Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,250 times

Advertisements

I totally understand Random's "pretension" comment. I treat myself to expensive cheese and fruits occasionally and that takes me to the "well to do" parts of town. Even the clerks look at you sideways sometimes. I sure liked Zupan's way back when. Late at night on Burnside I could get my goodies and not feel like I was an interloper or vagrant.

I do read labels and I honestly think the China backlash will hurt Whole Foods. Putting people first includes your customer. Every company has a right to operate at a profit. But Chinese produce... Really? Put a big A$$ made in the USA label on the bag and say well "it costs a little more but its worth it". Maybe the american flag would attract too many red necks. YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 PM

181 posts, read 455,572 times
I unabashedly love Whole Foods; I shop there almost exclusively. I avoid "regular" grocery stores like Fred Meyer for the same reason I avoid Wal-Mart -- they feel evil to me. I don't like being surrounded by Monsanto & Friends when I shop. I also just love the atmosphere of Whole Foods (specifically the Bridgeport store, which is the biggest and best one in Portland). I look forward to going there every week. It doesn't feel pretentious to me at all. In fact, the anti-WF people seem like bigger snobs than the people I actually see shopping at WF...

As far as price, I really don't get why people think it's sooo expensive. I've tried the Food Front Co-Op, and it was more expensive than WF. I don't feel that I'm spending a whole lot more than I would be at Fred Meyer or Safeway... maybe $10/week more. I've actually found that some of the organic/"natural" foods at Fred Meyer are more expensive than at WF -- for the exact same product.

I miss the family-owned health food store I frequented in Ohio, which was every bit as good as WF. If there were something similar here, I would go there, but I've searched far and wide and feel that WF is the best option.

To each their own!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Fred Meyer's was local until it merged with Kroger in 1998. The store did change but it has many of the old Fred Meyer atmosphere. Even thought it has merged with Kroger I would still trust them more than Whole Foods. I think Whole Foods started out with the right idea but like Wal Mart which also began with good intentions, became just another big enterprise.

Anyone interested in it's history here's a link.

Fred Meyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 AM

333 posts, read 810,275 times
Gma, I agree that the Bridgeport WF store is magnificent. I shop at Whole Foods sometimes, but most of the time it is New Seasons. I was really disturbed when I found out about WF's business tactics against New Seasons which I've grown quite attached to. One really great thing about living in this area is we have so many choices!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM

381 posts, read 1,015,881 times
I can agree with Minervah on the local Freddy Meyer vibe. I didn't even know it was a Kroger store until I spotted the first Kroger house-brand items - something like two years after I'd walked into one for the first time.

Also, I'll second Sprightly's recommendation for New Seasons, and if you can find one, Trader Joe's is also a good pick.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

198 posts, read 399,976 times
Thanks so much for the links on WF. I don't go due to price and politic, but will be certain to never go now.

I have to defend new seasons for the produce and meat (which I eat). (They do make me angry over promoting their own milk over Alphenrose a local community supporting company. Not organic, but no hormones..etc.)

I find produce at the "organic stores" usually better quality fresher than the others. I buy produce that is high risk for pesticide mostly.

Don't eat red meat often, but only from new seasons, Zupans and Market of Choice, the se co-op and few independent grocers.

Try to shop elsewhere for shelf items. I use Costco for some things.f Organic coffe saves a bundle. I like that they pay their employees a decent wage. Getting upset with them lately for what I perceive to be boundry issues by entering politics over alcohol in WA. Not the topic though.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 PM

107 posts, read 278,363 times
I prefer New Seasons but since the Whole Foods on Fremont St. is much closer to my house I go there about once a week. Personally I don't find the employees or other customers pretentious, they look and act like most Portlanders. I shop at farmers markets a lot in the summer and I have to say its not much cheaper than Whole Foods, nor do I find New Seasons to be any cheaper.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Whole Foods is one of the big grocery chains actively working against any kind of Organic labeling system that actually has teeth behind it and means something.

I only shop there out of desperation these days,(frequently in the South/Midwest they're the only place to get anything remotely Organic,) and only for the few things that I absolutely need. I'm still ticked over their most likely illegal take over of Wild Oats. And they way they tried to steam roll New Seasons into handing over their ten year business plan and as part of that same lawsuit....

Then there is the way the CEO attacked rivals "anonymously" online. Whole Foods CEO attacked rival online - Business - US business - msnbc.com

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
I can agree with Minervah on the local Freddy Meyer vibe. I didn't even know it was a Kroger store until I spotted the first Kroger house-brand items - something like two years after I'd walked into one for the first time.
When Krogers bought them out, the joke going around was that they would change the name to Freddy Krogers. Back in the '70s they used to have a cafeteria with reasonably priced meals, I think mostly for the employees. I used to grocery shop after work, and would eat dinner before hitting the aisles.

I don't share the concern about GM foods, since I see them as a path to reducing chemical applications on crops. However, I'm really leery of agricultural chemicals. I grew up on a farm, and had an uncle and neighbor die of brain cancer. I'm pretty sure they died because of exposure to the chemicals they were spraying on the crops. Of course the more dangerous chemicals have been taken off the market, but I still think it's a good idea to avoid them. Root vegetables are pretty bad (potatoes, carrots, beets, etc.) and should be peeled before eating them.

Most major grocery stores have organic sections now. Sherm's has aisles of organic stuff, including freezer cases full of organic prepared foods.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When Krogers bought them out, the joke going around was that they would change the name to Freddy Krogers. Back in the '70s they used to have a cafeteria with reasonably priced meals, I think mostly for the employees. I used to grocery shop after work, and would eat dinner before hitting the aisles.

I think it was called "Eve's Cafe." Am I right? I used to eat there whenever I shopped at the Hawthorne Fred's. I took my parents there when they visited me and they loved it. It was a great place for older people on fixed incomes, street people and others not so prosperous. The food was inexpensive and surprisingly pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Whole Foods is one of the big grocery chains actively working against any kind of Organic labeling system that actually has teeth behind it and means something.

I only shop there out of desperation these days,(frequently in the South/Midwest they're the only place to get anything remotely Organic,) and only for the few things that I absolutely need. I'm still ticked over their most likely illegal take over of Wild Oats. And they way they tried to steam roll New Seasons into handing over their ten year business plan and as part of that same lawsuit....

Then there is the way the CEO attacked rivals "anonymously" online. Whole Foods CEO attacked rival online - Business - US business - msnbc.com

Wild Oats was great. They were priced pretty fairly and locally owned. When WF's first came to Portland, I was unfamiliar with them. I really thought they were a giant chain like Wal Mart moving in and pushing out Ma and Pa stores.

The stores like New Seasons or farmers markets may not be much less expensive than WF but at least I think they are trustworthy. And local.

But of course it's a choice. I know people who will not shop at Wal Mart because of what they represent and for the same reasons I avoid Whole Foods. I feel very fortunate that I have options in Portland as to where to shop for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland