good luck to those of you thinking of moving to Portland!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Born and raised in Portland here. Before you retire in Portland look around a little. I dont think I could afford to live in Portland at retirement. I am focusing on retirement at the moment and looking around quite a bit. Housing costs and property taxes top my lists of things I don't want to see sky high at retirement. We need to keep our fixed costs down when we retire. I don't know what your priorities are but, mine are warmer weather, trees, access to medical care and low fixed costs. I would like to be settled into retirement at the ripe old age of 60. Maybe work a little, you know like a "hobby". I can always visit Portland in the early summer when its prime time weather wise .

Squidlo

Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM

99 posts, read 310,755 times
Any information on State income tax taken from retirement income and from social security?

I have heard alot about Portland, from my grandfather, who went there to find his sister, who he had not seen in over 72 years. Grandpa said that Portland was a very nice city.

I want to find out more about the year-round weather, too.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
[quote=texangelwings;1539947]Any information on State income tax taken from retirement income and from social security?

I believe they tax retirement income only, and my tax person told me that since Minnesota (where I live) has higher taxes, I must be sure to let my pension people know I will be in Oregon.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM

37 posts, read 191,266 times
Default Retirement Tax Info

Here is a good link for information about the tax laws as they pertain to retirees.

https://secure.dor.state.or.us/piti/index.cfm?action=topic&id=40 (broken link)

Our son has lived in Portland for about six years now and really enjoys the weather. This summer was unusually dry, but for the most part it is a pretty wet city....think Seattle, but a little drier. Summers are pretty mild as well, but they do have the occasional week of temps close to 100. Winters are very mild there, compared to central Oregon. They do get a little snow and ice, which throws the entire city into chaos, but it seldom lasts more than a day or so. Spring is glorious!

We are looking forward to moving up to Portland in the future to take advantage of the urban lifestyle (close proximity to MAX light rail, bus and trolly) which appeals to us. Property values are very high in Portland, but we've decided to be renters once we decide to sell here and move to Portland.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks Lillietta, for the information!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Thanks O'Westerner, for the website, I will check it out.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:28 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
We would like to find an apartment/condo complex for adults, that isn't a "retirement ". While we love children, we are ready to try something a little different....and quieter, with less toys, etc We are ready to divest ourselves of home ownership and the property taxes that come along with that here in Oregon. Is there anything like that in the Portland metro area? All I seem to be able to find are 55+ communities with some degree of care, or condo properties to buy.

That is what I am looking for too, ocho. Please let me know if you find something out. THere are a few over 55 places, but they are not really inside Portland. Some are pretty far away and would not be on the MAX lines. Some seem to be rather expensive (over $600k). So, please let me know what you find out. Thanks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-07-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland