Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best for gun owners... Oregon or Washington?
Oregon 8 53.33%
Washington 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
Sorry but Florida likely beats all. Give me a place w/out guns anyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy14 View Post
A place without guns = the criminals have them.. someones ALWAYS gonna get guns so thats a rather immature mindset.
Actually, no, a place with strict gun laws, i.e. "a place without guns" doesn't automatically mean only the criminals have them. It does mean that fewer people on average will have them. Fewer criminals, fewer of the non-criminal, mostly law abiding general public. Personally, I think all of you have misunderstood grammyR. As I interpret her(?) statement it's: Florida likely beats all others as a state where anyone can get a CCP. This has turned Florida into a killing field where so called law abiding, peace loving folk, can gun down 'bad people' with impunity. And they do. There were after all 15 Trayvon Martin style killings in just the last 7 years in addition to the many dozens of white/white and black/black killings that go on in places where handguns permits are doled out like Halloween candy. Then in her(?) second sentence s/he makes the statement that such a place isn't one that suits her personally. I don't think its an immature position at all.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
'Actually, Coming from NY and CA, Oregon's gun laws surprised me, because I always imagined Oregon as a more open state about everything. It is MUCH more difficult to get a concealed permit in Oregon. Not only do you need to take classes for Oregon's concealed carry, you also need a justifiable cause to carry. My neighbor in Vancouver used to own a business and regularly carried thousands of dollars on him and he was still denied a Concealed permit in Oregon."

Ah, but the numnutz still get 'em, though. Today in Newport, at a local crime-ridden hotel, the cops YANKED the permit of a visitor from Gresham. Why? Oh, he was attempting to holster his .357, and he fired it... the bullet went through another room, 12" from an 80-year-old woman's HEAD. Here's hoping he doesn't get the permit back.
Very interesting... in your first paragraph you seem wistful for a more Arizona like embrace of the 2nd Ammendment in Oregon. I mean... your state is about to allow you access to deadly force which you have the sole discretion over. A license to operate a 4,000lb vehicle gives you limited scope for carrying lethal amounts of deadly force far and wide and you better believe that one must undergo training classes and display the readiness to be thus empowered by the State. A firearm allows a person to carry deadly firepower, concealed in many cases, to just about every venue of human interaction. You believe this should be obtained easily?

In your second paragraph you seem incredulous that a "numnutz" was able to obtain a firearm permit when your business owner friend wasn't. Have you never done anything stupid with or around a firearm? Ever? Do you really think the "numnutz" in question should lose his CPL forever because of this one lapse in technique? If so, do you think the operators of motor vehicles should lose their operators licenses forever after a single accident, fatal or not? You can't have it both ways so think about it a little and decide whether you really want the Anarchist Utopia or the Nanny State social prison.

H

Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Half of the above Quote is untrue. Oregon is very easy to get a CCW and you do not need a reason. Portland has some rules on Open Carry that violate state law, but place like the Airport have learned the hard way they can not restrict CCW holders. It cost them over 6 million a couple of years ago to find out I can carry in any non sterile part of the airport.

Oregon is an Open Carry State. A couple of municipalities don’t like it and they will hassle you, but it is still an Open Carry State whether they like it or not. You can even carry in the Capital.

Yes out of state businessman can get an Oregon permit, but only if they do business a few miles from the border on the Oregon side.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,019 times
There is a lot of confusion here. In Oregon, you can carry any public place except for - Post Office, Federal property, and past the security checkpoint in the airport. Private places get to choose whether they want to let you or not. All this is as long as you have a Concealed Handgun License.

Yes, you even can carry in a school. Which is wonderful, because that's where shootings seem to happen. I don't need to die just because I want to graduate college.

Washington, as of late, has been a lot more hostile toward gun owners than Oregon, talking about making registries, etc. Oregon has strict laws on who can carry; but, if you're not a criminal, you're pretty free.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonholt View Post
... ...

Washington, as of late, has been a lot more hostile toward gun owners than Oregon, talking about making registries, etc. Oregon has strict laws on who can carry; but, if you're not a criminal, you're pretty free.

Something to take note of for sure.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I know a bunch of drunks in a certain Oregon town (Oakridge) who were all given CC permits. All they did was go to a class. One of them regularly gets drunk and passes out with her loaded gun nearby. Nice.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I know a bunch of drunks in a certain Oregon town (Oakridge) who were all given CC permits. All they did was go to a class. One of them regularly gets drunk and passes out with her loaded gun nearby. Nice.

Not sure what your point is?

Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Not sure what your point is?
Just that idiots will always find a way to get their hands on guns. And that if you go camping in the woods around the community in question, you will serve yourself well by avoiding the numerous loud, alcohol and drug fueled local "campouts."

Old 05-18-2013, 08:53 PM

With or without guns, boozers and those functioning on drugs are idiots, so I avoid them.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
Actually, Coming from NY and CA, Oregon's gun laws surprised me, because I always imagined Oregon as a more open state about everything. It is MUCH more difficult to get a concealed permit in Oregon. Not only do you need to take classes for Oregon's concealed carry, you also need a justifiable cause to carry. My neighbor in Vancouver used to own a business and regularly carried thousands of dollars on him and he was still denied a Concealed permit in Oregon.
Your neighbor was denied an Oregon concealed carry permit because he doesn't live in Oregon. That's not an issue for Oregon residents.

As for "justifiable cause," the only question on the application that could possibly relate to this is if I was applying because I was concerned for my personal safety. I answered "no" and the issue never came up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland