Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM

10,995 posts, read 20,651,997 times

Advertisements

I think the tram is the unfortunate result of the hospitals and medical school on the hill deciding about 40 years ago not to relocate. I can remember the discussion. As a consequence they are site constrained and access for patients and staff limited.

The tram went way over budget and the contractor had the City ... in a painful position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM

381 posts, read 1,020,057 times
Always wondered about that... on the other hand, it seems like a pretty intelligent way to overcome the whole growth issue in spite of the expense.

Short-term, yeah, kinda dumb-looking. Long-term, the riverside area shows a lot of future breathing room for OHSU (and I daresay the VAMC too, since disabled vets can get up/down the thing for free with their VA card). If they're paying for the majority of it themselves, I have no problem with it.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,486,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think the tram is the unfortunate result of the hospitals and medical school on the hill deciding about 40 years ago not to relocate. I can remember the discussion. As a consequence they are site constrained and access for patients and staff limited.

The tram went way over budget and the contractor had the City ... in a painful position.
Wasn't most of the over budget problem related to the drastic increase in steel prices?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,400,087 times
If anyone's curious about some of the details of how the Aerial Tram was built, this short documentary hits some of the key points...proceeding from this you could do your own further research:

Of the Air, Of the Earth: The Story of the Portland Aerial Tram

Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 AM

38 posts, read 55,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
What does it matter to you? According to you, Portlanders never leave their basements. What do they need with transportation, public or otherwise?
Man are you a picker of nits. If it did not create a headache I would explain to you that even those who live in basements have to emerge to make a living, go to school and maybe shop at a Plaid Pantry.

Why should I have to explain that to you? I should not have to.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 AM

38 posts, read 55,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
You mean the tram that was paid over 75% for by the hospital/school that uses it, who also happens to be the biggest employer in Portland? You mean that tram?
How in the world does the tram negate the need for a car in Portland.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM

381 posts, read 1,020,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by for1500 View Post
How in the world does the tram negate the need for a car in Portland.
Ffweeet! reductio ad absurdum. Five-yard penalty!
(and you brought the tram up originally, so don't gripe about the answers).

For what the tram does, it does very well - namely, it negates the need to drive back and forth between Pill Hill and the riverfront. If you're used to taking the bus to OHSU or the VAMC, you can still do that, and also use the tram to get down to the riverfront.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,572,540 times
You made the statement:
"Yes, that over-priced aerial tram really helps the mass of Portlanders go from home to work to school to shop and back again without a car." And it's actually too. Of course the tram alone does not permit one to live without a car.

The tram has made it possible for THOUSANDS of people at OHSU to get to work without a car (which is actually what you said). People bike, walk, run, skate, or ride the street car or bus to the base of the tram every day. In a few years when the MAX bridge is done, the tram will serve a whole new slew of people as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM

10,995 posts, read 20,651,997 times
Not only folks who work at OHSU/Doernbecher Children's Hospital, but the Veteran's Administration Hospital, Shriner's Children's Hospital, Oregon Dental School (likely have forgotten someone) but their patients and visitors as well.

No denying that it exemplifies the Portland penchant for thinking outside the box when in a squeeze.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,400,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
In a few years when the MAX bridge is done, the tram will serve a whole new slew of people as well.
...and sooner than that, when the Gibbs pedestrian bridge (under construction and very far along now) is completed the entire neighborhood of Lair Hill will have easy walking access to both the tram and the streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland