Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 PM

343 posts, read 693,295 times

Advertisements

Again, thanks for conveniently omitting parts of my posts to suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
I can easily say Japan has the best public transit system in the world. I don't live there, but am I off-base to make such a comment?
Japan is... oh I don't know, 7000 miles and some change from where I live?

It's an open forum. If you don't like me giving my opinion on things, I'm sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,839,523 times
The 10 Best Cities for Public Transportation: The 10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News & World Report

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
[quote=davemess10;23462244]And I'm guessing during your trip to Portland you spent a lot of time in Lents and Parkrose (ie. two neighborhoods that many consider to be kind of rough (not necessarily me))? You're right I didn't spend much time in "non-touristy" areas of San Fran, why would I when I'm there as a tourist? BART met my needs sufficiently as a tourist, just as TRIMET met your needs here as a tourist. But this question wasn't "I'm coming to visit Portland, will TRIMET work for me?", it was "I'm moving to Portland, locals give me the real dirt about TRIMET".

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences on San. Fran. public transit. I'm sure every single poster on here can give you some horror stories about their experiences on TRIMET. It's all just personal opinion. At Gateway transit center I have SEEN not one, but two guys peeing in public, with their whole pride and joy flapping for the world to see. It happens in every city, and you seem to have a rose-tinted view of TRIMET just because you didn't see it on your trip. So it's not so "night and day" as you claim.[/quote]

Good observation. Wherever there is going to be mass gatherings there is also going to be mass misbehavior. Like the time in the Chicago subway when a guy spit down on the stairwell missing me by about a half inch. He apologized when he saw me because as he stated he "spit without looking."

You are fortunate enough to have encountered the guys peeing on the outside of a vehicle. I once came very close to sitting down on a seat on a bus here in Portland on which a man had just urinated. I was about to set my keester down when I noticed a smell. A very distinctive smell. I stopped just in time.

It would have been nice if someone had warned me, but instead as I looked around for another seat, I saw some people nearby staring at me. One guy finally said, "I was wondering if you were going to sit in that."
The others must have thought it was pretty funny because they laughed at what he said.

I said it before and I will say it again. When one takes public transportation any time any where anything can happen.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,748 times
I think I was so taken aback because, as a guy, it's pretty easy to hide your peeing from the world, all you need is a wall. But there these guys were, without a care in the world. I should also note that one fellow was actually peeing while walking down the bike path! While walking! That is just a recipe for disaster, and a date with the laundromat!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,898 times

Cops Get Owned!!! - Epic Pee Prank - YouTube

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM

343 posts, read 693,295 times
Thank you for your post. This reiterates and confirms what I posted earlier about VTA and Trimet. In my experience the service down there is really nice.

I could post my horror stories on public transport, which makes your guys' stories innocent by comparison. That would just be a big peeing contest though so I'll refrain from that.

Last edited by ramedud; 03-18-2012 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 PM

38 posts, read 55,794 times
Yes, that over-priced aerial tram really helps the mass of Portlanders go from home to work to school to shop and back again without a car.

A car is a requirement in Portland as public transportation is spotty, sometimes dangerous, sometimes smelly and generally a pain in the neck.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by for1500 View Post
Yes, that over-priced aerial tram really helps the mass of Portlanders go from home to work to school to shop and back again without a car.
You mean the tram that was paid over 75% for by the hospital/school that uses it, who also happens to be the biggest employer in Portland? You mean that tram?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Sorry, 85%

"Funding and cost overruns

The project suffered significant cost overruns during its construction. Final cost was nearly four times the initial estimate, a development that nearly led to the tram's cancellation mid-construction. Operating costs are nearly twice original projections.[14] When the city approved the tram project, it was understood that OHSU would pay for most of it.[33] While the taxpayer share has grown, OHSU paid for 85% of the total cost of the tram though it is operated as public transit facility.[5]"

Portland Aerial Tram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,154,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by for1500 View Post

A car is a requirement in Portland as public transportation is spotty, sometimes dangerous, sometimes smelly and generally a pain in the neck.
What does it matter to you? According to you, Portlanders never leave their basements. What do they need with transportation, public or otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland